Ground
bciebell
January 21, 2013
Great setting, is that pea gravel under the furniture? Also, what is used as the base under the pea gravel?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Shapiro Didway
Pea Gravel would not be a preferred walking surface. It reminds me of walking in sand as it rolls under your feet and never compacts well. It is better suited as a drain rock.

Standard 1/4" gravel crushed (angular) was used at depth of 2" on top of a base rock installation of 3/4" crushed rock at a depth of 4". Important to install a non-woven (aka spun bonded) soil separation "landscape fabric" fabric between soil and base rock so that the 3/4" gravel does not get contaminated with soil which can cause settling and drainage problems down the road.

When selecting your gravel surfacing, be careful not to use 1/4" minus or anything with minus if you can avoid it. Minus contains fines which have a way of tracking onto other surfaces where you don't want it, such as your hardwood floors inside. Also if minus is part of the base such as the 3/4" that we used here, it will not drain as well since there will be less void space for water movement and storage.
9 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 7:51AM
hintzbueno
What are the tree in the background? How far apart are they planted? How tall do they grow?
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:09AM
PRO
Shapiro Didway
They are Arborvitae, planted 2' on center. They grow to about 15' tall.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 12:11PM
PRO
Urban Landscape
This setting looks perfect. What is the stone used for fireplace and what is the height as well?
    Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 8:06AM
Latashia Jackson
How long does it take for an arborvitae to grow 15' tall? I currently have some that are 2' tall.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:16AM
PRO
Pebble Tile Shop
You could achieve a similar look as this floor by using pebble tile as well. Great outdoor space!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
I need a new rug for this room...
Room is about 12.5" x 12.5". I need a rug that will...
Debbie
Should the media console be on the rug?
HELP! We just bought a new rug, a 9*12, and I'm wondering...
Michelle Williams
Help with BM Paint Colors for entire main level renovation
Hii, Im looking for a bit of help deciding what paint...
berkleemarie4
need a few curb appeal ideas
My girlfriend and I just bought our first rental house....
theonlyjon
Bathroom update
Painted the room but, am trying to decide if I should...
tjokunkel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™