Help! I m stuck...kitchen & breakfast area
maggiemae0552
I m still trying to pull together my kitchen & breakfast area. The kitchen is beige and greens with a blue & green rug. the adjoining breakfast area is cream with a very tiny red check wallpaper on the bottom. I've gotten several good suggestions but am frozen in fear of doing the wrong thing....i m running out of money and want to use it the best way possible. More suggestions would be appreciated.
TanCalGal
What R U keeping & what R U willing to not keep? Not sure of what your question is. No photo of blue green rug. R U keeping check wallpaper? check chair seats? valences?
January 24, 2013 at 3:57pm   
Judith Taylor Designs
What bothers you about the space? What is your question?
January 24, 2013 at 4:00pm   
Jayme H.
Are you keeping the wallpaper? My first thought was to a different color under the chair rail...to tie it into backsplash/countertop colors.
January 24, 2013 at 4:12pm     
maggiemae0552
this is my breakfast area - i m taking down check wallpaper. need color suggestions. should above & below chair rail be similar in color or darker on top and light on bottom? not much wall space and plan to keep trim white. kitchen has mostly beige, green glass tiles. rug in kitchen is green and blue. ihave attached a pic of kitchen. some have suggested a sage gray but i cant picture that looking right. adjoining den has a rose couch and flowered chaid. i have attached a pic of that too. Thanks!
January 25, 2013 at 4:38pm   
Danielle B
I would paint the wall below the rail with one of the darker shades from the backsplash's accent tile, or in a darker shade of the top wall colour. The rug in the kitchen should tie in with your couch and chair. I think you don't need to do much more, everything else is in harmony.
January 25, 2013 at 4:49pm   
anitajoyce
Love the colors in the nice kitchen rug. You could use one of the colors in it for the walls. How about a mustard color for the walls. You could paint the bottom half of the dining room wall in beige or white and the upper half in a mustard color. This color would work well with your sofa and chair also. A sage green , blue grey or grey green would be nice also.
January 25, 2013 at 4:50pm   
TanCalGal
I feel the kitchen has sophisticated colors with the maple cabinets, ORB / black faucets and interesting green mosaic border. I'd remove the rug & black/white chicken. They do not seem to enhance the green tone mosaic border. The mosaic border is the diva & other things should blend with it and not try to upstage it. There is not much counter space, so I would try to keep counters as uncluttered as possible. If you'd like something decorative on the counter, think matte black items. This kitchen has a few: Kitchen

Eating area: I like the white trim and would paint upper & lower walls a light neutral. No valence, neutral chair seats not the check. Portfolio Photographs

