Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmbrkall

need help on my laundry room

hmbrkall
11 years ago
have small laundry room. door opens inward to left. have bright green paint and wall art of green birds on brown branches, Should I paint whole room top to bottom? Or divide? Maybe just bottom green, or leave space white for the wall art>or paint top green leave bottom white? Any suggestions?

Comments (33)

• Susan Chrysler
    11 years ago
    Paint the whole thing green. You could add some moulding and beadboard in white. Change out that ugly wire shelf with some Hobby Lobby brackets and some scrap wood from Lowe's. Cheap upgrade.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    My laundry used to be green with red floor - looked great, so go green!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    If you're hesitant to paint the whole area the bright green, you might consider just the washer/dryer accent wall and then add some fun accents like this laundry basket from Crate and Barrel.
    Woven Green and White Laundry Basket · More Info
  • hmbrkall
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Great suggestions, so far. I had thought about a moulding about the height of the appliances. And I agree about the ugly shelf:) But Im not real handy when it comes to hanging shelves. I would definently prefer some nice cabinets or shelving. Money is kinda an issue right now, so the scrap idea could work.
  • Susan Chrysler
    11 years ago
    You could take a piece of scrap wood and lay it over the top of the shelf, take a piece of moulding and glue in onto the face of the shelf to cover the wire and paint it white, too. I wish I would have done this while I am waiting for my cabinets to be installed over my w&d.
  • Jennifer Hayes
    11 years ago
    Paint, add curtains to hide wire shelves. painted plywood to cover bottom shelf. Small lamp $10 at wallmart ...My doors kept falling down so I removed them... This was a catch all, now I can stand to look at it.. Will update (embellish) curtains when I have extra cash
  • sealedesign
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    top half paint green only on back wall, add narrow shelf 36" from floor where bottom white and top green meet. This takes the place of molding and adds storage. Get Ikea shelves and brackets. Google on the internet how to do shelves attached to studs. Maybe 2 shelves if you have other things to store.
  • brookbend
    11 years ago
    Could you post a quick picture of your art, so we can get a sense of what you like?
  • dianabermudez
    11 years ago
    Color helps but wondering if you're addressing the functionality of shelving and other items used to sort clothes and hang dry & lay out clothing not dried in washer. If so, any suggestions of good places to look for these items?
  • PRO
    c|s design
    11 years ago
    This is almost the same size laundry room we have. For us, we went with pure utility. We also took out the swinging door and added a barn style door; it works great and doesn't cramp the space. (FYI, the pic below is not of the laundry room door, its another one in the house being installed, but I thought I'd show you what I meant since I don't have an updated photo of the laundry room on this computer.)
  • auntagatha
    11 years ago
    I have three 16-inch deep, adjustable shelves above my washer and dryer made out of the white laminate shelving availiable at Lowes. We used the brackets with the metal strips on the wall. We also moved my washer and dryer close together and hung an ironing caddy on the wall by the washer where I also keep my drying rack. On the wall opposite, we made a folding table that folds down when not in use. And guess what, the walls are green!
  • beverlynn
    11 years ago
    @kdeley, thanks for posting your picture! My laundry room is that size. I have been trying to figure out how to get more storage space. Cabinets and shelf would be perfect! Is that a granite shelf above the washer/dryer?
  • lionnessone
    11 years ago
    Remove the wire shelf. You need to add a hide-a-way divider between the washer and dryer to house all your laundry needs..
    I would do beadboard from the floor to about ¾ high add plate molding to the top of the bead molding install crown molding along the ceiling. Paint the beadboard an off white the wall space in green and the crown molding off white.
    I personally love White Dove (OC-17) from Benjamin Moore great for moldings and beadboard. If you choose a green, keep it soft and elegant, something in the line of Glazed Green (CC-580) from Benjamin Moore..........................So what do you think?
    [houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/2007-parade-of-homes-village-traditional-laundry-room-denver-phvw-vp~1849206][houzz=][houzz=
    Our Mini Manor · More Info
    ]
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    beverlynn, you're quite welcome. The cabinets store all my cleaning supplies and whatnot, there is no linen or broom closet in this house (??) so I had to find some storage. I actually wish I had ordered taller cabinets, but as it is I need a step stool.

