Need help with Exterior design!!!!
suepav1
Looking to update: siding, windows, and doors on 30 yr. old ranch style house. I am interested in incorporating brick veneer and vinyl siding shakes...thoughts/ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!
Stone & Land, LLC
The picture is a little far back. Is that a stone veneer on the front now? One of the things I think might be cool is if you accentuate the length and unify your house since it sounds like your redoing the whole facade. Make the windows the same height if possible and do the brick or stone up to bottom of the window sill capped with a stone water table. I think what’s a little off about the house now is the stone didn't extend up around the little window and the paint doesn't compliment or contrast it well. If you had extra stone to mix and match, then maybe just add to it. I would love to do a photoshop edit but I've done quite a few others on the site this week and got to get back to billable work. Good Luck
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 11:35AM
suepav1
That is brick on the front now. The length of the house has a brick ledge so we were thinking about putting mostly brick on---whole new color---with lighter siding and some accent material, but we're having problems trying to figure a design plan. Would like to put a new wood or woodlook front door with sidelights. Trying hard to make it look updated and awesome. Thanks for your input. You're right---the windows are a problem. I appreciate your thoughts.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 9:02PM
Stone & Land, LLC
Well suepav1 , you have a sweet crib and track, it'll be sick when it’s done. Even if you can't enlarge the small window and just make the other 2 (bedroom?) windows the same height of the 4 bay opening, it'll really help. You'll then have a common horizontal line to work with for the brick or a different type of siding like a cement fiberbord. I kind of like the verticle orientation on the upper part of the house. Maybe the verticle divided windows do fit better if you want to keep that look.

I hope you have some nice countryside to gaze out at from that 4 bay. Your house definitely looks like a candidate for a nice front patio and new front entry sequence. Maybe you'll want to think about making sidewalk improvements accessible. Even if its for a temporary disability like knee surgery, it's nice to be able to roll into your house without having to contend with steps. Now would be a good time to do it so the interface with the building and front door can be seamless and still pitch the water away from the house.

Maybe an updated window with a retro picture window with a horizontal element, that again emphasizes the length of the house, would be cool. I don't know about windows but I'm sure you'll find someone who does on this site. As for paint color, I think it'll depend on your brick. I don't even mind the color way it is, but it just doesn't read well with the existing brick. It looks like you have an out building that is the same paint color. I'd hate for you to turn it into a bigger project than it needs to be. Good Luck. If you have any more questions, please ask. I hope more people can contribute to your design process that are a little more knowledgeable than me.
2 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:50PM
jjandhk
great ideas from Stone & Land!
do any of these photos spark some ideas?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:15AM
Kim Dillon
yes I agree the windows seem to be small..Nice home though.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:34AM
bcowake
Perhaps some new garage doors.....they represent approximately 1/3 of the urb appeal on this house. I have seen some beautiful doors that bring an Arts&Crafts feel, carriage house, etc.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:40AM
suepav1
I would like to make the small window larger, but that is the window above the kitchen sink......but we are also going to remodel the kitchen, replacing the cabinets, etc. Can't figure what else to do with that window.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 8:51AM
suepav1
jjdesingkloos, I like the idea of pillars on the front entrance with brick around the the area. Thanks for posting photos. It helps.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:58AM
suepav1
I love the idea of different garage doors. I'll definitely check into that. Thanks for you input.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:01AM
Chameleon Power
Upload a photo of your home to visualize with new windows at http://royal.chameleonpower.com
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:07PM
hesloprn
Need Help in designing an exterior & interior design
I created this floor plan for my parents ancestral...
ohdomsky
Help! Design challenged in need of help with exterior front remodel
We have lived in our home for a few years. It has...
Stefanie Bratton
Need help with landscape design & exterior makeover!
We recently bought this 1930's brick home and have...
young_joanna
Need help with designing home exterior!
My father and I recently got together and purchased...
Natalie Skoien
Should I paint my baseboards white?
I feel bad about painting over the original wood, but...
buthole888
Help! Need more seating
Hello! Need more seating in our livingroom .. Stuck...
connie00
Ugly Kitchen Cabinets, HELP!
Okay, this is my problem. I have white laminate cabinets....
vvemmj74
Need help with my kitchen
I will have Cherry Shaker cabinets, African Ivory granite,...
pattyginger
Medicine cabinet shelf supports
I happened to get a Pottery Barn "Vintage" recessed...
Laura Sheppardson