Need help with kitchen update

diane267January 17, 2013
I would love some suggestions on paint color. Unfortunately financially we can't change out the cabinets but would consider new flooring or countertops. Kitchen is open to family room which is a wheat color with chocolate upholstery. I welcome any suggestions. My husband is handy and we are also considering creating a pass through on the unusable high bar.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lillian's Paintbrush
Have you considered PAINTING the cabinets? It's far less expensive than replacing them and doing so can radically change the look of the kitchen. But painted on not, by replacing the hardware for an updated finish can upgrade your kitchen as well. by carrying the living room color in you wil "enlarge" the space, then let new countertops and hardware steal the show.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 5:59AM
ldilegge
Your cabinets look like they are in good shape. Right now your walls and cabinets blend together making it look blah. Take a look at Moroccan Red by Benjamin Moore. Its a warm red and will contrast nicely with the oak cabinets and white trim. Painted my old kitchen that color and when we remodeled it, used the same color because I loved it so much. Photo is of pre-remodeled kitchen. Now I have white trim and it stands out beautifully. Change out counters and add tile to the area under cabinets. The red will also go nicely with your family room.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 6:15AM
PRO
Dytecture
The floor looks fine. I would spend the money on updating the countertop and perhaps changing the wall color to create some contrast.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 11:54AM
diane267
Thanks for the input. I never considered pulling the other color in from the living room. Is there a program to change the color as shown above. This would help me to decide on the right color. What type of hardware would work well with oak?
    Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 5:39AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi diane267!
In addition to painting the walls, but instead of replacing the counters or floors, why not consider adding a tile backsplash that extends from the counter to the bottom of the upper cabinets? It would be an easy way to add a lot more visual interest to your kitchen, especially if you did a really cool mosaic. I personally love the contrast of light blues and greens against oak cabinets like the ones you have, but I also love the purple posted by Dytecture. So here's my idea: a light bluish purple on the walls, and a backsplash that incorporates greens, blues, and teals. The paint color below is Benjamin Moore 'Enchanted', and the mosaics are from our site. Just some ideas and inspiration for you!
    Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 8:18AM
diane267
Thank you I love the greenish beige color tile. I am not really a blue person. How do you end the tile where the doorway to the dining room is?
    Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 8:35AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
End the backsplash where the cabinets and the counters end and don't worry about the little gap between the cabinets and the doorway.
    Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 7:25AM