Is this pendant too big for this room?
Mike T
My wife and I are putting this room together and we added a drum shade pendant last night. I think it looks just right but my wife is of the opinion that it is too big.

As always, I am very grateful for your expertise and opinions. Please feel free to comment on any other aspect of the room. This is the keeping room off of our kitchen.

P.S. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.
Jayme H.
I like it, but not there. I am sorry but from this view it overtakes the FP...I think something more "see through" is needed/or flush mount....LOVE your room!!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:34PM
mmilos
The size looks good to me.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:34PM
sheilaandlawrence
too big - would look okay over a dining table tho.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:40PM
22-Red Design Studio
I actually love it! It is a little on the big side, but I think that's what I love about it. It makes a statement. I think you'll find that once the room is filled more proportionately with furniture, the light fixture won't overwhelm so much, but will still stand out.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:43PM
Mike T
I appreciate the feedback. For those of you that think it's too big, is it the actual size of the drum or that it hangs too low that bothers you?

The room will soon have two gray linen wing back chairs opposite the couch, a rug, and a coffee table in the middle. Would this change anyone's opinion? Any suggestions for a rug? We are thinking of something that has a pattern of mustard and white.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:02PM
Art & Interiors by Lisa
I think it works. Just needs a coffee table with seating on both sides.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:02PM
JMittman Designs
Can I ask about the window treatments? Are those temporary curtain panels?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:06PM
Mike T
lol ouch, no not temporary. They are simple linen panels hanging on braided steel cable (Ikea). There are so many windows in that room we didn't want to overwhelm the space with hardware, plus it allows us to pull them all to one end when they are open.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:09PM
mmilos
^ Agreed about the curtains. I would add natural woven or matchstick type shades for privacy and keep the white panels pulled to the sides to eliminate the drying sheet effect.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:10PM
Jayme H.
It may be the angle of the pic...not sure..that shot makes it look sort of "clunky"...
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:11PM
Total Quality Home Builders, Inc.
Currently it is the focal point of your room, however when other elements are added in (depending upon those elements) it will compliment or take away. Maybe wait to make a decision on it until your room pieces are all completed. Then you will be able to see if your eye passes it by as part of the design or migrates to it. Then you have to decided if you want it as the focal point or if you would rather have others notice your rug! The fixture itself...beautiful!
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:12PM
sheilaandlawrence
Yes, I think more seating and a table under it would def help
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:13PM
Jayme H.
Ideas
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:19PM
Jayme H.
This one may be too formal, but it is so elegant
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:23PM
STUDIO MB
If its over the table it's fabulous..if not shorten the stem..
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:23PM
Mike T
over the table as in over the coffee table correct?
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:25PM
JMittman Designs
Sorry, I did not mean to insult. They just look kind of limp hanging there flat like that. Will you keep them open more? Do you need to pull them shut for privacy? They definitely could look better pulled open. And I have to agree, they look a little like sheets hanging there. ;(
On that long window, you have that on a cable with no center support? I would be cautious pulling those open and shut across that wire. Are the brackets installed in studs? I have heard stories about those cables coming loose over time and sagging. If you plan to pull them open and shut consistently, be wary of that. Let's see how your room looks when the furniture is added
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:29PM
bonnielynn75
I think it looks fine, when you have the other furniture balancing out the room it will not look so large. The couch looks too pushed against the windows, what if it was facing the fireplace with a sofa table behind it?
Be sure you buy the rug large enough for the space, the furniture should have at least the front legs sitting on it.
What is the inspiration for adding mustard to the room? Aren't the walls a blue-grey?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:34PM
STUDIO MB
Yes coffee table
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:39PM
Mike T
JMittman, Please don't apologize, you were absolutely correct! We do keep them open nearly all of the time. We just pull them shut at night. I had similar concerns about the cables and made sure that every support is securely mounted into a stud.

That being said, the curtains were more or less a temporary solution for privacy. We moved from NYC to Atlanta this summer and more than quadrupled our square footage. We've added these curtains because they were a cheap and easy solution that didn't necessary need to be replaced anytime soon (or so we thought lol). Okay what would be a better window treatment? I like the idea of woven shades, but wouldn't mind keeping the curtains either . . .
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:42PM
Mike T
bonnielynn the poor quality of the photo may be throwing off the color on the walls. It is Benjamin Moore Woodlawn Blue, I couldn't get a photo to link for some reason. We thought the blue would go well with the yellow.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:49PM
Robert Nebolon Architects
Room currently has too many visual focal points: the fire-place, the pendant light. they are both fighting for top billing: There is usually one diva in an opera. If there are two, one gets knocked off in the final act.
Solution: Pick one focal point (probably the FP) and make the pendant subservient to the FP (that probably means make pendant smaller in size and closer to the ceiling.
Then everything else should fall into place as long as you make the FP the top billing.
In my experience, it takes quite a deft touch to have everything mesh together visually when everything wants a lot of attention. So, an alternate design solution is to establish a heirarchy of visual importance.
Good luck!
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:54PM
Jayme H.
Ha ha..this is a site for multiple Divas....LOL!! I am open to suggestion...still feel it's too clunky, although as a fixture, I do like it! Looking forward to seeing the outcome!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:58PM
Robert Nebolon Architects
Nice fixture, but you have the right thought..too large for the room.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 2:34PM
Mike T
Okay all, thanks again for your comments. We added a couple of chairs and an ottoman to the room. I'm curious if this changes anyone's opinion about whether the pendant is too big. I'm on still on the fence. We will be adding a coffee table as well, just haven't found one we like yet. The rug is also just temporary.

Thanks again!
4 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:39PM
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I was reading the thread and was about to comment that it was just a tad too big for the room and maybe it should be shortened but then you posted the picture above and it looks perfect now!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:45PM
Natalie
Looks fine---put it on a dimmer switch and you're set. CheerS!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:47PM
Mike T
Awesome! Thanks for your opinion!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:47PM
Kerrie
I love the light. I think the size is fine. Looks good to me!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:07PM
JMittman Designs
Wow, looks sooo much better! And your curtains look FAB opened up like that! :)
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:28PM
Jayme H.
It doesn't stand out so much now...looks better!!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:44PM
mamachers
I think it looks fabulous. The room has really come together. Great Job!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:52PM
handymam
I just saw this tonight, and was going to say I thought it looked good, but maybe others didn't because the room was still kind of empty. Then I saw the pic with all the furniture in. I still think it looks good!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:08PM
Mike T
Thanks everyone!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:23PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Absolutely not, it looks great!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:24PM
Would two 19" Restoration Hardware Pendant lights be too big?
My kitchen island is 10 feet by 4.5 feet and I have...
soonheebuchholz
Pendant Lights - is it too big?
I have a friend who is moving out of state and would...
ahpeste
Pendant size help- are these too big for my kitchen?
We are installing this Sonneman chandelier, http://www.houzz.com/photos/6661858/Sonneman-4398-57-Zylinder-Black---Chrome-Pendant-contemporary-pendant-lighting....
tflores21
Can I mix it up?!
I have an oak pedestal table in my dining room. I...
Dionne
What is the best backsplash above the kitchen sink?
The paint above my kitchen sink needs to either be...
cgraybill
Bar height or Counter height home bar?
We're remodeling our great room into a game room with...
Jennifer Wood
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg