Quick question about covering vents
herberb
I'd like to put a larger rug in our entry but doing so would cover up our heat vent. I'm not concerned about losing heat from the vent. If I cover it with one of those magnetic vent covers, do you think it would be OK to put a rug over top of that?
sealedesign
I'd get the rug and cut the hole in it. remove the vent cover and put that on top of the rug. It should blend in and work perfectly. No reason not to have a hole in the rug but I guess it could be a pain to clean under it.
January 16, 2013 at 1:27pm   
sealedesign
Like you said a vent cover is fine.
January 16, 2013 at 1:28pm   
herberb
Wait...not crazy about having a cut out in an accent rug. A carpet, yes, but I think it would look really weird on a small accent rug. Was just asking if it would be safe to cover it (not a fire hazard). My options are slightly smaller rug than what is there, so as to not cover the vent, or to cover it completely with a rug the width of the side door panels and be able to go larger. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
January 16, 2013 at 6:55pm   
janamdavis
Most vents have a little adjuster attached that allows you to close off the register. You could do that, assuming you have one (if not, you can easily pick up a replacement at big box store. Make sure you measure for your replacement though, as they do come in different sizes. Your air will then be rerouted to the next nearest vent and you wont have to worry about it. Cover away. =)
January 16, 2013 at 7:18pm   
Why not consider a larger rug? Get one as wide as the door and sidelights to extend to the stairs.Lay it down just a few inches past the vent. It should extend to the stairs and leave the same space of flooring there as at the door and vent.
January 16, 2013 at 8:27pm     
decoratingdeb
You could do a large circular rug to break up the squareness and it might then allow room for vent
January 16, 2013 at 8:29pm   
jinkster
I put a big bamboo area rug in our foyer right on top of the closed vent with no issues or problems. If you don't need the heat cover away!
January 16, 2013 at 9:02pm   
herberb
Thanks for all your help. We do have a vent cover where we can close it off but I wasn't sure if for fire hazard reasons, if this was enough if a rug covered the entire vent, so I thought the magnetic cover would just be extra protection. I want the width of the rug because right now, people walk in the front door and need to stand on this tiny mat to wipe their feet. And, since I wouldn't want anything asymmetrical, I want the rug to go wide on the other side where the vent is. Circular would look nice but I'd like the rug to wipe feet on as people walk in (we do not have a covered front porch). I do want a larger rug, maybe going all the way to the stairs would be nice, depending on rug sizes. Really need a patterned rug that can get dirt on it from shoes! Just really was concerned about the heat trapped under the rug being a fire hazard.
January 18, 2013 at 2:05pm   
voidemails
I was once advised not to cover up the vents by a HVAC expert. The closed vent forces the air back to the fan thus creating pressure, and ultimately problems with the heater etc. The issue came up because my furnace went off and when researching why, it is because I had quite a few vents closed out because my family was out of town for a month. The expert advised me not to close even 1 vent, because the HVAC channels are not designed to distribute the blocked air, they are designed for only 1 way air flow.

So long story short, I would recommend to try and not cover the vent.
May 16, 2014 at 11:53am     
Denita
I wouldn't close or cover the vent. It will mess with your HVAC system's balance. Do what deco suggested above so you don't cover the vent. Here is a link that explains it a little better http://www.amgableheatingandcooling.com/id16.html
May 16, 2014 at 12:00pm   
A quick question about the tile?
Hi, this is absolutely lovely! Can you tell me what...
Just a quick question about mixing finishes: bronze/silver
We just bought a home built in 1992 and it definitely...
Quick question about materials
What is the countertop? Honed granite or marble?
I have a question about a vent hood
What is the brand of this beautiful vent? Tnx:)
Question about ceiling vent.
There is a vent located on the ceiling. Is this for...
Bar Area?
We have this empty room and would love to have a "hanging...
Describe eclectic in one word!
It can be tricky describing a specific style in one...
I want to know review regarding camel bone furniture for home.
Can I use camel bone sofa set & dining table for home?...
How do you end chairrail to a noncased arched doorway?
We have an arched doorway (eyebrow arch) with no casing....
White ash woodfloor or brown plzzzz help!
Hi! We have a medium size apartment, having a hard...