olld 1/20
olldroo
January 20, 2013 in Other
Good morning ladies, thought I had better open today's - goodness knows what month Bobbi will be in today.
olldroo
Found this news item and thought it summed up the OTHER sex perfectly.

A father has devised an ingenious way to arrange his daughter's hair in a ponytail in less than seven seconds with the help of a vacuum cleaner.

A video posted online by a Dutch YouTube user yesterday shows the father use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the girl's hair before he slips on a hair-tie, which was strategically placed near the end of the nozzle, to hold it all in place.

The video has been widely praised online with one YouTube user calling the dad "Father of the year!".

However, one Reddit user has pointed out that the seemingly fool-proof system may not work for everyone.

"In theory this is a good idea for dads, but speaking as one with a daughter I don't think it would work well in practice," Billy Brooks wrote.

"I wouldn't have a clue where to look for the vacuum cleaner."
January 20, 2013 at 4:41AM     
olldroo
Guys I have a confession to make - I need some serious training before we win the OLLD house. Went out to dinner tonight at the local Thai, which I am not an avid fan of but GDD took 2 bottles of wine. Two glasses - I swear - and I am anybody's. Methinks some serious sleeping will be done tonight.
January 20, 2013 at 4:45AM     
creeser
roo, depends on if the cookies got the better of her today! *L* You're not the only one that can't handle their liquor. One glass of wine and I'm ready for a nap. We may have to sip our way through the girls weekend at the OLLD house. Re our lake house, thank you! It's a really beautiful area. I grew up around there, but now we live about an hour away. I thought with the kids grown, they may use it more often, but I think they have less and less time now. Glad we have a contract on it and hope it all goes smoothly.
January 20, 2013 at 5:54AM     
creeser
roo, I think this poster is from Australia, judging by their 'aging boomers" comment. Perhaps you could offer them a bit more local insight on where and what. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/312278/Need-advice-for-toilet-purchase
January 20, 2013 at 6:07AM   
creeser
Of course, they may just mean 'baby boomers', but you've got me so spoiled on Aussie lingo, I went directly to that. *L*
January 20, 2013 at 6:09AM     
TanCalGal
@ creeser: beautiful lake home. Wallpaper is so nice, too. We sold a smaller-than-yours, 1 BR, weekender about 20 years ago...now that we're retired, we wish we still owned it. When younger, had very little time to visit our cottage & enjoy it.
January 20, 2013 at 6:41AM     
creeser
eztia, I think you're right. *L*
olldj22, we built that about 7 years ago and thought, since we don't travel much any more, that we'd use it a good bit. We never have. It was such a waste to have it just sitting there.
January 20, 2013 at 6:48AM   
lisalovesquilts
Hi girls, nice to see everyone in such good humour. No spoilers! Some of the foodstuffs described (vegemite, marmite, lutefisk) are for me eek! However I shouldn't discount what I haven't tried. I understand the Norwegians eat that fish whilst consuming large volumes of alcohol to fend off the smell and attendant nausea! Don't know if that's true or urban legend.
Busylady1 I'm on the west coast, no snow for us except on the hills but the northeast is snowed under I believe. Don't we get a raw deal with shopping - prices and choice?
Hi Bobbi, diminished height and responsibility is definitely most of my wee people but as they grow physically and mentally this description fades away. Can't stay daft forever! They are a lot of fun though.
Funny about accents. My eldest is at college and is often quizzed about his accent. He seems not to have a west of Scotland one! I get asked frequently if I'm Irish (no idea why) and my Irish neighbour is bemused as I am by this. My son has been asked if he's Irish, American, Italian, South African or Scandinavian! My little ones are strongly influenced by American tv, so gas station, store, hood (car) some of which they got from me but they would fit right in Stateside.
January 20, 2013 at 7:03AM     
mpoulsom
ok roo...look what i found yesterday at the humane society thrift store in Brevard, NC. I could not pass it by. It reminded me of so many conversations all of our ollds have had in previous discussions and education...
January 20, 2013 at 7:19AM     
mpoulsom
i think they are wooden coasters, but i will not use them for that.
January 20, 2013 at 7:25AM     
olldtrazz
Mp, those are too cute!
January 20, 2013 at 7:31AM     
Morning ladies! Thanks, roo, for saving me from making that mistake again! I just want it to be November so the holidays can be ahead of us again.

