Small bathroom help!
loriyreed
What colors are good for a small bathroom? What can I do to make it feel not so claustrophobic?
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Maybe a wall mural? COLORFUL Geoffrey Bradfield Inc.
Now you can do unlimited images on murals for any space. Since you will be nose to nose with this one, it needs to have a design that works well close up, with lots of detail. Something that's large-scale in focus will be probably too large. Here are a couple of completely different approaches.

You can also benefit from mirrors.
January 19, 2013 at 9:12am     
loriyreed
Thanks! The main part of the bathroom is beachy colors with some beach decor so the beach mural would be perfect!!
January 19, 2013 at 10:56am     
World Contracting LLC
January 19, 2013 at 11:02am     
lsyp
Have you considered emerald green? Jewel box room-- very fresh with white cotton textured (think matellase) shower curtain. Also maybe a white narrow cabinet instead if wire storage rack- pretty and functional.
January 19, 2013 at 11:15am     
tancha_yet
You can take any cold tone,and you can make the floor and the back wall of the same colour,so there will be more space
January 19, 2013 at 12:24pm   
apple_pie_order
I'd put in a clear shower curtain. What does the rest of the bathroom look like? Is there a window? An exhaust fan? Large mirror?

I agree with isyp that a narrow white cabinet over the toilet would be better than the wire rack. Then you could store the things that are on the toilet tank in the cabinet.
January 19, 2013 at 1:03pm   
Holly Mayeux
I'm not sure what your budget is but we have a bath even smaller and instead of trying to make it feel bigger we made it feel rich.
The walls were faux painted but maybe you could use wallpaper? Also, you could do more of a fabric drapery for the shower and tie the colors in with the walls.
Otherwise I agree with the others...more of a white pottery barn feel with a white cabinet and a cool mirror and lighting...
January 19, 2013 at 1:24pm     
loriyreed
The bathroom is split, the vanity is separate from the toilet and bath tub, which is weird to me but whatever lol see pictures below. The first picture is looking into the whole bathroom, the door that you see is a linen closet and to the right are huge walk in closets (his and hers) the bathroom door is on the left behind the wall the vanity is on. Weird huh?
January 19, 2013 at 2:44pm   
I am not being fresh here, just practical. Shower right next to the john…as far as cleanliness goes, not a bad idea. Don't need the shower? Go out and wash your hands. I think the arrangement is different, but with some upgraded fixtures, you could make this a great, albeit weird, space.

January 19, 2013 at 2:58pm     
houssaon
I don't think that this will ever be a great space without moving the fixtures around. The problem is not so much that the toilet is next to the shower, but actually half-way in front of it. I wonder what it would take to move the vanity to the adjacent wall and take down the wall next to toilet. It is nice to have a water closet, but not one with a shower in it and in such a tight space. Once the wall is down, move the toilet over at least a foot.
January 19, 2013 at 3:12pm     
Interiors International, Inc.
Small baths can be really great. I like to do them like jewel boxes. Metallic wall paper dark rich color and lots of mirror.
January 19, 2013 at 3:26pm     
Barbara Griffith Designs
The layout is like many hotels I would mirror tile the back and side wall of the toilet/shower room to within a foot from the ceiling. In the blank space and all other walls or strips I would choose a classy, small geometric pattern wallpaper, maybe with some reflective areas (foils). I would run that paper into all the walls of the rest of the bath. Update to a new light fixture and frame out the mirror.
January 19, 2013 at 3:36pm   
Lkristine
If you aren't looking to do any major rearranging, but simply, kind of widen that shower/commode area visually-----If it were mine, i would add tile to the commode wall. Tile that has is not squared but has more horizontal rectangles to give the illusion of more width. If you can, lower the towel rack down some to allow for a bold piece of wall art, that again, has horizontal movement. Then I would paint the walls a spa green/blue color. Nothing dark, that would just feel more enclosed. I am providing a link to a tile example as well as an art example. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/SomerTile-11.625x11.75-in-Reflections-Piano-Ming-Glass-and-Stone-Mos And here is the link for an art example, http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Dianne-Poinski-Lily-II-Framed-Art-Print/6323159/product.html
January 19, 2013 at 3:37pm     
loriyreed
Houssaon- I agree 100% we are discussing rearranging the whole thing!
In the mean time, I am loving all of these suggestions! I was feeling like there was no hope for my tiny water closet. I love the foil wall paper idea as well as the shelves over the toilet, instead of the thing that is hanging on the wall now. I call it the thing because I do not like it and it will be replaced ASAP!
I am digging the tile, I love tile in a bathroom do that is an option too.
I will post after photos soon :)
January 19, 2013 at 6:33pm   
sealedesign
When you add a border around the walls about 36" off the floor, it draws your eyes to the line and edges of the room, so I suggest moulding of a different color at that level. It could also be tile.
January 19, 2013 at 6:46pm     
sealedesign
This layout with a separate toilet room is common in Japan.
January 19, 2013 at 6:48pm   
sjkingston
Oh my, that's an awkward layout, isn't it!. Until you can do a full remodel, take the "quick refresh" route. Find a paint color in a lighter or deeper shade of the floor tile (it's the largest expanse of color) with the same undertone (i.e., grey, pink, green, yellow). Once you know the undertone, you also can try that as a color to see if it complements. But you might be better off going for a spa look by picking a single shade close to the tile for the entire bathroom. Use a crisp ivory (again same undertone) for the vanity (try Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations for professional finish without much work) and replace the faucets and light fixtures with classic looking ones. Frame the mirror with molding (or that MirrorMate product if you're not a DIYer). Look for a wood framed medicine cabinet that slips in the existing spot to update the dated one. I found one for $35 at Home Depot and painted it in my cabinet paint. If you bargain shop,you can do this for under $500 in materials. The other option is to reverse the wall and vanity paint, i.e., paint the vanity in a version of floor color and the walls in a warm ivory with same undertone. Add a white waffle shower curtain and towels in the vanity color. Place art above the toilet and in the main room that delights and soothes you while you save up for the remodel.
January 19, 2013 at 7:09pm     
mveasey
I saw this on pinterest the other day. Not sure if the wood is a great idea next to the steamy shower, but you get the idea, the wall behind needs some attention/beautification.good luck!
January 19, 2013 at 10:27pm   
mveasey
If you do something with a horizontal pattern, it fools the eye, thinking your space is wider.
January 19, 2013 at 10:28pm   
loriyreed
Mveasy- I like your idea! I bet I could do that with tile that way the wood doesn't get icky from being in a hot steamy place!
January 20, 2013 at 1:55pm   
What eould you do in that room?
Room is 16 x 15 Walls on the sides are 48 inches high Total...
Living Room Dilemma
Looking for advice for my living room. I was thinking...
Ugly Mansard Victorian w/ Asbestos Siding: How to De-Uglify??
My family just bought an old house with a very ugly...
Kitchen layout Dilemma.
This has got me baffled. I don't know what is the best...