Kitchen island (facia)...
amscook
I'm doing some redecorating of the kitchen/living room area. Curtains are being made and will be picked up on Friday afternoon. I'm attaching a picture of the fabric being used. The kitchen arches and wall by the powder room I've painted a deep eggplant color and an ivory color with a hint of green for the rest of the kitchen/living room.

The kitchen and part of the living room before was a dark yellow/gold and the long wall of the living room was a dark green. The room was waaayy too dark even with these huge windows. I still wanted drama, hence the eggplant color.

Also attached is the granite in the kitchen.

What would you do to the black area (facia) of the island in the kitchen? I can't see myself painting it the same eggplant color....what say you?
Julia Hale
You need a rug! on the island paint light color and glaze it.
January 16, 2013 at 3:09pm   
House of Holland - TX
Could you send a few more pictures of the other materials in your kitchen? It's hard to tell from these. Wow! The fireplace is very unique and cool!
January 16, 2013 at 3:19pm     
amscook
You're right Julia! Maybe down the road....2 big dogs and the rainy season in Panama means lots of muddy dog paws. Once I get that dilemma worked out, I'll be sure to get one. ;-)

I've never glazed before....I'll start googling now!
January 16, 2013 at 3:21pm   
It matches the black at the fireplace so maybe leave it. You could pull a color from the drapery.
January 16, 2013 at 3:25pm     
anitajoyce
Paint it white or beige. to lighten up the area.
January 16, 2013 at 3:27pm     
amscook
HoH - Not sure what you are wanting, but we do have this big armoire in the living room that I use for extra dishes and glassware. We do not have overhead cabinets (and I'm fine with that) The refrigerator and gas stove are both stainless steel. We have 2 dishwashers in the house (me and my s/o). Here's a picture of the armoire....right before I painted that corner the off white. Excuse the mess!!
January 16, 2013 at 3:28pm     
amscook
Here's the granite
January 16, 2013 at 3:29pm   
House of Holland - TX
I'm inclined to say just to keep it dark - you have other dark trim so I don't think it looks too "off" and since you have some other really great features going on I think going lighter draws attention to something that doesn't really need it. Love the armoire too! Are you keeping this space yellow?
January 16, 2013 at 3:33pm     
amscook
HoH Thanks!! Nope, I'm painting that area the ivory color too. Don't worry, there is a ton of color throughout the rest of the house...this area though was so dark that after a year of living with it, it was time to change it. Here's a pic of the green wall before painting and I think you'll know what I mean.
January 16, 2013 at 3:40pm   
House of Holland - TX
Holy cow! I know you're in the tropics but...... wow. I can understand why you're going 180 degrees different! But what you've done and are doing works. Good job!
January 16, 2013 at 3:49pm     
Charla Haggard
Like your idea for the ivory color. That will look nice. I would suggest that you pull a color from your new drapes and put down a rug in your living room to soften the look. Choose a color that will tie everything together since you do have a variety of colors. Think it will look great!
January 16, 2013 at 4:12pm     
amscook
Just wanted to give everyone an update and to say thank again for you help and comments! The curtains came in yesterday and will need a bit of tweaking....but I think I can say that I'm on to the next room!
February 1, 2013 at 7:19am   
Design challenge, planning around weight bearing walls.
Just purchased a new home and looking to redo the current...
Need help picking gray exterior paint color
I am having the hardest time picking an exterior paint...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...