When we move to the OLLD house we can drink mocktails. Like virgin Marg's and Pina Coladas. Grape juice in place of the wine may not work, tho!

Lisa, about a million years ago I was working with this 19 year old kid from Scotland, had a heavy but pleasant accent. I asked him when he moved to the U.S. and he told me when he was in pre-school! He said he kept his accent because the girls all loved it. What a twit!!!

MP, those coasters are darling! What will you use them for?

judy - all the best of luck to you today, I hope your presentation goes super-well!
January 20, 2013 at 7:36AM     
lisalovesquilts
The toilet question had me thinking. Last week I bought a new toilet seat (hinges keep rusting). I read reviews etc but this one got me, ' user friendly'!
January 20, 2013 at 7:38AM   
TanCalGal
@MP how R U going to use Aussie wood "coasters"?
January 20, 2013 at 7:45AM   
Linda
I like the accents on little ones. My DD was 5 when we moved to London (1 1/2 years) and she had a perfect English accent. After returning home, we went back for a visit a year later. She had that accent back within 24 hours and it stayed until 24 hours after getting home. It was funny since most of her friends from school were American and none of them picked up the teacher's accent except for my DD.
January 20, 2013 at 7:46AM     
A user friendly toilet seat??? What would be the opposite of that, I'm afraid to ask.
January 20, 2013 at 7:58AM     
astraea
Bobbi - I’m sure that Gerry Butler has made the best of his Scots accent, with the women in America! Ewan McGregor doesn't have much of an accent at all, most of the time.
January 20, 2013 at 8:12AM     
lisalovesquilts
I love a nice southern drawl myself.
January 20, 2013 at 8:40AM     
Nancy Hehmann
Hi! Hope you don't mind if I jump on here? Olldbobbi asked me about date night? We went out last nigh. We live in What is known as upstate Sc. We went to downtown Greenville SC which has become unbelievably beautiful in the last few years with sidewalk caves and lovely parks. We ate at one of our fav restaurants Larkins on the river and saw Sister ACt at THe Peace Center. It was creaky good
January 20, 2013 at 9:10AM     
Nancy Hehmann
In my above post I did not say creaky good. I am typing on an IPad and sometimes things just seem to change when I hit submit. It was a really good show with great voices. Some of the performers were with the Broadway show.
January 20, 2013 at 9:32AM     
Nancy Hehmann
Creaky good does sound kind of neat tho. But their voices were not at all creaky! LOL
January 20, 2013 at 9:33AM     
olldtrazz
You are renting, correct? Do you want changes only decorative wise? What can you change per landlord? Sometimes they will approve certain updates because it increases their property value but they like to give the final say. Can you change hardware, etc?
January 20, 2013 at 10:40AM   
olldtrazz
What you could do is keep the old and replace back when you move, but right off the bat I say try changing the door knobs, pulls, light fixtures and hinges and see what you think. Especially lighting. I always love the fresh look of a room after lighting has been changed. There are a lot of great deals out there on lighting right now so you can do without breaking the bank. And if you have a maintenance guy, sometimes they will change out for you for like $25. Much cheaper then bringing in an electrician if you are not comfortable changing out yourself.
January 20, 2013 at 10:46AM     
Any chance you'd be allowed to paint the walls, Ez? We have an all white bathroom (with slightly different shades of bright to slightly off whites throughout). The whites all mix together fine, but I'd go crazy with plain white walls as well. We have to have color somewhere to make the whites pop in contrast. Lots of different colors have worked for us (currently our walls are navy blue, but they've been gray and silvery sage in the past). I'd love to see some color on your walls, either to pick up your gray tile floor or the tone of your cabinets.
January 20, 2013 at 10:47AM   
Alternately, of course, you could choose a fun accent color for towels, shower curtain, curtains/shades, and rug/bath mat, if you aren't allowed to change anything permanent.
January 20, 2013 at 10:50AM   
TanCalGal
@ ez I like the white towels & shower curtain & touches of gray. I always think metal finishes should match in a bathroom, but many talented designers think this is not important.
I'd hang art in gold frames to repeat the door and cabinet knobs and not let the differing metal finishes get to me.
January 20, 2013 at 11:11AM     
olldtrazz
Oh, 22 I love to mix finishes I just think there's something not jiving with Ez's. maybe change out the porcelain and just update lighting? In my past rentals I could paint as long as I primed before we moved out. Something to ask about.
January 20, 2013 at 11:18AM   
Nancy Hehmann
a Avanti makes some great decorator towels. I am sure you could find some that would give a wow factor. You can google them and find them. Bed,bath and beyond have them and amazon.com. I just saw some at Stein Mart too.
January 20, 2013 at 11:35AM   
If you were to replace hardware in the bathroom I might go for the chrome throughout. It will look better with the grays and whites of the tiles, I think. And if you can paint your walls, what about a soft gray in one of the tones of your floor tiles? The white towels and towel racks will then stand out nicely against the wall. Personally I prefer very plain spa-like shower curtains. A simple white waffle weave with a microfiber liner is classic and will go with everything.
January 20, 2013 at 11:37AM   
You can use the white towel bar, towel ring and toilet paper holder as those aren't clashing with the hardware finishes. Instead, they are matching the white tile, tub, etc. So really the only parts that would need replacing would be anything brass/gold around the room. Drawer and cabinet pulls could be either chrome (or brushed nickel, if you prefer) or you could use simple oak pulls on the oak cabinets to make them disappear more.
January 20, 2013 at 12:00PM   
Carolina! Thanks for remember to tell me, sounds like you had a creaky good time!

