Need help updating a room around existing tile
claire12345
We are doing a compete remodel of my husband's grandparents' house built in 1978. The guest bath already had tile that had an interesting look so we decided to keep it so we'd have something in the house that was from the original design. I need suggestions on how to improve the look around the tile. Mainly wall paint and countertop color suggestions. We aren't changing any actual architecture in this room.
Split Rock Associates Inc.
Love the tile! Try a venetian plaster finish which is always beautiful and holds up very well to moisture. it has just the right character to work with your exisiting tile and adds tons of sophistication to any space. The application of the plaster creates varying degrees and shades of color which makes it much more interesting than a monochromatic finish like paint. You can probably keep the countertop if you go that way.
January 21, 2013 at 2:11PM     
Here are some paint colors that will work with it. Sherwin Williams 6218 Tradewind (like the pale bluish tone) 7018 Dovetail (a greige,) If you want to pick up on the purplish tone 6816 Dahlia. The tile is a bit Mediterranean if you lean that direction in colors.
January 21, 2013 at 2:18PM   
claire12345
thanks! This picture shows the countertop a bit better... I think it's going to clash with the tile no matter what, but I was thinking to just make it a more solid cream color. Maybe just using cultured marble to keep the cost down and we probably wouldn't want a busy granite on the counter when there's so much going on with the tile anyway.
January 21, 2013 at 2:31PM   
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
I completely agree with descoenthusiaste. Tradewind form Sherwin William is a beautiful color and with the more traditional and authentic feel of the tile, tradewind will help the space feel updated. I would also get a simple textured white shower curtain, no pattern, you do not want to fight with the tile.

I would also put some update harware!

This is how tradewind looks in a room.

January 21, 2013 at 2:37PM   
OasisDesign&Remodeling
I TOTALLY agree with Split Rock. Keep the plaster in tones of the tile!!! If you have a standard size vanity, Home Depot has great graite tops that are very subtley toned & well priced by Pegasus. I would use iron hardware on the cabinets.
January 21, 2013 at 2:46PM   
need help updating living room that has white tile floor
I am not willing to take out the large white tile that...
Need help - how to add new tile to wall with existing old tile
I want to add tile half way up the wall with a border...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
What color furniture should I use for this two tone blue room?
My entire house was a silver gray, and I was desperate...
What to do with this toilet space
Our master bath has all this space around the toilet....
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...