Peninsula problems
jibemeister
Is there a way to give a peninsula a fresh look.. ie like a different finish from the rest of the cabinets. Similar to what they do with islands but unfortunately I dont have enough space foe an island.
I don't think it is done very often, but here is an example of a peninsula in a kind of cool, eclectic kitchen, using different countertop material and a different finish on the breakfast bar side (but the same finish on the kitchen side).
Capital Hill Kitchen 1
Capital Hill Kitchen 2
January 23, 2013 at 3:27pm   
jibemeister
thanks.. thats exactly the layout I'm dealing with, I'm amazed you found a pic so quick. :) It is a little awkward not having it freestanding.. at the joints etc.. but this give me a good idea. Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out a way of squeezing out a little island but my husband thinks it would be silly small. Another idea I had was to have two different finishes on the upper and lower cabinets.. my big issue is the floors will be pale maple but I really like the look of cream cabinets but I'm worried it'll all look too stark white if I dont somehow encorporate a darker wood or color into it.
January 23, 2013 at 3:38pm   
onthefence
jibe, depending on how much space you have, you might want to consider an Ikea freestanding island. They're really more of a cart but sturdier and larger. They're not big but do give a little extra work space. Our kitchen is too narrow for an island but too wide to have nothing.

We have the Groland which we'll eventually paint or stain. There is also the Stenstorp which is a bit wider.
January 23, 2013 at 3:53pm     
I agree that darker cabinets below and white on top would be another good solution. But my impression is that there are lots of white kitchens with light wood floors that look lovely. Also when I think of pale maple floors and white cabinets I think of beautiful Scandinavian house designs.
Traditional kitchen and addition
Sea Cliff Hideaway
San Francisco Residence
January 23, 2013 at 3:57pm   
jibemeister
Thanks for the Ikea tip "On the fence" I'll check it out and Feeny good point.. our house is definitely more tradtional.. cape cod style.. but also eclectic.. mix of antiques but like to have a contemporary cleaner look too. Thanks for all the great ideas!! I'm a newbie to Houzz.. If I had the room I'd do light cabinets and some kind of free standing distressed wood type island.
January 23, 2013 at 5:15pm   
Jealous of people with 100+ comments, help me??
I can do this for all of you but not for myself. I...
Help with paint colors
Trying to do a wine themed kitchen and dining. Need...
Need help with ideas for hallway
Do you think that for the hallway i could use tile...
Kitchen area - paint color?
We are buying a home with this beautiful addition built...
Help with a bedroom
We just remodeled this bedroom. I love the bedding...