ez, paint on the hinges? OH no, I really despise that. I'm sorry! "White trash" bin, or White "trash bin"? hehehe If it's at all doable, I would make all hardware chrome. Even on the honey oak. Everything sounds very pretty, ez! And I love the color peach, I think you should go for it!!!
January 20, 2013 at 12:03PM     
michigammemom
Hi all! No I was not abducted by the Amish Mafia, but I did order my table from the sweetest little shop in the middle of an Indiana cornfield. :) It is a thing of beauty...distressed cherry, planked top, shaker style legs and a matching bench and four chairs. Speaking of accents, "Yoopers" aka residents of Upper Peninsula Michigan often get mistaken for Canadians and our approximation of "wicked good" would be "Holy Wah!" Looking forward to catching up olld friends!
January 20, 2013 at 12:36PM     
ez, I've used metallic spray paint! There's some prep work that needs to happen first but then it works pretty good. Very stinky, tho!

MM, Phew! I thought I would have to come rescue you!!! Do you have a pic of the table? It sounds Holy Wah!

Freakin' Niners, always a bridesmaid, never a bride :(
January 20, 2013 at 12:58PM     
michigammemom
I will have to wait 8 weeks for my table to be constructed and delivered but this is a close approximation.
January 20, 2013 at 1:07PM     
MM--we have a tiny 4 seater version of the same table (Amish, cherry, Shaker, but the size of a card table) that I originally bought for my mother's small apartment when she went into assisted living. The natural cherry finish and simple shaker legs are so beautiful.
January 20, 2013 at 1:13PM   
michigammemom
Feeny the table has beautiful joinery and pegged details. I brought a kitchen cabinet front with me so that I could select a stain color that would be a close match. The table measures 42x66 but we purchased a leaf as well.
January 20, 2013 at 1:18PM     
MM--It sounds absolutely beautiful, and perfect for your kitchen/dining space!
January 20, 2013 at 1:21PM   
michigammemom
eztia, I like the different shades of blue in this shower curtain from West Elm. It would definitely make a statement with white walls and gray tile.
January 20, 2013 at 1:32PM     
MM, I'm so jealous! That is gorgeous! Worth the wait, I think.

ez, that is a pretty shower curtain! When you go to the store to hunt for your hinges you might want to bring one of the old ones with you. I had no idea how many different hinge styles there were til I went looking :)

