need help with chairs please
nal caan
hi, i hate these chairs and i can't sell them cause my hubby loves them and i trird to convince him, but no luck, so is there anything i can do to make them look different or something... thanks
RM Contracting
Slipcover or reupholster them red. Add some color to the window treatments. This room needs some color. A bold print on the wall would help too.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 8:22PM
Hannah Gould
is there a reason you dont like them? too neutral: recover in fun fabric, too modern: add a slipcover, too plain: put a fun fabric only on the back or maybe add something to the middle of that empty square (lace, recessed wood art)
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 8:29PM
LB Interiors
The chairs are an interesting contemporary design. Find a contemporay printed carpet you like and choose colors for the room as your beginning point. Carpet should be at least 8' x 10'. The chair legs should completly rest on the carpet.

I would paint the chairs' wood legs in the cream color or a brighter warm color that you want to add to the room. Colorful artwork for the wall. Color on the table and possibly paint the room with a warm color. Drapes are mounted too high, they should hang 1" from the floor. If they will still be too short, add a band of fabric, of a contrasting color to the hem at the bottom.

5 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:06PM
designideas4me
You can make a secret hiding place for candy or late nite treats in the middle.
4 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:20PM
yvonnecmartin
I'd like them better if they didn't match the wall. Have you considered painting the walls or the one wall with no door or window?
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 10:03PM
Peg Silverwood
Layer a tailored piece of fabric over the backs of the chairs in a pattern that suits your style. If you sew you can do it yourself. If not measure it and take it to a tailor who will be able to whip it out for you. Coordinate it with a runner and/or place mats. Make sure the chair runners length end at the break of the chair seat on each side.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:13PM
shabnem
I have very similar chairs :) I chose them specifically because of the visual interest I thought they brought to my dining table. Perhaps you can draw attention away from them with a bold patterned rug under the table and/or an interesting piece of art on the wall behind it. Also agree, you can add some printed drapes to the window behind it, just be bold with print and color. This will all add more visual interest, drawing the eye away from the chairs.
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:34PM
Jean Tuck
Many times I see chair covers used for keeping area looking eleghant and this could do the trick by adding somethink in the same desifn you prefer for the drapes you would use for the window.and for easy floor cleaning you want those chair covers hemmed to be 2 inches at least off the floor, its been my experience this is best. brass fittings either side of doors to hold curtains back in daytime is a sort of bling for your decor.
A plant in corner too. Im a plant lover especially if easycare orspmetimes if your working alot silk plants can be just as nice.Maybe family gathering large photo on bare wall along side of table or other large photo of a trip picture.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:58PM
2dogssashatess
The holes in the backs of the chairs are pretty weird so I would use slipcovers
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:05PM
designideas4me
Hey check out this beautiful room...................
8 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:10PM
designideas4me
Just tie it in with the rest of the house.............. maybe repete the pattern on the wall or somewhere.

5 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:12PM
timberskunk
I would paint the legs of the chair, paint the walls and add artwork. The chairs are not bad its everything around them that is so dull I like the photos of the same chairs in a different setting. I like the black and white idea, a table runner, area rug etc, stop hating the chairs and start getting creative to accent the chairs atmosphere. good luck.
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:25PM
onthefence
I really like the chairs. I agree with those who suggest adding color to the room. Love that area rug that LB interiors posted.

