Need help on flooring material for kitchen
berkeleypl
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have an "open concept" kitchen that flows in to a family room with hard wood. The current kitchen has a porcelain terra cotta type tile. We don't want to do wood (or wood tile) because we think it would look odd next to all of the other wood in the house (since it won't be the same).

We like travertine and slate, but we've been scared off of natural stone due to the staining/scratching reputation. We've looked at porcelain travertine and slate. My concern is that it looks ok, but you know it's fake.

Any recommendations or opinions on my situation? My contractor told me we need 200 sq ft of flooring. We're going with a dark stain on cherry cabinets and marble-like Caesar Stone counters.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feeny
I've heard such good things about travertine for floors, but I don't have it myself so I can't give you a first hand recommendation. But it has been highly recommended by some of the professional designers here for kitchens and houses with big dogs, so my impression is that scratching is not a serious problem.
January 16, 2013 at 10:10AM     
onthefence
We've got a travertine look tile that we got at Home Depot. I've been really pleased with it. The link shows the color. We actually put in 12x12 tiles with a deep beige ground. It butts up next to the oak hardwood in the kitchen and looks great. I've been really pleased with it. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-Court-Travertine-Noce-6-in-x-3-in-Travertine-Wall-Floor-Tile-1pack-8pieces-1sq-ft-99100/202309900/
January 16, 2013 at 10:19AM     
Bromma
I am currently planning on installing black slate 12x24 as a base for our kitchen. With the kitchen essentially placed within the base it will create a frame around the entire thing. It will join directly to a wooden floor also. This is an example on Houzz that is not exactly the same but you will get the idea.
January 16, 2013 at 11:51AM     
hmschoolmom
We chose PermaStone as alternative to ceramic or other stone surfaces because the rest if our downstairs has wood flooring. It's not as cold and unforgiving if I drop something and no grout to keep clean.
January 17, 2013 at 12:10PM     
berkeleypl
Thanks everyone! We went with 12x24 porcelain. Gray with gray and brown steaks. Called "tea leaf" or something like that.
March 12, 2013 at 6:25PM