Please suggest an accent color(s) and ideas for final touches!
mayamaya1
I am styling our great room. We have deep brown leather couches and deep brown blinds with beige decorative tape. We just painted the room Benjamin Moore Silvermist (it is sold as a grey, but it has very heavy blue undertones...more like a light blue). And we just got this rug (picture attached). The rug is quite neutral. It is mainly beige and sage, with brown and grey accents. I'll be adding off-white curtains in the room to soften the dark wood blinds. And now I need help with final touches. I'll need to decorate the mantle, including possibly a mirror for above the fireplace. And I'll need throw pillows and throws. And we'll need a table lamp and a new lighting fixture. It's practically a blank slate. Although I am aiming for a serene and cozy feel, I'm wondering how I should accessorize. Add in a color? If so, what color would go without being too crazy (like I said, I want to stay serene and cozy). Your thoughts are so appreciated!
Aja Mazin
Lovely rug!
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 3:53PM
mayamaya1
Thanks! I got it for a steal, too : )
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 3:54PM
elklaker
I would incorporate the green. Beautiful rug. It sounds like you will end up with a gorgeous room.
Please post some "after" pics.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:55PM
Judith Taylor Designs
I like the quiet colours in your rug. It would help if you would upload photos of your room, and your fireplace wall so we get a better sense of style.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 3:55PM
Any pics of the space and furnishings so we can better help?
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:55PM
mayamaya1
Thanks, everyone. Here are a couple of pictures. The fireplace is a corner fireplace. The wall perpendicular to the wall shown also has 2 large windows. So basically two of the walls are covered with windows. Apologies for the bad picture...its raining here and lighting is not great. I could also use suggestions on coffee table and side tables. Oh, and the rug now sits on top of the carpet, though hardwood floors are in our longer term plans.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 4:09PM
mayamaya1
Keep the ideas coming! Really appreciate your help. Much help needed on this space : )
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 4:56PM
Manon Floreat
I would stay with the sage and blue for a serene feeling. You could consider mercury glass or some other reflective material for table lamps. I think that paired with a mirror above the fireplace would be a nice way to add a little sparkle to the room. Below is a rough and tumble collage I put together of possible additions to what you currently have. Its a bit hard to tell from the photos, but I'm thinking a curtain color in a natural linen might be better than the off white. Something to think about, anyhow.
4 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 5:37PM
Aja Mazin
I think a natural linen would work better with your rug.

As for the coffee table, this has worked for me, my brown camel back sofa, loveseat, etc., and numerous
Persian rugs.

[Persian rugs or Oriental style rugs seldom have "white" wool woven in them; it is usually reserved for wedding rugs.]
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 6:29PM
mayamaya1
Great ideas! So you guys don't think that natural linen would be too drab? Especially when up against dark wood blinds? I thought off-white b/c it matches the trim and might brighten the space. But I am obviously posting on here for suggestions. Manon Floreat and Aja Mazin, where are the coffee tables from? Both are great options! Manon Floreat, thank you so much for the mood board!
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 6:50PM
Aja Mazin
My coffee table and 3 end tables were originally from the Bombay Bay Trading Co.

However, my mom purchased them at a yard sale for $50, total. The beveled glass is 3/8"
and the frames are "heavy" metal.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:00PM
mayamaya1
Thanks! And what a great deal : )
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 7:11PM
Manon Floreat
The glass top of Aja's table will lighten the room and allow you to see your new rug better. I think something like that would be a good choice. The one I showed is from Rsetoration Hardware and has more of a rustice/reclaimed feel. Another option is the Clairemont coffee table from Crate and Barrel. It's got a nice classic shape.

Regarding the curtains - I recommend you try both off white and natural linen. Return the ones you don't like. It's hard to tell from the photos which will be best. But less contrast is generally a good choice for a serene feel.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 7:40PM
Aja Mazin
And I feel white linen would be stick out like a "sore thumb"
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:41PM
mayamaya1
Thanks! Love the Clairemont!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:41PM
Manon Floreat
Good! I'm glad you like it.

I agree Aja, white linen would be no-no considering the other elements of the room. Off-white may work, but we'd have to see.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 7:44PM
Manon Floreat
I just had another thought regarding the curtains. Since the tape of your blinds is beige, perhaps let that guide your curtain color selection.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 7:45PM
mayamaya1
Speaking of curtains, does anyone have recommendations for where to get reasonably priced rods with a corner piece so that one rod goes all the way around the corner? And what kind of rods would you get? And where would you place the rods? As far up as possible or just above the window?

I think i will just have to try off white, natural linen and a beige that picks up on the tape to see. But, I'm not thrilled about adding in more beige. Though the room is certainly neutral, I'm itching to add elements other than beige.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:52PM
Manon Floreat
IKEA, JC Penney and Bed Bath and Beyond have the corner curtain rod connectors and rods.
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/hardware/linden-street%25e2%2584%25a2-curtain-rod-corner-connector/prod.jump?ppId=193343b

Regarding placement of the rods - how high are your ceilings and do you have crown moulding? Typically if you want your ceilings to appear higher than they are, mount the curtains as close to the ceiling as possible and let the panels graze the floor. If you've got high ceilings, you can play a bit with their positioning.

Yes, get an armful of curtains and see which you like best! Don't forget that pillows, throws and art are also great ways to add more color. Here's one of my favorite artists who does serene just beautifully. Her name is Linda Donahue and she's here on Houzz.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:22PM
mayamaya1
We have 9 foot ceilings and no crown molding.

Thanks for the artist recommendation! Her works looks great.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:08AM
Aja Mazin
Pillows and a throw will add any needed colour!

The result will be elegantly sophisticated.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:21AM
sunnydrew
Your room is going to be beautiful. I looked at your idea book for your inspirational ideas. If you have a store like pier 1 or home goods, you can go pick up a few assorted toss pillows or throws and even the above mentioned mercury glass accessories and bring them home to see what strikes you. If you do that a couple times, keep what you like and return the rest, you will start pulling it all together. Most times those stores are happy to help you, because they know you will end up keeping something. I just got a new spring catalog from Pier 1 and there are some very neat things that might work for you, in the pale blues and sage colors..
0 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 7:51AM
Finishing touches/accent color, any ideas?
I just did a remodel of our family room. We completely...
Before & Afters...Suggestions for final touches
It's only been 4 weeks and a lot of work still needed...
Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?
Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning...
Any ideas for final touches to this living room? I...
Please, Help add final touches to my basement space!
I'm in the final stages of my project and though I've...
need an inexpensive way to create a fort
I have a 6 yr old boy, my baby ( the youngest of 5...
Dining Room Dilemma
Dear Houzzers, I don't like the choices I made in our...
what should i do with the panelling?
we are replacing all trim with white wood and six panel...
Help w/staining a coffee table
Hi there - I have a black coffee table that I want...
Urgent Please Help : Cream Tile or White Tile
I need to decide shower tile color and countertop color...