Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisehoffman1

I have a very small kitchen at a beach house. I need to make the space seem larger.

denisehoffman1
11 years ago
How can I make the space more functional. I cannot use the left corner of the room because the water heater fits under the cabinets in the left corner next to the stove.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    This looks like an efficient kitchen. Are you able to expand the kitchen in any way?
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Could you be more specific about what you want? What is not working for you?
  • PRO
    Design & Decor By Shelley
    11 years ago
    Without re-designing this whole space, unless that is the advice you are looking for? I would take off a few of the cabinet doors to display dishware. Or if you prefer not to have open cabinets perhaps add glass doors to the uppers. Change the cabinet handles, brushed nickel, chrome, huge assortment of choices.
    Display some nice baskets above the cabinets, to warm this space up..Are you painting or have you just painted?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    It's amazing how much larger it can look if you remove some of the upper cabinet doors. Of course you have to be a neat freak to do that, but if you are, give it a try. I would also remove the valance from the window.
  • robins roost
    11 years ago
    A light gray paint with the above tiles would be pretty and by going monochromatic (all in the same color family) make the room appear larger...use yellow only as accent in towels, etc.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think you should search under Photos in the box above for Tybee Beach House. All white is the direction they've gone. Each space has its own special pop of beachy fun color. - from red to mint, to sky blue. To expand your space, remove the tiles from your table and insert a custom cut piece of glass, or better yet, replace your table with a round glass topped one. The see-through effect will expand the space visually instead of blocking off a big rectangle of roominess.
  • PRO
    Robert Nebolon Architects
    11 years ago
    I don't know what your budget is but I would do the following:
    1. Buy a cabinet-depth refrigerator (24" deep) -Check them out at Sears. Try to get one with a flush overlay so that the ref. door matches the cabinet drs. That will make the room seem wider.
    2. If one is too expensive do this: Many people have an extra ref. in the garage close by enough that a large ref. is not needed in the kitchen, but a small undercounter ref (or two) can can hold the everyday items.
    That might work for you. You could get more counter space and an larger kitchen. Then, you could place a bar peninsula that begins where the current refer. is now. See my sketch.
    2. Get a instant tankless hot water heater and mount it on the exterior of an exterior wall
    3. Get new wall cabs that extend up to the ceiling--that will stretch the room vertically.
    4. Get a full splash.
    5. It looks like your kitchen sink cabinet might be wider than the standard 24". If it is wider, then change it to a standard 24" width.
    6. Check out the small kitchen I did in my Hermosa Beach House album.
    If you can use a smaller under cabinet ref, that can open up many possibilities.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Here's the sketch...
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    are you wanting a major improvement of an easy fix?

by adding a hanging rack at the window one could use as a pot rack, and store items above. It seems to be as functional as possible at this point,
  • jansgirl
    11 years ago
    Any response/more info Denise?
  • denisehoffman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas; most of them won't work-no garage, pot rack over the window to view, etc.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I suggest one undercounter ref. and undercounter freezer, next to each other. Keep water htr. in the corner; do bar peninsula.
  • PRO
    SDG | Schlosser Design Group, LLC.
    11 years ago
    I recommend a counter depth refrigerator/freezer. Raise the cabinets to the ceiling or add light above the cabinets. This will open up your space. I'd paint the walls the same color as the cabinets if you don't build them up. Lighting under the cabinets emphasizes the space.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    is this a rental of your home and do you have a budgeted amount you are wanting to spend
  • bygeorgi
    11 years ago
    Continue the back splash or do an all new one... set the fridge back into the wall, open up upper cabinetry , and add a crown molding to the top....stick to one accent color, I'd pull from the back splash for that and paint the kitchen a pale shade of it. Looks pretty spacious to me already. Its big with wonderful natural light. Feels happy.
  • PRO
    SPS-Interiors
    11 years ago
    Hello. I am guessing these cabinets are fairly old and worn. From the pictures it looks like both of the corners aren't the best of storage. Do you have a pantry anywhere or would you want one? I like the straight lines of your trim and a mission style cabinet would look great in here. The idea of glass door upper cabinets is a great idea and if you want you can use obscure glass but still get an airier affect. Glass tile backsplash would work well also and keep it casual. If I were to guesstimate a complete redo for you it would be about $13,000 if you don't do the work yourself. I would be happy to draw up some plans for you if this is something that would help.
  • putter2
    11 years ago
    I saw a great FL kitchen that was small like yours, and the backsplash all around was mirrored. Looked fabulous and opened up the space. The yellow may be too harsh, also......a icy blue would expand the space.....
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    9 years ago
    If I can be of any help to you please let me know how! Susan