Paint for east facing lakefront rooms
oakleyspanky
We have purchased a lovely Cape Cod style lakefront home. The living room, new dining room addition, and upstairs master bedroom face east and will receive little direct sunlight. We are just about to start the reno and will be putting in quite dark hardwood floors in these spaces. I don't want the rooms to look gloomy. I am thinking light cream for living and dining room and very light blue for master. Would this be too cold? The only pics I have are winter ones and not very good. Suggestions?
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
I love to lighten up walls especially when light is lower.

Here is an example of Sherwin Williams Divine White in a family room:
Khan's Family Room

Another example of a great color is Sherwin Williams Passive - shown in this master bedroom. I personally have it in my family room and it's a great cool feel.
Owner's Bedroom

I do not think it looks too cool. Especially if you warm it up with some creams, warm grays and natural tones.
January 22, 2013 at 8:39PM     
jenpa8
I would definitely go with light colors for eastern facing windows, but light blue in a master seems chilly. How about a warm gray, something with a little peach in it with the same color trim, just maybe a shade darker. you could paint the fireplace brick the trim color to brighten up the fireplace. See pic for inspiration.
January 22, 2013 at 8:40PM   
Tres McKinney Design
Your views are breathtaking. I think dark floors and light walls would be lovely. Pale blue in the bedroom will be restful and pick up on the blue of the lake. You might also consider a blue and white wall paper in the bedroom to add warmth to the space and play off the sloped ceiling. I would also consider replacing the baseboard with a taller profile and staining it the same color as the floor.
January 22, 2013 at 8:42PM   
oakleyspanky
Thanks I really like the Divine White. For the master, if I went away from blue I was considering BM early frost, which is almost a pale gray violet.... I was told full spectrum colours are better for east light??? We are doing almost a total gut of the main floor, changing the kitchen into the entry, the dining area into the kitchen and adding on a dining room overlooking the lake by knocking out the wall and closing in a side deck. The lakeside of the house will be all picture windows but I am still concerned the kitchen may not enough natural light. I will have antique white cabinets, light granite with some metallic flecks and black veining, a dark espresso island with same granite and dark floors. The living dining and kitchen area will be all one space once its finished. Would it be best to continue the same cream, or divine white colour throughout the space? Would it be better to be a shade darker than the cabinets in the kitchen? Should I go with a dark or light backsplash? Sorry getting carried away here, so many decisions.....Appreciate all suggestions! The first pic shows the French doors and wall that will be removed to make the dining room, and the second shows the other wall that is coming down to open the space to the new addition. I want it to feel warm, elegant and casual. Is that possible?
January 22, 2013 at 9:31PM   
oakleyspanky
Thank you also Trey and Jen?? Some of those pics were a bit dark. Here is a better one of the master and the eating area and doorway that will be opened up and added onto for the kitchen island and then dining room. We just purchased the home and its in great shape but definitely circa 1991... Definitely welcome all suggestions...
January 22, 2013 at 9:50PM   
I think you are right on in your decisions! Trust yourself. I agree light/white almost everywhere with that fab view and dark floors. Your kitchen plans sound divine! And the same wall color throughout kitchen/living. Light backsplash. Yes. Full steam ahead cuz you've got it goin' on!
January 22, 2013 at 10:00PM   
oakleyspanky
Darzy you make me feel much better, Now I can go to sleep And do more planning tomorrow:)
January 22, 2013 at 10:19PM     
Anish Motwani Associates
hey
the house is good and its great that it will receive sunlight.
According to Indian Vastu Science one should have nice bright colors in the house such as yellow, bright blue, pastel shades of green and cream.

Do not make the house look dull. if possible go for more of whites and accessorize the house with artefacts and nice paintings.
Attach are good colors according to directions

Regards

Anish Motwani Associates
www.anishkmotwani.in
January 22, 2013 at 10:41PM   
Your initial idea of a light cream color is great. The blue color in the master bedroom example below is not your conventional choice, but I find that more cheerful than most.

Kitchen

Miami-Master Bedroom A
January 23, 2013 at 5:50AM   
oakleyspanky
Dyt
January 23, 2013 at 7:23PM   
oakleyspanky
Dytecture. Thank you for your comment, love the colours and feel of the first cream room especially
January 23, 2013 at 7:25PM     
Paint for east facing lakefront rooms
We have purchased a lovely Cape Cod style lakefront...
choosing a wall colour for a dark entry sitting room facing south east
The small dark room is the entry to the house. Has...
East facing small kids room - colour required!!
Please, help! My daughter (2yrs old) room is up for...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
Have to decide between alder wood or maple wood cabinets?
I have to decide between alder wood or maple wood cabinets....
Window treatment help
Trying to decide on window treatments. Do I need to...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Length / height of console table for large couch
Does anyone know any rules of thumb about how long...