Feeny, how can we know without pictures? hehehe
January 20, 2013 at 1:41PM   
creeser
You ladies have been busy today! I've been playing with Boo1 all afternoon. Carolina, good to see yet another South Carolinian on OLLD. We're going to outnumber the Scottish soon! Scots?
MM, love that shower curtain. I've got a pale blue (SW Copen Blue) bathroom with cream tile. I wanted all white, but hubby said he hated white bathrooms. The one they had as kids growing up was white. There were 9 of them and one bathroom. I'm sure they had to take turns scrubbing it. *L* Anyway... going to post a photo of the wall behind the tub tomorrow and get opinions on what to put there. I was thinking of using that as my starburst mirror collage wall, but I'm rethinking. Maybe a piece of artwork? I just want to keep my tranquil blue tones...
January 20, 2013 at 2:18PM     
creeser
eztia, have you thought about black, wrought iron?
January 20, 2013 at 2:20PM   
creeser
MM, love that table!
January 20, 2013 at 2:21PM   
creeser
Here's a question from 2 weeks ago about a leaking shower stall, that no one answered. I have nothing. How about you ladies? http://www.houzz.com/discussions/292350/Leaking-shower-stall
January 20, 2013 at 2:44PM   
creeser
Got another from a couple of weeks ago with no answer. Again, I have nothing. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/288995/Help-with-how-this-look-was-accomplished
January 20, 2013 at 2:48PM   
Ez, In your situation I'd consider simple wooden knobs, either the round or the square ones, stained to the honey oak of your cabinets. That way they'll disappear (and they are pretty cheap): http://www.coolknobsandpulls.com/cabinethardware.cfm/category/61/machine-carved-knobs-pulls-61

We've used wooden knobs like these as replacements on antique American dressers and chests that have lost their wooden pulls, and they can look great.
January 20, 2013 at 2:57PM   
creeser, I'm sorry, I don't know anything about shower stalls or exteriors. In fact, I avoid exterior dilemmas altogether never having had any experience in that arena.

feeny, great suggestion!

OMG! THE NINERS WON! THEY PULLED THAT ONE RIGHT OUT OF THEIR.....HELMETS!!! HOLY MOLEY!!! We're going to the SuperBowl!
January 20, 2013 at 3:03PM     
Linda
I have refurbished several light fixtures with metallic paints. My favorite comes from a two-part kit called American Accents dark patina. It is a darker metallic brown without the reddish tones of oil rubbed bronze but definitely darker than an antique brass. I don't know if that paint is available separately; I bought the kits at my local ReStore. I used it once on an 80s hunter green crackle finish chandelier and the result was really nice looking with the crackle texture coming through, but not the color

Another options is the hammered copper paint - I used it to paint my gas meter a couple years ago and it is still holding up to the weather. Both of those spray paints are really easy to use. Some metallics are very difficult to get even, but these are very forgiving. I've also used the ACE brand of Anodized Bronze spray paint and had good luck with it but the color is darker and less interesting to my eye.

Spraying light fixtures has its advantages -
one, no one will see the fixture once the light is turned on,
two, you usually aren't close enough to see the finish, and
three, there's no wear and tear on light fixtures so the finish won't get scratched or peel
January 20, 2013 at 3:08PM     
We went to the church of the Homey Depot today, and I noticed that Rusoleum has added to their refurbishing line. Now they have refurbishing kits for counters, cabinets, tile and hardwood floors!
January 20, 2013 at 3:11PM     
lisalovesquilts
Hi Creeser. I thought the South was populated by people of Scottish/Scots and or Irish ancestry! Are there lots of Mcs and Macs in the phone book? You know what else I love about the South? Spanish moss, it just looks so whimsical or ethereal to me.
January 20, 2013 at 3:20PM     
lisalovesquilts
Bobbi will you be able to contain yourself until the big game? I don't usually get excited at sports except for the Winter Olympics and soccer world cup. The kids really enjoy my whooping and hollering at the tv. It's so out of character for my mild mannered self.
January 20, 2013 at 3:32PM     
janishill
MM gorgeous shower curtain and great table!

I'm from Alabama, so needless to say I have a draaawl.

Ez, the silver and gray have cool undertones while the gold and oak have warm undertones. That is what feels uncomfortable, I think. If you were to add yellow accents I believe it would be more comfortable for you.
January 20, 2013 at 4:01PM     
ez, you should rest! I find the more I agonize over a decision the harder it gets. Rest!
January 20, 2013 at 4:23PM     
Someone was asking about cilantro. It is the leaves of a coriander plant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander
January 20, 2013 at 4:28PM   
olldroo
mp love the coasters. I have seen them here quite a bit. How could anyone not think a possum was cute when you see that. Were there only 4? Usually they come in boxes of 6 and a kangaroo is definitely missing and maybe either a kookaburra or an echidna. I will have to keep my eyes open, of course once I start to look they just won't be around. They are the sort of thing you can never find when you want.
January 20, 2013 at 4:48PM     
Have not had one minute today to join in…but Go, Pats. I have to sit with C P and D D for the game.

Fifty Shades...
You appeared from no where and shamelessly, without any reservations, you laid on my naked body...you sensed my indifference, so you applied your hungry mouth to me without any guilt or humiliation, and you drove me near crazy while you drained me.

Finally, I drifted off to sleep.
Today when I awoke, you were gone, I searched for you but to no avail, only the sheets bore witness to last night's events.
My body still bears faint marks of your enthusiastic ravishing, making it all the more difficult to forget you.

Tonight, I will remain awake, waiting for you........
........
.....

F###ing mosquito!
January 20, 2013 at 5:32PM     
olldroo
Thanks bobbi - I was being lazy not looking it up myself. I guess fresh coriander could do the trick too. Glad to hear about your team - your deserve something good in your life.

Just spoke to LADD - Miss 6 seems all healed. Came out of school Friday, pulled the bandage off and has been running ever since. Has just spent the afternoon riding her bike and scooter and can't wait to get back to gymnastics tomorrow. Glad I can cringe from a distance.
January 20, 2013 at 5:39PM     
olldroo
judy - is that where that came from, I got that as a joke the other day, hilarious, but it didn't reference 50 Shades. Gunna have to get that book ................... except then I need time to read it.
January 20, 2013 at 6:21PM   
olldroo
So when in Sydney and when you are young and fit - this is what you do
January 20, 2013 at 6:27PM     
mpoulsom
wel well well...BOTH of my teams won today! what what!!?? judyg what happened to your pretty boy??? hahaha! go ravens and 49ers!
well, i have been working my arse off ALL DAY! running in and out every now and then to see certain plays and scream!
i kind of did a compromise on the midget bedroom! blue on top and white on bottom. I used a nailgun today.....and did not shoot my eye out! YAY!
January 20, 2013 at 7:01PM     
olldroo
Judy, how did your presentation go??
January 20, 2013 at 7:19PM   
mpoulsom
this is what happened at my house today!
January 20, 2013 at 7:25PM     
olldroo
I love wainscotting, it isn't done here, but it would be such a bonus only having to paint half a wall at a time and so practical with littlies around too. I think you can cross today off as an achievement. Can't wait to see tomorrow's effort.
January 20, 2013 at 7:29PM     
olldroo
ez - you did a lot of hard work thinking - that is just as productive.
January 20, 2013 at 7:30PM   
olldtrazz
Love board and batten, big fan of any form of wood work. You will become addicted to your nail gun now! :) Took the towel bar down in my sons room and did board and batten with hooks for towels on each board. Haven't regretted it yet. You'll love the ease of it!
January 20, 2013 at 7:35PM     
olldtrazz
Does anyone have a sisal rug?
January 20, 2013 at 7:36PM     
mpoulsom
I still have to paint the b'ottom...only painted molding trim and top of wall . Ez, carpet is kind of taupe and ceiling is white with white molding....it's amazin the difference! It's fake, but looks like solid wood on the bottom. :)
January 20, 2013 at 7:36PM     
olldtrazz
MP, be sure to use a latex paint on the bottom cause you will love the ease of it! Absolutely no finger prints. Cleans with a wipe of a wet rag.
January 20, 2013 at 7:39PM     
olldroo
No trazz, I don't, don't even know of anyone with one. Although they look great down, I have never liked how hard and scratchy they are.
January 20, 2013 at 7:40PM   
mpoulsom
tried to upload another shot......
January 20, 2013 at 7:42PM     
mpoulsom
trazz thanks! I used to paint houses professionally! HA! Just don't do it for a living now. I'm pretty handy.

