How to finish this indoor garden project?
celiasazevedo
Should I include a small lake or just forget the idea?
Harris Welker Architects
I think the idea of a water element would be very attractive, especially since you would see it when you enter the front entry(?) on the other side of the glass. Add some excitement and fill the bed with recycled colored glass to add sparkle. http://www.krcrock.com/ecom/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71_102 Good Luck!
January 23, 2013 at 4:19pm   
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
I like the idea of a water feature and since it looks like it is ready to go what is the hesitation? A few questions first. Is it open to the sky and will it receive rainfall or is it completely enclosed? Is there drainage and is there soil around the fountain? Is this a new house? What style of decorating is used throughout the house? You may want easy access to the fountain so perhaps a few pots with plants rather than planting in the ground. Choose an art object for the center of the fountain. Add art to the walls. The more information you give us on the project the more suggestions we can give you. It would be a lovely place to grow tropical plants. I hope the only access isn't from that tiny door!
January 23, 2013 at 4:38pm     
celiasazevedo
Thank you for your suggestion! I stopped this project because I want to do something simple,
modern and, chiefly, something that would make me feel good when I enter home. Because would be the first image to look at.
January 23, 2013 at 4:49pm   
Parrish Construction
We have a similar atrium in our own home that we installed a Koi pond in. We had it for 14 years, and we LOVED it, until raccoons ate all the fish and it started to leak. We created a dry "pond" by filling in the existing pond with gravel, planted a Japanese maple, and some bamboo, and I love looking at it year round. The best part is it's considerably less maintenance than the pond was. I still miss the fish.

Any kind of water feature will need regular maintenance to keep it clean. If you're in a cold climate the tile can freeze and crack. The simplest thing you can do is create a xeriscape garden that doesn't require additional water, and won't leak into your house. If you're in a mild climate, you could plant a small tree in a large pot. I don't see any access to the space in the photo so you would want it very low-maintenance. Ours has a sliding glass door to access the area to maintain it, and also provides ventilation. That might be an option for you and I think it might be a good investment. If you decide to plant anything in the space, make sure you don't put soil up past the waterproofing material. See attached photos.
January 23, 2013 at 5:33pm   
celiasazevedo
First of all, thanks for your contribution! This is a modern house, with simple lines and decoration - as you can see in the project attached, localized in Portugal. The only access to the small area, open to the sky, is in fact the tiny door at the corner. The space is prepared to have ilumination and water. I thought to have a nice sculpture in the middle of the water feature and, around, some green. But still, until now I wasn't very sure if is going to work.
January 24, 2013 at 10:38am   
realist23
i suggest a garden with potting soil covered in red mulch completely surrounded by fresh water with koi fish and under water lights
January 24, 2013 at 10:44am   
Gallery of Tile and Stone
What strikes me about this design is the 'infinity pool' idea, where the water comes right up to the lip of the basin. The few thin shapes rising above the surface will give a freshwater lake effect, as grass. A few horsehair ferns around the pool and you have a Zen-like effect of tranquility.
January 24, 2013 at 10:53am   
tallmum
If your only access is through that small door, you shouldn't put in anything that will need ongoing maintenance (like water). Maybe a sculpture? How would you get in there to fix anything?!
January 24, 2013 at 11:07am   
Foundation Armor
I would fill it with water and flowers then surround it with concrete. I would then put some focus on a ceiling piece or wall art. The below example is inspired by Chinese culture, but it is a beautiful example.

Don't forget to seal the pond first to prevent water leakage: http://www.foundationarmor.com/concrete-sealers/.
January 25, 2013 at 9:51am     
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
Foundation Armor ~ Love the picture you sent. Celia~ I agree it would be difficult to plant around the pool and too difficult to maintain. You did state that the area is open to the sky but it would be lovely to have hanging lights or sculptures above the pool or on the walls. Lots of possibilities! You could add a large pot of plants to one or all of the corners. The pots would be easier to maintain. I think it will be a fun project. How is the weather in Portugal? It is very spring like today in California.
January 25, 2013 at 12:10pm   
celiasazevedo
Well, now i'm sure that will be more easier! :-) Thanks! About the weather... a week of rainy and a bit cold, but better days will come!
January 25, 2013 at 2:12pm   
Judit
bamboo and pebbles perhaps?
January 25, 2013 at 3:19pm   
A Rococo to go ~ Hold the Drama...
Bellesum suggested I start a new thread as a result...
Blank White Walls
I just moved into this house. It is small but I love...
Need ideas for entryway
I don't know where to start. I was thinking of using...
how do i put tile around this parquet floor?
Floor is in diningroom surrounded by brick walls and...