need to update exterior
mtchpnt
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The exterior of the house has high small windows with a brick facade below and siding above. The driveway cuts across the front of the house -so there's lots of concrete. The only planting area is blow the windows, about 3'-4' wide. it's a 1970 ranch and very boxy. There is no budget to update windows, etc. Should I paint the entire house a single color to make the house look less sstubby/short?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Gosh, your design dilemma reminds me of the question about a jet plane travelling six hours at 800 MPH with wind speeds of 200 MPH, leaving Heathrow heading due East, so what colour is the countertop in the galley? LOL

I must be in a silly mood this morning :)

Anyway, best to post a picture. This question obviously makes my brain spin out of control trying to visualize it all. Thank you. And welcome to houzz!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:58AM
mtchpnt
Alan, couldn't find it earlier, but here it is.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:10AM
AMN
I think your idea of painting all one color is a good one. Pick a body color. Trim should either be the same or *slightly* lighter. Front door gets a pop of color, and garage door should be either painted the body color or something a bit darker than the body.

Is your roof a medium gray tone? Hard to see in pic.

Do you mean your planting area is 3-4' deep, between the concrete and the house?
New plantings on some mounded beds that curve around the right end/corner of the house will help soften.

On the porch, add a large urn in the same/similar color you choose for the door and add plantings to it.

If your roof is gray, I think it would be good to stick with grays for the house paint.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:30AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Thank you. I think you are right that the brick needs to be painted. Could you take another photo of your house when the sun is shining on the front? It's too hard to see enough to suggest a paint colour.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:31AM
mtchpnt
This is the only photo I've got, the house is in another state. Try zooming in on it. The sun comes around from the back to the front--making the front very hot looking in the afternoon. I'm also planning a multi-trunk tree, dry bed, and a large rock or two in the grassy area in front, nothing elaborate just something to add some dimension from the street.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:40AM