Need help with kitchen update

diane267January 17, 2013
I would love some suggestions on paint color. Unfortunately financially we can't change out the cabinets but would consider new flooring or countertops. Kitchen is open to family room which is a wheat color with chocolate upholstery. I welcome any suggestions. My husband is handy and we are also considering creating a pass through on the unusable high bar.
Lillian's Paintbrush
Have you considered PAINTING the cabinets? It's far less expensive than replacing them and doing so can radically change the look of the kitchen. But painted on not, by replacing the hardware for an updated finish can upgrade your kitchen as well. by carrying the living room color in you wil "enlarge" the space, then let new countertops and hardware steal the show.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 5:59AM
ldilegge
Your cabinets look like they are in good shape. Right now your walls and cabinets blend together making it look blah. Take a look at Moroccan Red by Benjamin Moore. Its a warm red and will contrast nicely with the oak cabinets and white trim. Painted my old kitchen that color and when we remodeled it, used the same color because I loved it so much. Photo is of pre-remodeled kitchen. Now I have white trim and it stands out beautifully. Change out counters and add tile to the area under cabinets. The red will also go nicely with your family room.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 6:15AM
The floor looks fine. I would spend the money on updating the countertop and perhaps changing the wall color to create some contrast.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 11:54AM
diane267
Thanks for the input. I never considered pulling the other color in from the living room. Is there a program to change the color as shown above. This would help me to decide on the right color. What type of hardware would work well with oak?
    Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 5:39AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi diane267!
In addition to painting the walls, but instead of replacing the counters or floors, why not consider adding a tile backsplash that extends from the counter to the bottom of the upper cabinets? It would be an easy way to add a lot more visual interest to your kitchen, especially if you did a really cool mosaic. I personally love the contrast of light blues and greens against oak cabinets like the ones you have, but I also love the purple posted by Dytecture. So here's my idea: a light bluish purple on the walls, and a backsplash that incorporates greens, blues, and teals. The paint color below is Benjamin Moore 'Enchanted', and the mosaics are from our site. Just some ideas and inspiration for you!
    Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 8:18AM
diane267
Thank you I love the greenish beige color tile. I am not really a blue person. How do you end the tile where the doorway to the dining room is?
    Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 8:35AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
End the backsplash where the cabinets and the counters end and don't worry about the little gap between the cabinets and the doorway.
    Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 7:25AM
Need help for kitchen update on a budget
We have a contemporary floor plan with a kitchen that...
Carol Fleming
Need help/advice for kitchen update. Want to maximize space
I am looking to update my kitchen in the next year...
jneblett88
Need help with kitchen update!
We just bought a new house and want to update the kitchen...
izzyjardin
Ann Haden
need help with kitchen cabinet update
We have outdated oak cabinets in our kitchen. I painted...
connie
Need price for the tray
Hey guys, I saw this tray on West elm website and fell...
Enchante
What goes with the tile below?
What color and type of kitchen cabinets would look...
ManLand LandMan
Printing of books magazine printing
At print heal Book Printing Services, publishers and...
Hard Case
Anyone else nervous about gray paint?
I know gray is the IT color scheme right now - 5 minutes...
Rebecca
small living room needs ideas??
I just painted my living room walls "dry sage"...
snazzisteel
Sponsored Products
Nook Sleep Systems | Pebble Full Mattress
YLiving.com
Trellis Hearts Giclee Glow 16"W Bronze Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
White Floor Lamps: 16-1/2 in. Trendy Sheer White Shade Floor Lamp with Hanging C
Home Depot
Pele White Glass Satin Nickel LED Tech Lighting MonoRail Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Fresno Black 52-Inch x 84-Inch Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$24.95 | Bellacor
San Luca Dining Arm Chair Cushion, Patio Furniture
$59.00 | FRONTGATE