Help me design a front porch!
cscottp8
We bought our house with, a very bland facade, 3 months ago. We need a front porch for aesthetics and weather coverage.We really love the craftsman look, but not sure it applies with this house style.
Help!!
Ironwood Builders
Tough to do Arts and Crafts on the T1-11 siding. though the plywood will shingle over beautifully..and with a vapor barrier it will be more efficient. Add heavy 2X window and door trim first. A low sloping shed roof tucked under the gutter of the existing roof is about what we will get without cutting into the existing roof to put in a gable. So many details left off that would turn this out...need gable overhangs on the balance of the house....but that requires a re-roof too! So a shed roofed porch across the front with some A&C type columns to support it? Move the plantings out and add some Adirondack chairs, maybe an old fashioned porch swing. Not sure this is helping...
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:19PM
cscottp8
Thanks Ironwood, re-roof and new siding would all be a part of of the face lift. I'm sure horizontal lap siding would be our choice. I should have mentioned that too.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:37PM
alwaysdesigning
How much of a porch do you want, or do you just want an overhang over the door for protection? A large overhang can work very nicely here with a couple large lanterns on each side. The exterior styling seems very "neutral" so it would be easy to incorporate an overhang and with no posts that take up space.

You might also consider carrying the overhang on down across your windows, it could be pulled back to a narrower profile for them, to give the house some balance and weight on the front. Good luck
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:18AM
cscottp8
Thanks "alwaysdesigning"! I really like the idea of of carrying the porch roof over the front windows, on a narrower profile. Could help the bareness of the big sloping roofline.
I hope to find some example pics. Amazing how hard it has been to find other examples of our house's architectural style.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:00AM
Cute house, kind of a contemporary take on an old 3/4 Cape. I would do glass in some fashion. Maybe a sloped roofline? Hard to tell how much header you have over the door. Your builder will have to advise there.

0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:05AM
nFORMAL design
I actually would say it is more of a reversed salt box, but there are many things you could do, including an entire front porch. Arts and Crafts would be hard to pull off without adding a lot of extra details to the rest of the house. Why not continue the contemporary take on colonial?
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:10AM
cscottp8
nFormal...exactly ! A reverse saltbox! I know the A&C change would have been a stretch. Now to find examples of porch remodels, would a tall gable over entry with a narrower profile over the rest of the front look right for our home?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:48AM
nFORMAL design
Not sure if you are going to inclose your porch have it open, but for ease of construction and keeping with the simple lines of the house, I'd just do a simple shed roof structure that stretches across the entire front.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:14AM
Need Help with Front Yard Landscaping or Front Porch Design
How can I increase curb appeal? Do I need to alter...
Kris Miller
Need help designing a porch for our front entrance.
Of course, cost is a consideration. Would like to...
mistervic
Need help designing a front porch pergola
Does anyone know of a virtual tool online and free...
johannasouth
Need help designing front entrance porch.
Bought the custom made front door but did not read...
myentrance
Desperately in need of help with design of a roof for front porch!
I just haven't been able to figure out a good design...
taniaandsarah
Our standing shower
Please give your feedback! When we lay this design...
sushigirl06
New Porch Railings?? - HELP
We recently removed an old front porch from our home...
krose0709
Should I change my doors?
These are the doors in my house. They are scratched...
buthole888
glass tile directly over counter or over solid surface backsplash
We are planning to change our current laminate to a...
Kristie Petry