Need help picking lights!
kriesenbec
I am not a contemporary girl and need help choosing exterior lights for our house at Lake of the Ozarks. Please help me choose! I have attached a photo of outside of house.
kriesenbec
More photos of lights
January 15, 2013 at 8:42pm   
kriesenbec
More choices. Sorry!
January 15, 2013 at 8:43pm   
Scott Design, Inc.
I suggest you consider a large pendant fixture as well as the two sidelights. You can't see the side lights until you are close to the entry. The pendant will provide dramatic curb appeal and balance the large vacant area above the entry with the prominent door below. Take a look at Troy Lighting.
January 15, 2013 at 10:59pm   
Personally I would pick the "Progress Lighting" as it is in between traditional and contemporary which is what the house is from the exterior.
January 16, 2013 at 6:24am   
rubicondreamer
I like the ashmore shown above, a bit more modern. some of the lighting that has a lot of curves looks a tad dated to me for a house that has more modern lines, like yours.
January 16, 2013 at 6:32am   
kriesenbec
Do you like any of these from Troy?
January 16, 2013 at 10:11am   
kriesenbec
Or these
January 16, 2013 at 10:13am   
charlottegirl
Please buy USA made! This store near me sells the most beautiful lights. (Lantern & Scroll, www.lanternandscroll.com) (I found them on Facebook!) Mine cost about $260 each! Check these out!
January 16, 2013 at 2:19pm   
charlottegirl
Please buy American made. This store near me sells beautiful copper light fixtures (Lantern & Scroll, www.lanternandscroll.com I found them on facebook). The ones I bought cost about $260 each, about the same as those above. Definitely worth a call!
January 16, 2013 at 2:24pm   
charlottegirl
Sorry for the double post! I didn't realize the first one posted. I bought the big version and the small version. Cheers!
January 16, 2013 at 2:24pm   
kriesenbec
Thanks.
January 16, 2013 at 2:33pm   
Love, also, to see a hanging lantern. I like the lines of this, if you are looking for something with straight lines, but not contemporary. Like the color of the metal with your front door.

January 16, 2013 at 2:34pm     
Scott Design, Inc.
I feel the positions of the electrical boxes on both the entry and garage doors are too high. The size of your door requires a large wall sconce but even then you may have to lower the electrical boxes as well as move them away from the door trim. You may also have to move the garage electrical boxes as well. You will be in a better position to make this call when you choose your light fixtures.

I have also looked into other lighting mfrs. and found potential lights from companies such as Minka- Lavery, Capital Lighting, Hanover Lantern, Northeast Lantern, Artcraft, and Murray Feiss. The links are too numerous to list here but if you send me your email, I can forward the info and why I selected the fixture. My email is sfixary@scottdesigninc.com.

It is always best to go to a lighting showroom and look at the light and judge its value...quality vs. price. It's impossible to do it off the web unless you are familiar with the manufacturers.
January 17, 2013 at 11:00am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Scott Design is giving you good advice. The current fixtures are too high and much too small for the space. I personally like the two bottom Acclaim lights as you need something tall and better proportioned to the space.
January 17, 2013 at 11:14am   
kriesenbec
I just sent you my email address. Thank you so much for your help. I did know the lights are too high both on the garage and at the front door. The house is stucco and my husband says it will be too costly to move them down so I will have to pick light fixtures that hang down versus upright. Maybe that will help. You are so nice to take time out to look at this for me!
January 17, 2013 at 11:17am   
charlottegirl
I had the same problem (too high boxes on an old house) and Lantern & Scroll just made a different backplate, and we didn't have to move the electrical boxes! Saved us so much money from hiring the electrician. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
January 17, 2013 at 5:27pm   
solraven
I like the 2nd one, Sea Gull Trafalgar. The house is pretty angular. If you don't like modern, adding some curved elements would soften it.
January 17, 2013 at 5:37pm   
kriesenbec
Thank you for telling me about the backplates. I didn't know they could do that!
January 17, 2013 at 6:00pm   
need help picking a new ceiling light for kitchen
We are remodeling our kitchen and want to replace or...
Need help with picking the right light fixture
This chandelier is huge. I chose it over 10 years ago...
Need help picking pendant lights
My house is new construction so it's hard to have a...
Arts & Crafts Dining Room Buffet Confusion!
Hi all...I have a 1923 Bungalow. Arts & Crafts but...
Kitchen help desperately needed!
Please help me figure this out! I'm not planning on...
NEW HOME.....BLANK SLATE!
We recently moved in and am ready to decorate! I have...
Pendant lighting sizing
My new kitchen island will be 4-4.5 feet wide and 9-10...