Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryinparadise

Boring buffet - Please help!

maryinparadise
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I don't know what to do to decorate the top of this buffet. I was happy with it at Christmas time when I had greenery garland woven thru the candles and two large golden reindeer, but now it is so boring! It's a rather large piece of furniture visible from our entry. It is 70" wide and 20" deep. I would like to keep the horse metal art on the wall above as my father had it made for me, but the floor lamp can be moved if it doesn't complement the future design. I'd love for someone to tell me the perfect way to scape it!

Comments (9)

• suzstag
    11 years ago
    I would relocate the horse medallion. Being this is a visual part to your home when people enter, I would suggest a large mirror about the hutch piece. A grouping of small topiary trees a top the hutch . i would remove the the red fabric on top currently
  • User
    11 years ago
    I think the buffet has a lot of visual interest. I would move the horse up higher on the wall. Instead of the candle stick holder in the middle, I would get two substantial black candle stick holders for both sides or a lantern style for each side.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Like both suggestions above - try the mirror and also try moving the horse higher - you will be able to see what looks best - (the mirror might lighten the space best) This piece IS NOT BORING - make it stand out! The floor lamp doesn't go with the horse or candles or the hutch - choose a small table lamp on the left side of the hutch since you have natural light from the window - move the plant (nice and healthy BTW) to the corner near window after you move the floor lamp. Also as was suggested, go to HOMEGOODS and find a vase or a piece of decor - especially if you decide on the mirror - this is one of those "you just have to experiment" kinda things! Have fun
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    The horse is beautiful and it should remain the focus on this wall. Remove the lamp and the small dish on the left. Then I think you should play with objects that produce an asymmetrical balance. My inclination is to slide the scroll candleholder to the right and balance it with a taller candlestick or vase on the left. Try different objects, pottery, plants, a plate--nothing smaller than the scroll candleholder nor larger than the horse--until you get it right.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Proportion is key. Move your runner, candles and glass container to that table on the right. Get three big chunky and tall candles of different heights to put on the tray under horses front hooves. Get a waterproof holder and set your pothos on the other end of the buffet under his rear hooves.. Put the floor lamp to the left where the plant was so it is not wedged in looking. See if that feels better.
  • PRO
    Raashi Design
    11 years ago
    I'd say, paint the wall a darker color. Replace the existing candle holder with a couple of taller ones on one side, a small planter or a big decorative bowl/platter on the right. I agree with the suggestion that the lamp needs to be replaced. May be a good idea to add a lamp on the buffet.
  • maryinparadise
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Some great ideas here, and I can't wait to try them out. Keeping the art horse, (will raise it a bit as suggested), but will ditch the floor lamp as recommended. I'll also probably remove the lightweight candle arrangement, and experiment with some larger accessories or lamps on the sides. Thank you all so much, I was stumped till I saw all your suggestions!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Mirror behind the buffet with a thicker frame in either silver or wood. Add a buffet lamp, vase, bowl of fruit, rustic jars, or flower arrangement. Since the buffet is a dark wood, I would stay away from iron or dark metallic decor. Use ceramic or porcelain pieces.