Can I paint counter too?
dingette
Our counter top for the vanity is only a few years old, I'm just looking to lighten it up. Is there any CHEAP way to do it without replacing it? Like painting it, or something?
rontiki20
I believe Rustoleum has counter top transformation kits. They range in colors but take a time commitment to complete. Good luck!
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 8:10PM
sonomamama
I think I might paint the vanity before I painted the counter. You could create some nice contrast with a lighter vanity.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 8:21PM
kathleen MK
Ok this is a crazy art teacher cheap trick but it's held up for years with just a few touch ups.
We bought an old 1970's house with chocolate brown cultured marble tub and vanities which clashed with top layer of 1980's pastel wallpaper. i got the epoxy tub paint and " whited out" the tub doing the week long sand, mix ,paint, repeat process. Then i decided appliance spray epoxy would stick on the vanity which didn't need to hold hot water like the tub. I could blend colors using a technique from a British faux finsh book I had read. So I sprayed patches of white and biscuit and light gray and used plastic grocery bags to dab or rag a faux marble texture. More like limestone really and i let the brown show through in places. This temporary fix was just to keep me from going crazy from my color sensitivity only until we could replace the ugly stuff but it's been ten years. Since the colors are mottled I can touch up with any of the colors but I've only had a couple scratches.
looking at your picture, if you lightened the countertop that tile backsplash would stick out. they could be epoxyed too. Or you could tile the counter.
If you have never tried faux finish or sponge painting test techniques on scrap cardboard to get a feel for it.
Hope this makes sense.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 9:01PM
hockey456
Paint the ca
    Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 11:50PM
hockey456
Paint the cabinet white. I don't think you'll ever be happy painting the counter top.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 11:52PM
onthefence
I know all things are relative, but it looks like that is a fairly straight forward run of countertop and may not be that expensive to replace.

Take your measurements and head to HD or Lowes and get a price on a Formica replacement. Or, if you have granite suppliers near you, head to one of them. Many carry prefabed granite tops.

The painting ideas probably won't work long term and you'll have spent a lot of time and a decent amount of $$ to get something that didn't last.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 11:57PM
onthefence
Alternatively, as others have suggested, paint the cabinet white and add white molding around the mirror to frame it. Add some bright white baskets or containers on your vanity top for the items in the corner.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 12:00AM
Aja Mazin
kathleen MK,

Would this work on "enamel" or acrylic vanities from the 70's???

by vanity, do you mean sink?
    Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 12:14AM
Aja Mazin
Rustoleum counter top transformation kits.take 3 - 5 days and you can not breathe the fumes.

I was staying at Executive Suites and I had to change rooms before the counter in the bathroom was done.

One whiff from my new suite on another floor and I checked out.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 12:22AM
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Rustoleum is a easy fix to your needs.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 1:02AM
Aja Mazin
If you paint, use Giani.

gianigranite.com
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 2:19AM
Can an area be too dark for soapstone counters?
We are redoing master bath in FL vacation house. The...
loves2read
What can I do with too shiny semi-gloss paint?
Just painted my bathroom with semi-gloss paint and...
bverbos
Can you use this backsplash with grey soapstone counters or would that be too busy?
Beautiful kitchen. We looked at marble, but decided...
Robyn Pollack
yuniamira
Subway tile.... Out dated?
Is the subway tile look outdated? I've heard somewhere...
mrslahman
Need help im building a guest house
The size of the land 78ftx50ft. i want to build 3 story...
cristina macabenta
Help with the Family Room - Decor and Furniture Layout!
Hi everyone! We are new home owners, and I've been...
bubbles0208
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...
window shades
information about garber shades
brucetreichler