Help with new dining room.
Trish
My budget for this room is 500 dollars. Can I go dark with the paint? There is a chair rail, should I do different colors above and below? Also, I'm not nuts about the light fixture. Can I spray paint it or do I need to replace it? Any other low cost suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Trish
More pics
   January 22, 2013 at 9:33AM
mveasey
Hi
It seems your dining room has a more traditional feel.
So yes, I think i would switch out the chandelier for a more traditional one. Also, I would perhaps remove the storm doors on your beautiful french doors if that is an option.
Place two chairs on each side for a more put together feel. Some nice candlesticks with candles in different heights grouped together on your table will look nice.
Hunt your own house for things like that, ask friends and family, a lot of people have stuff stored away and are happy to pass things on, if someone needs it. Check craigslist and thrift stores.
Your tall hutch looks beautiful. I would consider switching it with the longer, lower one from across the wall in the kitchen. Hope it fits! That way you will have a more symmetrical look. You can place two same higher plants around the taller hutch, or place some art on each side. If you are lucky and find a few similar prints, then I would hang the other ones above the lower hutches. Put your nice grandfather clock on the lower hutch with a runner, put another same runner on the other lower hutch.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 10:16AM
mveasey
I like your paint. It is up to you, if you want to change that.
I cannot tell from the photos, but what is the fuzzy stuff just above the chair rail? If it is a border, I would remove/ paint over it. The thing that will make the nicest impact is getting some drapes to frame your pretty dining room window. Get a curtain rod (or spray paint an inexpensive one) the same material as your new light fixture. Don't scrimp on the fabric quantity wise, just one tiny narrow little panel on each side will look sad, you need at least 12" of loosely bunched material on each side, from what I can see on the photo.Make sure your curtain rod will be long enough to accommodate. Good luck!
   January 22, 2013 at 10:29AM
I was just on your other post…wow, you are taking on a lot at once. Are you going to paint that fireplace wall?

You said your living room pieces were new and your rug is fairly contemporary. This set does not go with your living room vision. I think you need to start from scratch. Everything is way too big and too dark. You probably can sell these pieces on Craig's list.
pocket white extension dining table CB2 - shown open

A table like this, and chairs in this color (not this price) to pull in your living room accent colors. Then your chandy would be o k.
Wishbone Chair | DWR
   January 22, 2013 at 10:35AM
mveasey
If you want to go more traditional, here a few photos:
This is all from Lowes.
   January 22, 2013 at 11:06AM
mveasey
I think you can happily mix styles, it helps to figure out what you like most or to go with the given style of a house, if it has a particular one. You have the benefit of having chosen neutral fabrics which is great!
   January 22, 2013 at 11:09AM
Need help choosing new furniture for living room / dining room
I want to update my lr/dr and would like suggestions...
Split Living & Dining room into 3 rooms? New home construction help
See the first image below for original plan - it has...
Help needed for living room and dining room new grad
Finally moved into an apt and I am the worst at decorations....
Need help...diy new home construction...dining room delima
Originally I planned on having the formal dining room...
Need help with the new dining room
This is the dining room of our house we just purchased...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Struggling with paint colors.
I love color. And lots of it. I just redid my powder...
Accent wall and decorations
Hi everyone. .I already painted and bought furniture...
What would you change in this small kitchen?
We live in a 1200 sq ft house, so the kitchen is small....