Central Vacuum - should we get one?
April Haralson
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Currently working with an architect on our new home. I want a central vacuum because we have two labs that shed A LOT, but we will have a detached garage and the architect says it will be really loud in our laundry room. Also, my husband is questioning its worth. What are your thoughts? Are they worth it? Anyone have experience with one in their home?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sue166
We have had one for 14 years in our house. It has recently stopped sucking well, but I believe we just need to have it serviced. All in all, I have enjoyed having one. We also have multiple dogs and cats and the fur can get out of hand. One nice feature you can get with one is the automatic dustpan which allows you to sweep or dust mop and then press a lever with your foot and it will suck down what you have swept up. I have 3 of these in various places in the house.

If you have a crawlspace that's accessible, you can place it there. That is where our's is located and I never hear it. I suggest getting the most suction you can. And they do work well. I believe our's is a NuTone. I don't know if they still sell them...
January 16, 2013 at 1:42pm     
judianna20
Good advice from sue 166. I wouldn't be without a central vac. As for the noise, of course, like any vacuum there is noise. :>) You could have your builder put the canister is a closet and insulate it, if it is of great concern.

The very best is that the canister and bag are not in the room you are vacuuming. With dogs and cats, or allergies, I think that is significant.

Go see the guy at Vacuum Mart or whoever will be installing it and talk to him.
January 16, 2013 at 1:51pm     
April Haralson
Thank you so much for your advice. Sue166, we're going to have wood and tile throughout, so I hope to have the automatic dustpans all over the house. Judyg, I will contact our closest vendor to see if they have a working model and discuss options. Thanks again!
January 17, 2013 at 4:07pm