Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricknhope

Windowless Wood-paneled Dining Area!

Hope
11 years ago
My dining area is dark, really dark. It used to be the bathroom of the old log cabin before we did a small addition last year. The rotted floor is going to be torn up and replaced with some wood in a herringbone or some other offset pattern.

Because the walls are wood, my options for installing lights are limited: I can only do a swag chandelier over the table because of the beam over head. (The chain will swag over toward the mirror where the power source will be installed.) I was also thinking of tucking track lighting (with micro heads) along the beam above the cabinet, so the lights could reflect off the glassware and create some ambiance.

I was also thinking of putting two sconces next to the mirror, as the electrician said he could run the cables down from the ceiling. He said he would use flat black cables.

I think I want to err on the side of getting perhaps too many layers of light into the area?

I was thinking of using a chandelier similar to the candelabra in the photo?

I was thinking of sconces that already match the ones in the living area. But am I just repeating a poor choice?

What are your gut reactions? The rug and table can go. I can't paint the walls unless you kill the husband first. I am toying with painting the kitchen cabinets in the future.... so if you have ideas about tying everything together I welcome that.

The electrician was supposed to come today, but I'm just not confident about my choices. With your help, I am looking forward to sharing some beautiful "after" pictures very soon!

Comments (8)

• Hope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Michigammemom, Love your input. I like the idea of tying the two rooms together with the red Oriental rug. And I will opt for rectangular. I have been scouring log-cabin discussions for ideas and help and I think there is a consensus against hanging art work and instead to opt for wall sculpture. I opted for the mirror as a way to bring ambient light into the space as it does brighten it up considerably in the absence of any natural light. Perhaps I need to work on what's being reflected -- the messy catchall at the end of the kitchen counter and that overly bright fruit painting! Good feedback... thanks!
  • taderbug68
    11 years ago
    If you can't paint or at least white wash to lighten up the space, the best recourse as in any deeply colored room is the secret of using lighting on all different levels. It will make all the difference in the coziness of the room. I would also suggest using colorful art work and other decorative items on the walls and even lighter type of wood finish for the table and chairs if possible to replace what you have. If not, a tablecloth or placemats in a lighter colorful shade to pick up the colors of other items in the room, even adding a bright colored flower arrangement would serve to bring in some cheeriness. I have the same type of room and did all of the above plus recently added a light colored area rug and just love it!
  • ruthmand
    11 years ago
    Please check out Hubbardton Forge as michigammemom suggested. They make great lights that would truly suit your space. It will be difficult to make your cabin very bright as wood absorbs a lot of light, but isn't that a part of the charm? And forget consesus, that is only a majority of opinions, you live there - make it yours!
  • Hope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    taderbug, can you post photos of your space? I found it so hard to locate similar dark and windowless spaces. I'm afraid of putting too much decoration in the space as it's so so small. I agree with using multiple layers of lighting. I would love to see what finish table you used and what types of chairs you chose.
  • Hope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Michigammemom and others.... I went to Hubbardton Forge and saw some items. Did you have anything in mind? I liked some of these chandeliers. Also I have on order a set of sconces from Minska Lavery (the criss cross) or would a Hubbardton Forge be better? (I have no idea on price... always a factor-- sigh).
  • taderbug68
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Here are pictures of my dining room. I have a description of what we did under each picture on my ideabooks if you want to look there. I thought it would show up here, but just the pictures came through!
  • Hope
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like how you layered the light and you made an inviting choice with your rug. I'm still battling with my wooden walls, though. What a nice space you created. I will check out your idea books!
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!