Laminate countertop advice
Joann Yurchesyn
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are about to put dark chocolate cabinetry in our summer home. We cannot afford solid surface countertops and are therefore going for a laminate product. Any advice on choosing a laminate regarding aesthetics? Shiny vs. matte, veined patterns vs. non veined? It's a cottage so we want to make it simple but, tasteful.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Essence Design Studios
Crema Mascarello is a beautiful finish by Formica: http://www.formica.com/home/laminate/gallery/#image=/images/gallery/Formica180fx_3422_CremaMascarello_eSeries_755_eFog_1.jpg Going with something that looks like a light granite or marble would be a classic look. Something that has movement would mimic a natural stone better than one that does not. I also think shiny or matte would depend on the type of stone look you go for. If you go for a granite look, then a shinier finish would look more realistic. If you go for the look of travertine or marble, than you can go for matte or shiny. The Crema Mascarello would look beautiful with the dark chocolate cabinets too!! The Formica Travertine Silver is also a beautiful look, if you want to go a little more classic modern. In this case I would go matte: http://www.formica.com/home/laminate/gallery/#image=/images/gallery/180fx_3458_TravertineSilver_Comm.jpg
January 22, 2013 at 10:44AM   
Joann Yurchesyn
Thanks Essence. I like both of these, and they're very much to my taste. Any advice about finished edges? Should be go with a blunter edge or something more bullnose? I have seen laminate surfaces that you have to do a double take on because they are so well designed that you cannot tell they're laminate until you're up close and personal. I really don't like ones that are obvious! Honestly, I know what I love in solid surface tops but I'm very uncertain about choosing laminates.
January 23, 2013 at 6:44AM   
PRO
Essence Design Studios
The ogee edge, is a pretty edge on laminate. I believe most fabricators can do that now, and it cuts out the laminate look of piecing the laminate sheets together on the countertop. It gives it a smooth, whole look. Here is the link to an example, and you can look up local dealers & fabricators. http://www.formica.com/home/ideal-edge/new-laminate-decorative-countertop-edge/ Formica's headquarters are here in Cincinnati where my business is, so there are a lot of local dealers. If you use their website you should be able to find some close to you. A premium edge like that is an upgrade, but it's worth the investment to have a look that's closest to natural stone.

What were your plans for a backsplash? were you going to go with a laminte counter shorter backsplash of 4" or a tile backsplash?
January 23, 2013 at 6:56AM   
Joann Yurchesyn
We'll do a nice tile. I find that I get tired of the 4" backsplash look fast and it's very busy if you add tile to it. Thanks for all the advice. I love your choices!!
January 24, 2013 at 6:36AM