Love, love the valances. Could you tell me more about them?
prisbent
January 18, 2013 in Photo Questions
I am not able to see these very well, but I think I would like to make something similar if these are not available. Would love to know if they can be purchased or if I could have details of these. Thank you.
Michelle
Hi Prisbent:

These valances are homemade and are, actually, really easy to make. It is basically a long piece of fabric, two and a half times the width of the window, and, in this case, 14'' high, with fabric tabs (hanging loops) every 14' inches. The first tab and the last ones being placed at 14'' from each end of the valance. That leaves you with a hanging piece of valance after the first and the last tab that you simply turn in to form a loose cone shape. You just have to add the trim and decorative buttons if you want to emulate what I have done in the photograph.

The first picture attached will give you a better idea, although the rods are white now, because I had to adapt the color and design to some new furniture, as shown on the second picture. Personally, I have never liked straight flat valances, and since I have to have some to visually heighten the windows on this side of the room, I think having "rolling" soft ones is an elegant compromise.
I hope this will help you. Sorry for the delay in responding to your question, but I had to finish staging two show homes. If you need more details, please don't hesitate.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:53AM
prisbent
Thanks so much for your response. You've inspired me. Your fabric is elegant as well. Would you mind telling me about the fabric?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:07AM
prisbent
One other thing that I am noticing, did you slip cover the chairs? I have a lazy boy leather reclining chair and matching loveseat. Since they recline, I was at a loss on how to slip cover? As you can tell, I'm loving the room as well.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:10AM
Michelle
The valances are made out of a "matelassé" coverlet in 100% cotton. I love this material, because it is thick, textured, comes in pure white and allows me to make curtains or valances, without any seams. No other fabric sold by the yard would give me, at least, a 90" wide piece of material to work with.. Attached is the picture of a bedroom that I just staged. showing a pair of curtains made out of a king-size coverlet, in matelassé.

Regarding my white leather recliners, they are brand new, but you could find easily slipcovers for recliners and love seats, on line, and they are not expensive.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 3:47PM
prisbent
Michelle, I would have never guessed that you used a matelasse coverlet. I happen to have this fabric on a daybed, so I am familiar with it. You were genius to use the coverlet for its size and looks to make these beautiful curtains and beautiful valance...love the looks of these.

Thanks again for your responses. Your style is inspirational to me & just up my alley:-)
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 5:15PM
Best Part of Living in the Western U.S.?
Do you or have you lived in the Western U.S.? What's...
need help to change my living room
i need a new look,maybe paint the walls, new curtains...
alphons3k
Need master bedroom furniture help!!
Hi there- we just upgraded to a king size mattress/...
brockwem
What's your favorite holiday dish?
Do you wait all year for the perfect latkes? Countdown...
Fireplace Decoration, missing details?
We place our stuff we bought from garage sales last...
A & M from Lindberg-Suites