Some bathroom storage ideas?
Michelle Wilson
Hi everybody! First off, I'm new here and clueless about decorating and remodeling. But I do have a strong creative side that allows me to think outside the box. Anyway, we just bought this house and I'm stumped on the bathroom. It's got this mix of traditional and modern that I love but the bathroom has NO storage! No built-ins, nothing. The shelves behind the tub could be utilized but who wants to display all of their stuff like that? I consider them purely decorative, maybe good for folded towels. I'd prefer to not close up that area by building cabinets there. It gives a feeling of openness, imo. I feel like the only option I have is the sink console. I don't like how open it is. There's no storage space. I don't like storage baskets underneath and I'm not crazy about the polished chrome legs. But the countertop is so pretty though, as are the fixtures, so I'd like to avoid replacing the console entirely. Thoughts? Ideas?

Apologies for the bad photos. If any other info is needed, I can provide it as best I can. Where I'm standing in the first pic is where the doors are. Thanks in advance!
KL InIdaho
I like it the way it is. Using the baskets under the sinks hides a lot. Your bathroom is very pretty and fresh looking. Now I need to go clean out my cluttered bathrooms,lol.
January 24, 2013 at 4:34pm     
Judith Taylor Designs
It certainly sounds like you have a solution. You don't really like the console/vanity but like the top and the fixtures... and I agree you have a mix of two styles. If you replace d the vanity with a closed piece the room would come together better as this is the stand out piece. Stay with something simple as you already have a lot going on.
January 24, 2013 at 4:36pm   
Michelle Wilson
@KL- Ha!! Thank you! I suppose the legs aren't that bad. They also match (and therefore, help disguise) the pipes underneath. My main problem with storage baskets is that I don't really like bending down to get items I use daily. I'm getting old and my back can;t really do that anymore. Ha!!
January 24, 2013 at 4:40pm   
Michelle Wilson
Hmm, wondering if its possible to replace just the base of the console??
January 24, 2013 at 4:42pm   
Very nice bathroom! It looks spacious. Is it wide enough to put a small "furniture" piece for storage?
I can see your creative side getting a bedside table or small dresser and paint it and be a feature in the space.

January 24, 2013 at 4:45pm   
KL InIdaho
I'm sure you can replace the base, but you are still going to have to bend down. The other alternative is to put cabinets with mirrors on the doors for over the sink storage, and that will change the clean lines of the mirrors over the sink area, but, you will have your items without bending down.
January 24, 2013 at 4:47pm   
Judy M
are the mirrors just mirrors or are they medicine cabinets, too? If they are just mirror's replacing them with mirrored medicine cabinets would increase storage.
January 24, 2013 at 4:49pm   
Michelle Wilson
@Darzy- Aww I like that but unfortunately no. In the first pic, there's a break in the morror so it's hard to see but on that back wall, there's already a small accent stand between the toilet and the open shelves. Next to the toilet on the other side is the shower which is in the corner, so there's no more wall space.
January 24, 2013 at 4:49pm   
Michelle Wilson
Judy- Those mirrors are not medicine cabinets but how cool would that be if they were! I'd be able to hide all my toiletries, hair junk, a small body...only problem with that is that I can't/won't cut into the tile to make the cabinets flush and if I just mounted some cabinets there, they would hang over the fixtures. Since the console doesn't have a backsplash, there's only a few inches between the fixtures and the wall.
January 24, 2013 at 4:55pm   
Judy M
any room for this type?

Or a small recessed one with no mirror on the wall to the left of the left side sink?
January 24, 2013 at 5:05pm     
You could a two sliding door gift boxes and put under the sink. Not sure what colors they come in. But, at a big box wine store they will sell you wooden wine boxes (with sliding lids) really cheap -$5. You can paint them any color, and even add small stainless roller/wheels on the bottom if your wanted.

January 24, 2013 at 5:07pm   
Michelle Wilson
*gasp* Judy I love your idea. The walls on both sides of the console could accommodate something like that. I really think if I cut into the wall to install recessed med cabinets on both sides, maybe the added mirrors would accentuate the openess even more? Thank you!!

Darzy- I love your idea as well! I think wine boxes would add a nice natural accent to the room, would be an interesting piece to have in there and the wheels would make them more accessible.

Thank you to everyone! I appreciate your input :)
January 24, 2013 at 5:51pm     
Judy M
A complete remodel of bathroom will begin very soon after a lot of planning and I concentrated on storage, that's what I needed more of. But who doesn't? :)
January 24, 2013 at 5:55pm   
I need some ideas for jewelry storage.....a lot of jewelry!!!
I have a lot of costume jewelry necklaces that I need...
Bathroom sink storage ideas
Looking for a sink unit/cupboard for this roca sink...
ideas for storage in a small bathroom
We are remodeling our small bathroom. Single shower...
Storage ideas for 3 piece bathroom above toilet?
We are looking to add storage in a 3 piece bathroom...
Bathroom storage ideas? Chest of drawers?
Hi - I have a small bathroom in my Manhattan apartment....
Renovating multifamily house
We are buying a multifamily house that needs a lot...
Bathroom Design Help
Hi guys. We're renovating an old house and are having...
Your best advice to keep slugs at bay
Few things are as annoying as slugs. They're a gardener's...
Covered patio flooring
My mothers mobile home has a covered porch with outdoor...
hardwood floor finishing for the kitchen: oil or polyurethane?
Please give me advice what kind of hardwood floor finish...