Updating dining room, please help
jhundman
Please help with this dining room unfortunately the table and hutch have to stay. Not sure if I should keep the rug, light, mirror and drapes. I want to repaint the walls and trim not sure what color. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
jhundman
more pictures
January 19, 2013 at 3:32pm   
jhundman
one more
January 19, 2013 at 3:35pm   
Interiors International, Inc.
They way it is done actually fits the style of the furniture you want to keep. Why change it?
January 19, 2013 at 3:39pm     
jhundman
Well I'm tired of it. I did this room 10 years ago and my taste has changed, I wish I could get rid of the set but only using this room a few times a year I can't justify it. Your remark made me laugh my friends have said the same thing to me.
January 19, 2013 at 3:46pm     
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would choose a tone on tone, yellow tone beige, large scale damask, wallpaper above and below the chair rail. The ceiling looks to be a metallic ? gold ? maybe. If yes, I would keep it. I would then turn the mirror in the first picture vertical and center with the light fixture. I would then add 2 black framed pictures on each side of the mirror. A tall green tree in great large pot in the small corner next to the window, also a single large bowl with greens only on the table. Is the china cabinet in the corner a corner piece or would it fit on short wall such as at the end of the table? The rug and everything else should be fine.
January 19, 2013 at 3:48pm   
jhundman
Yes the hutch is a corner cabinet and the ceiling is a light gold luster stone finish. Thank you for the suggestions. I do think I would like the room lighter.
January 19, 2013 at 3:58pm   
Interiors International, Inc.
I love your answer. Honey if I were you I would sell that set and find a new/used one just for the change. Life is too short. I couldn't live with a room for that long without changing it at least a little every year. I love your moxie!
January 19, 2013 at 4:33pm     
anitajoyce
Yes, you can leave the furniture and still have a nice updated room. By all means change it if you don't like it! I would. Start with painting the room. This will bring a smile to your face. Paint the room in a nice beige color, Or white on the bottom and tan or sage green above the rail. Paint the ceiling white also to lighten and brighten up the room. Your furniture is very nice. Remove the rug and replace it with a more modern one with tans, brown and maybe some green ,or rust or another accent color in it .Remove the mirror and replace it with a big abstract picture or a big flower picture. Remove the art pieces from the table and add a nice table runner. Place a vase of flowers on top along with 2-3 candles or place the candles and a small plant on top of the table. Replace the panels with a color like sage green, tan or rust. Good luck! Please keep us updated with pictures.
January 19, 2013 at 5:06pm   
jhundman
your putting bad thoughts in my head, hmm
January 19, 2013 at 5:08pm   
jhundman
anitajoyce thanks for all your suggestions. I think thats a great idea replacing the rug, I'll start with that and I'll pull colors from the rug for a wall color. I'm going to also get rid of the mirror I love abstract pictures.
January 19, 2013 at 5:19pm     
anitajoyce
You are most welcome. Glad to be of help. I hope the bad thoughts are all good thoughts. Can't wait to see pictures!
January 19, 2013 at 5:23pm     
gdodd22
Beige is so overused in my opinion. We recently sold a very dated home that we bought to flip, I used Sherwin Williams paint in Contented for the dining room and painted all the trim a bright white. We were concerned the color (a muted blue-green similar to robin's egg blue), but it turned out to be such a perfect color that we used it in the bedrooms too--amazingly it went well with everything. Mine may not fit your style at all, but you have such a great room to work with, you could paint the wainscot and chair rail a bright white and a gray or muted blue for the top. I'd paint the mirror frame (if it's not an heirloom) and the ceiling as well.
And I would sell the table and hutch if it's not your style. But it is pretty!
January 19, 2013 at 6:04pm   
pattysopinion
I love a Venetian Blue ceilings, it lifts the eye up & its softens the room day or night what ever the light, it is a gloaming dove blue great effect. The walls could be a paper mache foux leather-ed, a compliment to your saddle leather seats. Chairs & corner cabinet painted black is classy & clean, the mirrors & ceiling medallion silver leafed or sprayed pending on your budget & hard ware silver on cabinet if any. Lastly your center chandelier could be a classy crystal something that you love. High gloss black paint chair rail & crown molding. P.S. what to do with the table? on budget a white table cloth is grand to complement the chairs & the set table. Or if you like a glass table to create open bigger space something abstract or unusual to support [base] depending on your demographics I prefer a great conversation piece like a cypress stump is amazing.
January 19, 2013 at 6:17pm     
Need help updating L-shaped living room and dining room
I have an L-shaped living room and dining room. They...
Need help with updating drab dining room
Have two walls. One with french doors, the rest open...
Help with my dining room table selection and ways to update chairs
I'm in the market now to buy a pedestal for my dining...
New set up for living room
Need some help on what sofa set up to get with this...
Drape dilemma... Too short!
So I didn't do my research on what the appropriate...
What is best (white) paint for kitchen cabinets
I live in CA, and I think Dura Poxy from Kelly Moore...
Updating a transitional to MCM living room
I would love suggestions on how to update my living...
need help for colour stain for my house
There is old clapboard on the house, i'm pulling that...