Do you know why your hubby loves the chairs? Are they particularly comfy or is it the design that he likes?
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 11:25PM
FurnitureNYC
Sorry.. but I don't like your chairs too. I would suggest these http://www.furniturenyc.net/product/chemistry-white-chair-set-of-two-creative
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:02AM
David Snyder
Get a new husband!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:10AM
michigammemom
I don't mind your chairs, but your modern looking dining set does not relate to the scrolled traditional light fixture. I would suggest a simple drum shade fixture.
4 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:38AM
nancymic
What is your style like and what don't you like about the chairs and the room? Is it the actual chair or some combination? Is it the hole? Knowing this would help with ideas... Also, getting a new husband is harder than reupholstering. I'm trying both right now so I know:)
4 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:24AM
sluggodog
I actually really like the chairs. Don't know if this was mentioned..could you perhaps keep the leather chairs on the side, then buy 2 new bigger fabric chairs just for the ends? It would break up the chairs as there are so many of them. You can add some colour with the end chairs..
3 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:38AM
Budget Blinds
Area rug and window treatments? We have it all.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 10:40AM
Melanie Hon
You have a lovely house! Nice kitchen and the furniture is nice too. You just need to define the dining room space a little more, it's all just blending in a little too much. If the walls allow, maybe paint just the dining room a dark colour, add a large mirror on the blank wall that would show off your lighting fixture, add some drapes and maybe a rug too. I also agree with the poster who said you need a plant in the corner, just to bring life to the space. I think I'd go with a red in the dining room, that should go well with your dark cabinets and the chair and you can go with silver or black accents.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 11:16AM
LB Interiors
Great dining room. Place a sideboard/buffet on wall. Storage for all the dining linens. Art above buffet or round gorgeous mirror. May not need the lamps in this photo. Love this room. I love the photo below but I would add some dark tones to tie in your dark table and light colored floor.

2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:25AM
LB Interiors
Sorry to Melanie, when I clicked submit, your idea came up re: mirror. Guess we were envisioning the same idea.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:27AM
Karen McKown
What don't you like about them? I don't care for them either, but the solution depends on what your problem is with them, not mine. I agree with everyone else that they would look better if you change your room a little- artwork, color, curtains.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 11:27AM
tennisanyone
I like your chairs but right now that is all you are focusing on because the room needs color, carpet and art. Just try that small carpet by the sink under the leg of the table and see if that makes a difference in how you view the chairs and then you can shop for a bigger carpet.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:52AM
LB Interiors
I would buy a buffet in any color other than dark. Choose something that works with the other colors in the room. A mirrored buffet woud be elegant but maybe too dressy for you. Just add sparkle or mercury glass, anything shiny and maybe shiny colored items on the dining table. Or a painted buffet in the primary accent most-liked color that you choose for the space. Maybe one that is a light color and spray paint the chosen accent color.
Worlds Away 3 Piece Mirrored Buffet - White Lacquer Amelie Mirrored Console
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 6:11PM
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i'm sure you can find an upholster in your area. here is my suggestion - he has to fill the openings with a thick piece of firm foam then cover all the back with a layer of cushion dacron wrap ( to make it look and feel smooth and reupholster with the new fabric of you choice! will not cost too much and voila - you have new chairs. i did it for my clients,they were very happy! but don't do the whole chair- just the back suuport , you can mix the fabric, you even can do 4 in one pattern and 4 of them in another(or 2 and 6)
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:02PM
collettec
I think with the light neutral chairs and all the dark wood with the table and kitchen cabinets, you need some artwork with more of a modern style and sensibility and in bold colors, nothing too light. I would then use one of the bold colors from the art for floor to ceiling drapes.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:10PM
Creations Nadia Interior Design
here are some samples from Robert Allen cllection
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:11PM
pinkatbay
The chairs are fun. Are they uncomfortable? Add some color on the walls with art and/or wall paper. Try framing a piece of Kuba cloth and mounting it on the wall. Consider a carpet with a bold pattern and a bright center piece for the table.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:20PM
apennameandthata
You have to tell yourself/us what it is that you don't like about them. Otherwise ppl here will be no help. You have got lots of clever people to give you answers but they don't know what the question is.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:46PM
LB Interiors
What are the chances for that happening again? There are other alternatives as well. You know your kids best.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:30PM
apennameandthata
Well, do you dislike the hole in the middle, the colour, the texture, the visual weight, the lack of decoration, that they match the wall, that they are beige, that they are square, that it looks like there is nowhere to put your bottom, that they touch each other when you put them in, that they look like they will tip over backwards, that they are not of any recognisable style, that the trim looks uneven from behind, that they are too smooth, that they make your house look bland, that the top reciprocates lack of cornice above them, that the wood is too dark? Or, maybe you wish they were more pink looking?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 1:52AM
LB Interiors
Thanks Franca for appreciating my ideas. You're doing great. Choose furnishings, styles, artwork, colors, fabrics and accessories that you love. You will always be happy you did!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 12:01PM
Interiors International, Inc.
I'm on your husbands side the chairs are nice. You could add a panel in the hole. It could be metal, upholstered or even wood. It will completely change the look.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 7:01PM
GEE Contracting and Development
I do not like these chairs either. The back looks uncomfortable move them to different areas of the house, to each bathroom at a dressing table, recover for each bedroom, makeup station or desk (even in your husband's office.) Pretty soon you will have no matching chairs before your husband notices you will need new dining room chairs that you love!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 7:13PM
minemine
I actually really like the chairs. I think they are visually interesting. However the space does lack color. I think if you changed the wall color, put up some art and did a different window treatment it would make a big difference. Since the space is so neutral, I think you have alot of options for colors. Browse the rooms here on Houzz for inspiration.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 7:13PM
Elizabeth Shutters
Maybe it isn't the chairs themselves but just that you have so many of them. I would pull a couple away from the table. Maybe you could put them against the wall under the window? Also you could soften the overall look of the room and pull attention away from them with a beautiful window treatment. Find a fabric you love and make a soft roman shade or even a valance to bring some color and texture into the room. Right now it's all hard surfaces. Window treatments and a rug will help!
www.3dayblinds.com/linda-williams
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:15PM
debwalwer
I love the suggestions from LB Interiors, especially the Orchard Lake Residence. It looks to me as if you are almost there ... A plush woven rug in a neutral color in a shade close to the wall color will add texture. A beautiful drape hung closer to the floor or puddled would add elegance, maybe a neutral stripe. I agree that the chairs will would work well and you would grow to love them if the other elements of the room were changed to complement them :)
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:32AM
sguest35
I agree with 3 day blinds, take a few away if possible. The look is overwhelming. And repeat the rectangle pattern some where else, like in the mirror that was displayed earlier by Melanie Hon.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:39AM
Melanie Hon
I was playing around with your photos in photoshop, and wanted to give you a visual of what a colour change could do.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 3:54PM
designideas4me
was that easy to make in photoshop? You know I just asked how I can get a more specific ( actual cabinets that I am considering) layout of a kitchen and I wanted to ask you if photoshop will work for that? What I mean is I want the actual cabinets and not a basic blueprint drawing. Can I do that in photoshop using a blueprint? whay dont kitchen designers give that to me when i ask? ideas?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:27PM
designideas4me
LB Interiors

