macmac2004
April 2, 2011 in Photo Questions
I don't see a hearth, only wood flooring. How did this homeowner get around the requirement?
motherbear
The fireplace is totally for looks & ambiance. It's gas, behind glass. I bet that gets you around code.
April 2, 2011 at 5:11PM   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Mother bear is correct. Gas fireplaces do not require hearth extensions by code, but may require one IF the installation manual of the fireplace says it does. That particular fireplace does not require a non-combustible hearth extension in the installation manual.
September 8, 2011 at 6:40PM   
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Actually, most gas or electric fireplaces have a "zero tolerance" which means you can forego the old fashioned tile hearth. We've been building fireplaces like that for decades now...
September 8, 2011 at 7:41PM   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
True, Marie, but you have to be more careful about making a generalization these days because many of the new "clean face", flush-hearth gas fireplaces or high efficiency fireplaces actually require non-combustible hearth extensions.

Electric fireplaces do not require not combustible hearth extensions. Yet. Although . . . we have one electric fireplace that must be mounted at least 14" off of the floor, because the heating element blows out of the bottom.

As long as we're on the topic, many fireplaces actually require a hearth extension with a significant "k" factor (resistance to heat flow), so simply putting down cement board, marble or tile is not sufficient.

Apparently, some houses burned down. Read the directions. Men, I mean you. Ladies, you already do that.
September 8, 2011 at 8:26PM     
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
LOL, yes you are correct tomfromcoastroad. Always read the clearances and code requirements for both your individual unit and your local building code requirements. Better to be safe than sorry. And, if you want a no hearth fireplace, make sure you purchase the correct fireplace!
September 8, 2011 at 8:29PM   
hilltop1155
That may be a Town & Country Luxury Gas Fireplace. I don't believe those normally require a hearth, but I agree with others about checking local codes just to be on the safe side.
September 9, 2011 at 11:33PM   
Mark English Architects, AIA
This Montigo gas fireplace does not require a hearth.
August 22, 2012 at 12:37PM   
metal roof
Husband wants to put "metal roof"on our 1870 farm house....
Tile Floor---??Grout color
Installing a 12x12 black and white porcelain tile floor...
Need for privacy
Am I the only one who freaks out at the thought of...
Wood bathroom decor
Hi all. This is a very small bathroom in my new home....
Stone stairs
What's the prep work on installing stone stair down...