Roo, what did you think of the coaster thingys? did you see them? I loved them. I think I'm going to make a mobile out of them. They were $4 at the thrift store! All the animals we talk about all the time from down under!
January 20, 2013 at 7:45PM     
olldtrazz
Thanks Roo, that's what I'm trying to find out. I'm just wondering how bad they are under foot...if they are as bad as I think or not so bad with wear and tear. I'm contemplating one in my front room but with a cowhide over a section of it.
January 20, 2013 at 7:45PM   
olldroo
What I like about all the white is that it takes the 'granny' out of the blue. I just know you are going to blow us away with this.
January 20, 2013 at 7:47PM     
mpoulsom
just read an earlier comment. sorry, my bad. there are six coasters...kangeroo, possum, koala, emu, platypus, wombat!
January 20, 2013 at 7:49PM     
mpoulsom
boy, i cannot see or spell/type tonight!
THANKS roo!!!!!!
January 20, 2013 at 7:52PM     
olldroo
Arggghhhh - Houzz is all over the place at the moment, comments are coming through from hours ago as well as new ones. I put a comment on earlier mp that doesn't seem to be here now but a mobile was the first thing I thought of . I picked the roo but forgot the wombat, of course.

Sounds like you are ready for bed. My eyes went funny after a day of painting the other day they seemed to have a film over them, like I had been Gladwrapped. Next day they were fine thank goodness.
January 20, 2013 at 8:02PM     
olldroo
Trazz - do you have an Ikea near you? I think they stock them. Do a sneaky and slip your boots off and walk over one - or better still get the little bloke to try sitting on it. They can make you itchy too.

There was a beach house featured in an ideasbook one time -

and the kid's bedroom had one and Laura Fine Arts made the comment

Cheerful and fresh, but how about some wall colors? Have you every tried walking barefoot or sitting on sisal. Ouch. Better they left it out.

It was a gorgeous bedroom otherwise.
January 20, 2013 at 8:09PM   
mpoulsom
don't know if this will download here, but you have to see it. boo mappin watching the pats tonight!
January 20, 2013 at 8:17PM   
olldroo
Didn't work mp.

I forgot to mention the photos I posted were German DD with eldest gd and middle gs climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Luckily they did it Thursday before the 46 deg on Friday.
January 20, 2013 at 8:23PM   
mpoulsom
i can't download it! dang it!!! wanted judyg to see it too. lil pat fan! :) roo go to my fb page. hilarious!
January 20, 2013 at 8:34PM   
olldroo
Nothing there either. Go to bed and start afresh tomorrow.
January 20, 2013 at 8:45PM   
roo, I'm so happy for Miss 6! That's the thing about kids, we worry like mad and they heal so quickly. She'll be the best in her gymnastics class, you'll see. I will have to pass on that walking bridge, or you go first, ok?

judy! A mosquito! Too funny. How did you presentation go? Did they LOVE the wallpaper?

MP, great job on the midget's walls! Who cut all the wood? It does look really good, has boo mappin seen it yet? I'll bet she loves it.

Olldtrazz, sorry, I know nothing about sisal rugs. But I know about flokati rugs and I want one! I can't imagine how one would vacuum a flokati and I do know the dog would eat it so I don't think they're practical.
January 21, 2013 at 3:04AM   
michigammemom
Mp great job on the faux wainscoting. Did you need to snap chalk lines to get all of the wood strips straight?
January 21, 2013 at 3:18AM     
MM, that's a great question, I'd like to know, too. MP? Chalk lines? Or just a level?
January 21, 2013 at 3:25AM   
I'll open 1/21 now, and try to get the date right!
January 21, 2013 at 3:33AM   
creeser
Hey janis and welcome! Love that 'bama drawl!
lisa, I've got some Scottish blood in me from Dad's side. The surname was changed up after immigrating to what it is now, but I think the town they came from was Kilmarnock?
MP love what you did with the wainscoting!
January 21, 2013 at 4:20AM     
olldroo
OMG - guys just got a notice about this thread
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/251023

We were off our head that day!!! No wonder the poor bloke slipped quietly away.
January 21, 2013 at 4:25AM   
I remember that one! That rug is navy on my screen! But I'll never live it down, I'm sure :((
January 21, 2013 at 4:27AM     
Still need help groveraxle,abbyjean,karemore55,and anyone else
For the sofa table, I think I'm wanting to replace...
entry way help
hello all, so we are purchasing a new home and this...
Paint first or decorate first?
My dilemma is, do I paint now when my painter can fit...
Need help with 2 bedroom arched niches
What to do with these two large niches in bedroom?
Make bedside lamps taller for new thicker mattress
Our lamps in 2 bedrooms were bought before the mattresses....