I was looking at the chandilier in the pic you posted. Dont you think its toooooooooo small for that table?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:28PM
Melanie Hon
@designideas4me - what you want would be difficult to photoshop. What I've done is select the white walls and then paint them. After that I had to find pictures with the correct dead-on angle (the mirror and the plant) and then layer them into the photo. I could not put a rug or a sideboard because I would need the sideboard picture to be at the correct angle, and pictures of rugs are usually rectangular and would not look right under the table. There may be a way to do it, but I don't know how.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:00PM
LB Interiors
Chandelier ... It definately keeps the room pared down. Looks skimpy. Personally I would like more of a statementt. Rectangle is good, but wider.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:25PM
grandlady
perhaps a wrought iron medallion in the opening .
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 8:02PM
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend removing that sheer and putting up Ripplefold sheers instead it will give you more of a finished look.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/sheer-drapery.html
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:31AM
I need help, with chair colors. PLEASE. White or dark chairs?
Distressed white or the distressed oak? The distressed...
Need help with kitchen chairs please!
We redid our kitchen recently from whitewash cabinets...
Please help - need ideas for replacing my kitchen chairs
We are getting rid of the hard, uncomfortable wood...
Need help choosing chair fabric please:)
Here's our dining area...it's open with the living...
What do you think of this for a wood hood?
Doing Conestoga cabinets and really not fond of any...
Need help with red lacquer chest and gray fireplace
Trying to decorate my living room while working with...
Serious issues in 1937 kitchen
This kitchen is in a rental. I spent all my budget...
need help for home decor
my house dimension are 15 x 60
What flooring to use?
We have had a living room added onto our house...will...