Need Help, Not sure what color dining chairs to pick with table.
niktay
I just bought a parsons table from room and board that is dark/black natural steel with the frosted glass top.

My dilemma is what color chairs to go with the table and also need some counter stools that are nearby.

I don't have a picture of the spot that it is going in, but the area has a dark floor with variations of gray and some rust colors through the tile. The living, dining and kitchen area are one large area with a tall dark gray accent wall and the rest of the walls are a light tan.

I just can't decide which way to go. Whatever color of dining chair I pick, I think I am going to pick the opposite color to do a couple counter stools,

I have attached pictures of the table I am getting, as well as the chairs I am looking at which will be a black, white or ivory (which I just stumbled across the ivory chairs, not sure about them because I just kept thinking either black or white chairs). The other thing is I can't decide on chairs with no arms or arms.

mmilos
Stick with the black or white. Ivory might not go with the frosted glass. Get 4 armless side chairs...then what about some different, modern, but larger scale host chairs for the ends? You could upholster those in a fun colored fabric.
January 23, 2013 at 12:40pm   
niktay
Thanks, That helps narrow it down between black and white. I like the idea of host chairs if I find some that I like.
The other thing I thought about was getting the counter stools in a color to add a little fun to the area.
January 23, 2013 at 12:43pm   
HI -- Do you need counter stools and are you going to use them or do you think you have to get counter stools just because you have a counter ??? Don't put the money out if you don't . I like the white chairs and do those come in an arm chair model and maybe in a color for your host chairs ?
January 23, 2013 at 12:49pm   
niktay
We do use the counter stools quite often. (either hubby or daughter is at counter eating or doing other items or just using it as a place to sit and talk while I'm in the kitchen).

I don't know if the white chairs come with an arm chair model. I have only seen the black chair with the arms.
January 23, 2013 at 12:53pm   
Frances Temple-West Architect
It sounds like the perfect opportunity to introduce a pop of color. Your palette is fairly muted with gray and tan. You mentioned hints of rust. Perhaps if the chairs were a shade of red or orange it could draw out the rust color in the tile. Also chairs with some curve to them would play off the straight lines of the table. Or using natural wood chairs as a counterpoint to the steel and glass would be very nice. Warm it up a bit.
January 23, 2013 at 12:55pm   
niktay
What about doing the counter stools in a pop of color, either orange or red?

I really like the style of the chairs I posted but they only come in black or white.

Do you think if I do the chairs (either black or white) with chrome legs, that the counter stools also need to have chrome? Or would it look ok to do a counter stool in a color with wood legs? Not sure if that type of mixture of seating would look odd.

In the area, I do have a very large abstract painting that has lots of color, red, silver, orange with subtle hints of teal.
January 23, 2013 at 1:06pm   
Frances Temple-West Architect
Choosing between black and white, I'd go with white. The painting sounds great and you can pull colors from it for the stools. Teal can blend very nicely with gray and tan. If you introduce another material such as wood then using a color from the painting can help tie it all together. All the materials don't need to match or be the same. You just need an element, such as a color, to make it cohesive.
January 23, 2013 at 1:15pm   
niktay
I was leaning towards the white chair, thank you.

I did see a teal counter stool that would look very nice and give the area a little bit of warm color. I already have some teal throw pillows on the couch to bring the color from the painting, so I think a teal counter stool might be the way to go then to bring everything together.

Thanks so much, this has helped immensely with the decision making process!
January 23, 2013 at 1:25pm   
niktay
I just ordered the white chairs and found these teal counter chairs, I assume they will look OK together?

I am not sure about the host chairs yet, the space may not allow for large chairs at the end. So the color in a counter stool is a better option right now.
January 23, 2013 at 2:58pm   
Need help picking paint color for my dining room table and chairs
Hi everyone! I am looking for some help picking a paint...
Need help picking colors for dining room table and chairs!
I am getting a used oval dining room table and I need...
Need help picking 2 end chairs. What color black or beige etc?
Moving into a new home extending table adding two chairs...
Granite and backsplash
I'm redoing the kitchen in my newly purchased summer...
MOULDINGS ON LOUNGEROOM WALLS
I would like to wall mouldings on our lounge/dining...
Brown and green concept for living room
Hi there, I love the Mocha Olk laminate that I am going...
NEW HOME.....BLANK SLATE!
We recently moved in and am ready to decorate! I have...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...