The countertop is laminate. I have granite in the rest of the house, but i need to be able to remove that counter in the event I need to pull out the washer or dryer. I just chose a laminate similar to my granite for continuity.

The countertop probably won't work with your top loaders though. But maybe you could have a work surface that hinges and folds up against the wall when you're not using it.
  • malaniejane
    11 years ago
    Love the Barn style door idea to regain space. For something more light and airy you could use curtains, held back by curtain ties, or the curtain panels from Ikea and slide over the doorway. with all that extra space you might even have a little room in the corner for a tall, clear floor vase with twigs in it to reflect your wall art!
  • peudledogmum
    11 years ago
    1) Replace the door with a bifold that folds out.
    2) Look for cheap MDF cabinets you put together yourself and hang them above your w/d for storage. Much better than shelves. Check out walmart for the diy ones. They are pretty cheap.
    3) Colour: just paint it all green. The art will stand out more and don't waste your time and money on trim etc in such a small room. You're not in there long enough to enjoy it anyway.
  • PRO
    jesus
    11 years ago
    I say just make patterns on the wall some green and some white then go to wall-mart and buy a little shelf that goes on top of your washer and drier it will work out just perfictly
  • hmbrkall
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    this is the wall art. I did decide to paint the whole thing. But I may go back and block out some white for the wall art. Not sure if it will show up on the green. I wish I had the front loaders. Really nice! Maybe one of these days. I do love the look of the cabinets! That is a definent in the future. For now I will have to deal with the shelves. I may dress them up with the moulding on the front as mentioned.And nice baskets are a great touch.Not sure if I would have room for the drawers in between the wash/dry but I like the idea. I had thought of that.
  • hmbrkall
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    wall art
  • hmbrkall
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also crown moulding would be an option to make the color pop! And I know this is a laundry room and its small. But I do spend alot of time in here:)) Unfortunately..
  • PRO
    Rachel Oliver Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    Here is something I did with the tiniest laundry room I've ever seen. The vertical stripes make it seem larger. The ceiling was painted a muted celery color just to add some interest in the windowless room. The 70s chandelier was spray-painted and I added some crystals for some pizzazz.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    hmbrkall, please post some pics when you're all done so we can see how it turns out!
  • PRO
    jesus
    11 years ago
    ok
  • hmbrkall
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I sure will... .Rachel that is really elegant! love it!
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    DO NOT PAINT THE ENTIRE ROOM GREEN! You'll be vibrating in there...
    Paint the walls a lighter tone of soft watery green, or complimentary tone to your flooring. Add white floating Ikea shelves across the top of your washer and dryer for storage. Then add bright lime green accessories / baskets and the like, for your bursts of bright, fresh green.
    Easy to change when you tire of the green...
  • DeHaven
    11 years ago
    I think paint the whole thing green, and you don't have to paint a section white. If the green paint is the same colour as your little bird then add some white paint to lighten your original green, that way your bird, the brown and the white flowers will all show up. It will just be a bit more subtle.
    Sounds like there are some good ideas here to add as the budget allows. Have fun.
  • hmbrkall
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Haha! too late.... I have already painted it all green. But its paint .... It can thankfully be changed as easy as a brush stroke:)) Ive learned that in the past. Marie I love those cabinets, and the sink as well. Nice touch:))
  • Susan Chrysler
    11 years ago
    I was told that front loaders are being phased out. Most of the Pinterest and Houzz postings feature these machines, so I am excited to see how this turns out for you:)
  • hmbrkall
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks:) Me too... My husband has a hard time with my painting projects. Haha! but the end result is usually to his liking. He said he didnt care if I painted it orange! MMMMmmm I told him watch for what you say.haha
  • beverlynn
    11 years ago
    Thanks again, kdeley! My machines are front loaders so the shelf will work! That makes sense about removing the shelf if necessary, so I will do laminate! I also have granite throughout the house and was thinking, "Do I really want to put granite in the laundry room??
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    beverlynn -- LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking too! And sorry -- I think I got my names mixed up there for a bit! Good luck with your laundry room -- post a before/after for us to see.
  • beverlynn
    11 years ago
    Will do!