updating dining room, please help
jhundman
Please help with this dining room unfortunately the table and hutch have to stay. Not sure if I should keep the rug, light, mirror and drapes. I want to repaint the walls and trim not sure what color. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
jhundman
more pictures
    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:32PM
jhundman
one more
    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:35PM
Interiors International, Inc.
They way it is done actually fits the style of the furniture you want to keep. Why change it?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:39PM
jhundman
Well I'm tired of it. I did this room 10 years ago and my taste has changed, I wish I could get rid of the set but only using this room a few times a year I can't justify it. Your remark made me laugh my friends have said the same thing to me.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:46PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would choose a tone on tone, yellow tone beige, large scale damask, wallpaper above and below the chair rail. The ceiling looks to be a metallic ? gold ? maybe. If yes, I would keep it. I would then turn the mirror in the first picture vertical and center with the light fixture. I would then add 2 black framed pictures on each side of the mirror. A tall green tree in great large pot in the small corner next to the window, also a single large bowl with greens only on the table. Is the china cabinet in the corner a corner piece or would it fit on short wall such as at the end of the table? The rug and everything else should be fine.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:48PM
jhundman
Yes the hutch is a corner cabinet and the ceiling is a light gold luster stone finish. Thank you for the suggestions. I do think I would like the room lighter.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:58PM
Interiors International, Inc.
I love your answer. Honey if I were you I would sell that set and find a new/used one just for the change. Life is too short. I couldn't live with a room for that long without changing it at least a little every year. I love your moxie!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 4:33PM
anitajoyce
Yes, you can leave the furniture and still have a nice updated room. By all means change it if you don't like it! I would. Start with painting the room. This will bring a smile to your face. Paint the room in a nice beige color, Or white on the bottom and tan or sage green above the rail. Paint the ceiling white also to lighten and brighten up the room. Your furniture is very nice. Remove the rug and replace it with a more modern one with tans, brown and maybe some green ,or rust or another accent color in it .Remove the mirror and replace it with a big abstract picture or a big flower picture. Remove the art pieces from the table and add a nice table runner. Place a vase of flowers on top along with 2-3 candles or place the candles and a small plant on top of the table. Replace the panels with a color like sage green, tan or rust. Good luck! Please keep us updated with pictures.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 5:06PM
jhundman
your putting bad thoughts in my head, hmm
    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 5:08PM
jhundman
anitajoyce thanks for all your suggestions. I think thats a great idea replacing the rug, I'll start with that and I'll pull colors from the rug for a wall color. I'm going to also get rid of the mirror I love abstract pictures.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 5:19PM
anitajoyce
You are most welcome. Glad to be of help. I hope the bad thoughts are all good thoughts. Can't wait to see pictures!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 5:23PM
gdodd22
Beige is so overused in my opinion. We recently sold a very dated home that we bought to flip, I used Sherwin Williams paint in Contented for the dining room and painted all the trim a bright white. We were concerned the color (a muted blue-green similar to robin's egg blue), but it turned out to be such a perfect color that we used it in the bedrooms too--amazingly it went well with everything. Mine may not fit your style at all, but you have such a great room to work with, you could paint the wainscot and chair rail a bright white and a gray or muted blue for the top. I'd paint the mirror frame (if it's not an heirloom) and the ceiling as well.
And I would sell the table and hutch if it's not your style. But it is pretty!
    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 6:04PM
pattysopinion
I love a Venetian Blue ceilings, it lifts the eye up & its softens the room day or night what ever the light, it is a gloaming dove blue great effect. The walls could be a paper mache foux leather-ed, a compliment to your saddle leather seats. Chairs & corner cabinet painted black is classy & clean, the mirrors & ceiling medallion silver leafed or sprayed pending on your budget & hard ware silver on cabinet if any. Lastly your center chandelier could be a classy crystal something that you love. High gloss black paint chair rail & crown molding. P.S. what to do with the table? on budget a white table cloth is grand to complement the chairs & the set table. Or if you like a glass table to create open bigger space something abstract or unusual to support [base] depending on your demographics I prefer a great conversation piece like a cypress stump is amazing.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 6:17PM
Need help decorating living/dining room...please!
We recently acquired this house with its furnishings...
picklerocket
Please, I need help painting this dungeon of a dining room. :)
I desperately want to paint these dark solid wood walls...
missmarby
Need help updating L-shaped living room and dining room
I have an L-shaped living room and dining room. They...
mar_z
How do I update this traditional Dining Room?
I absolutely love this spice red/mustard yellow toile!...
Andrea Campbell
Help with my dining room table selection and ways to update chairs
I'm in the market now to buy a pedestal for my dining...
robinhood
basement fireplace
I have a fireplace with built ins (painted dark) on...
khickman4620
need help for placing furniture
i need help picking ou furniture
heatherlisa
Help with Exterior Paint Color
I would appreciate help choosing an exterior paint...
Kay
Help! Master Bathroom
The house we purchased has a very large master bathroom....
ckoeppel
Help for kitchen planning
Hello! After getting a bid on a full kitchen remodel...
bearellis