Help with kitchen sink please
lalmstedt
We are getting ready to remodel the kitchen and will be using a quartz counter top and of course a new sink. One of my major goals for the new kitchen is a clean uncluttered counter and back splash. I have just been told that I have to have an air vent for my dishwasher. They tell me it is necessary. Is there anyway to not have it on my counter top? I will have a single handle faucet, a soap dispenser and the garbage disposal button already. I was hoping to keep it at that.

Thanks
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I have seen this question asked before. It is not required in our area at all. If you don't mind, I just want to follow this thread for our own learning as we don't understand why it is required. Hope you get some good answers.
January 17, 2013 at 12:55pm   
lalmstedt
I hope I get some good answers also and please follow the thread. I live in Southern California - one of the most regulated places in the country. I was told by the plumbing store that I had to have the vent. I will ask some questions from others and see what I can find out.
January 17, 2013 at 1:29pm   
onthefence
Hi Lalmstedt - another Californian here who hates the air gap. I've been planning a kitchen forever - but something I read about a couple years ago is a Johnson T. It is plumbed different under the sink and vents to the outside of the house. If you google search Johnson T Dishwasher you'll see some articles and a couple photos. I don't know if these are code in CA - but my fingers are crossed ;-)
January 17, 2013 at 1:50pm   
lalmstedt
onthefence,

Thank you for your lead. I have checked out the Johnson Tee. It seems to be something that is local to the Pacific Northwest. It is not expensive, under $50 including shipping to CA. I am going to check with my city and see if I can get a variance to use it. The Johnson Tee will only work if you can vent it to the outside of the house, which I can.

The other thing I have learned is that a number of people have replaced the air vet with a soap dispenser after they have had their final inspection. I am not inclined to do this.

The air vent is safety feature that keeps water draining from the dishwasher from getting into the main water supply if the dishwasher line becomes clogged - that is my simple explanation. The air vent has to be above the top level of the sink. If the drain line from the DW becomes blocked the dirty drain water will come out of the air vent and hopefully go into the sink. I actually know this because I have had it happen. For this reason I don't want to replace the air vent with the soap dispenser.

If my city will not give me a variance for the Johnson Tee I will install the air vent, remove it and put the soap dispenser in and add the Johnson Tee vented to the outside.

For more information about the Johnson Tee and some lengthily discussions on the subject, do a Google search for Johnson Tee and dishwasher air vents. Hope this is of some help to anyone with this problem.

Thanks,

Lorra
January 21, 2013 at 6:38pm     
onthefence
Hey Lorra, thanks for the update. I'll admit I haven't read extensively on the Johnson Tee - but when I first read about it, I liked the idea because I dislike the look of airgaps so much! I do know that venting of some sort is necessary. I'm always a little surprised at places that don't require venting.

I've read about the soap dispenser thing too. Like you, I don't really want one of those. I DO want a hot water dispenser but haven't researched far enough to know if the location of the airgap would be roughly the same as a hot water dispenser.

Another thing I've read is that Miele DWs are often passed by inspectors as not needing airgaps. While that sounds promising, Miele is a pricey brand - and it seems a bit of a gamble to me that you *might* be able to pass without an airgap.

I really like your idea of the airgap switch-out THEN installing the Johnson Tee. I hadn't thought of that. Quite brilliant! You still get a vent - and a better looking countertop.

Thanks again for your research on this!
January 21, 2013 at 10:05pm   
Pendants and chandelier (s) for remodeled kitchen and dining room?
We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we need...
Would LOVE input to jazz up my home exterior
Hey I would love some advice on how to increase curb...
Need help with my kitchen
We just bought a 1925 Craftsman style bungalow. The...
Shower door
What would be considered standard height for a custom...
I don't like seeing my kitchen from the front door
The floor plan needs serious help. How can I make...