I'd paint chandelier matte black with neutral shades. Wallingford Farmhouse

Den: I'd have swan on mantel & nothing else. Black candlesticks on coffee table. I like the beige pillows on sofa that repeat background of chintz chair. Maybe a small black pillow on the chintz chair for an additional black accent.
January 25, 2013 at 5:34pm   
Interiors by Melanie Robinson
Break the rules!! Many of the showhomes are painting the walls and the molding the same color. I did this in my living/dining room in a chocolate brown and I love the result! Also, I think a continuous curtain rod for the bay windows with some beautiful linen or natural fiber panels would look great
in the dining area. I think that would look really good with your chairs and the black/white cushions. I also like the direction you seem to be headed with the green apples. Black/white/apple green/creamy white or tan walls would give a fresh look and could easily be added to with season changes with reds,etc. It always helps to decide the overall look you want to achieve, what look you are aiming for. Do you want neutral walls with pops of color, or do you want colorful walls with more neutral accents? If you like to change things with the seasons, I would opt for the neutral walls with pops of color/pattern. You mentioned that you wanted to use the remainder of your money wisely.....I think you get a more timeless, classic look when you go slow and choose carefully. Another tip is to choose curtain panels in a similar hue to your wall color to visually open up the area/make it appear larger. Add some beautiful trim to bring in the colors of your family room, etc. Slipcovers for your furniture are another good investment. They help unify the space, while using the furniture you already have. So paint, curtain panels, and possibly slipcovers would give you the good basics to a beautiful kitchen/family room. Add some new throw pillows in a few other patterns ( I like no more than 3 patterns that coordinate in an area ) Good luck, and have fun!
January 25, 2013 at 5:50pm   
maggiemae0552
excellent ideas - i hadnt considered panels for the breakfast area and i want to step out of my comfort zone so some linen panels might be the way to go. I have only been in the house for 5 months. The entire house is painted the same beige with white trim. The paint job is absolutely perfect and it is a pretty beige but i do like a little color on some walls. even though the house is 7 years old the walls are in perfect condition - on patches, nail pops, etc. Thats why i have been hesitant to paint. i do love the black, white, apple green combo BUT i had that at my last house so maybe it would be fun to try something different. it is so good to be able to get advice from people who know what works and what doesnt. i know u have heard this before but i know what i like when i see it but find it hard to pull everything together. i have clippings of rooms that i love but when i try to recreate the look i can never seem to find the right things....they make it seem so easy on tv. But i am getting there, it is a process and i m retired so i m trying to not be impatient and i m not going to settle for just "ok". most of my rooms have the beginnings of being special they just need some tweeking (hopefully - i think...) . Here are a couple of pics of other rooms in my house & a picture of my cat who thinks i m doing a fabulous job :) Thanks again for taking the time to give me suggestions, i m definitely going to try them.
January 26, 2013 at 5:43pm     
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with everyone that said to change that wall paper. It really doesn't help the look of your kitchen.
January 26, 2013 at 5:58pm   
maggiemae0552
To olldj22 - i really like your suggestions about the accessories. i got the black check chicken because it had a Mckenzie-Childs look (but not the high price) and it picked up the black check pattern on the breakfast chairs. i have a nice looking black lantern that maybe i could put in Ms chickens place and lose the white pitcher with the wooden spoons; although i do use my spoons! I had some red/yellow green valances that i found tucked away and put them up this afternoon. i will use them until i find the right curtains or panels. i attached a pic below. As much as i love the blue/green rug in the kitchen i need to change it out - it just doesn't go with the rest of the downstairs area. i am going to use the rugs in my master bath - the colors will go perfect in there. I might try a soft jute or sisal rug by the sink, or maybe no rug at all. i just keep buying and returning! thanks for your help.
January 26, 2013 at 6:01pm   
maggiemae0552
yep the wallpaper has gotta go...would the revere Pewter paint color in kitchen and continued into breakfast area work? The revere Pewter is a warm gray and the granite has some gray in it and the mosaic has some charcoal colors. Paint colors are so tricky, what works one place can be a disaster in another place. But if i used the pewter color in the kitchen/breakfast area then maybe i could use a slightly darker gray in the dining room? It snowballs!!! i will get a sample and try it.
January 26, 2013 at 6:09pm   
maggiemae0552
i love Pinterest
January 26, 2013 at 6:13pm   
TanCalGal
I like the kitchen & breakfast nook painted the same. I'd stick with the beige that is in the house already. Why? The granite is not the diva. The mosaic is the diva & everything should enhance the diva. I don't think Revere Pewter is going to enhance the diva. I'd leave windows bare, or a valence in the color of the wall paint and similar chair seat covers. It's not that I don't love the chicken and the black check seat covers & other items U have, (I think the chicken & black check seat covers R adorable) ...I do not feel those items enhance the diva.

Other rooms very nice! Thank U for sharing.

Here's a good article on choosing paint http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/
January 26, 2013 at 6:57pm   
maggiemae0552
Hey, I'm the Diva in that kitchen! LOL and everything must enhance me. hahaha All kidding aside, i m so glad you like the marble subway tiles and glass tiles...i tortured myself trying to find just the right tiles and granite to go with the light cabinets. i can change out rugs and curtains and paint colors but i knew that once the tile and granite were in they would be here to stay. thanks again
January 26, 2013 at 7:17pm   
TanCalGal
lol. And make sure your entire wardrobe coordinates perfectly with the diva...
January 26, 2013 at 7:20pm   
maggiemae0552
don't push it
January 26, 2013 at 7:47pm   
TanCalGal
lol.
January 26, 2013 at 7:55pm   
maggiemae0552
:)
January 26, 2013 at 8:03pm   
I'm stuck designing lighting for a low ceiling barn kitchen.
This is a barn conversion with low ceilings on the...
Need advice on Family Room/Kitchen - I'm Stuck!!
Hello, I am in desperate need of some advice for my...
Need serious color help with master bath!!! I'm stuck
I am renovating my small master bathroom. Given, and...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
Bad staircase design...please help!
We are not around to monitor our new build, and ended...
Need help in open kitchen design
Hi Guys, I bought an apartment recently but the...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...