Help needed with furniture and paint colors for living room
cmcole1121
I am working on decorating my living room in new home and have some questions on furniture placement and paint colors. The room is long and narrow with a fireplace and windows on 1 wall and no overhead lights. It will need many lamps to get enough light. It is also a room we will need to walk through to get to a tv room. Attached is a pic of most of the room ( with temp furniture). Also attached are pics of the couch and chairs we've already bought (crate and barrel Aidan sofa in nickel and tux chair in ebony leather). Any suggestions for paint color as well as furniture placement in this room (coffee tables, rugs, etc). Was thinking revere pewter (BM) for walls as the sofa is a grayish black color ( very neutral). Any help would be great!
shabnem
I would add a large mirror over the fireplace to make the space appear brighter, as you mention there is little light in the room. You might also consider wall sconces flanking the mirror. Love your furniture choices, seems metallics are really popular right now. If you intend on keeping the dark wall with the fireplace, I suggest using very light walls on the rest of the room. Since you mention you must walk through this room to the TV room, I would open up the placement of furniture. If you place a sofa table behind the large sofa, you can eliminate the need for a center table. You can place the armchair you purchased with it's back to the fireplace wall and leave a clear path through the middle of the room to walk through. A patterned rug and drapes would also look nice in here. Good luck!
January 24, 2013 at 10:40pm   
cmcole1121
Thank you. I have attached 2 better photos of the space (with natural light and to see whole room). Thank you for yor comments - no we will not be keeping the dark accent wall - want to paint whole room same neutral color - any recommendations? also, the sofa we bought is beautiful although it isn't as shiny in person - more of a textured grey color. thanks for your thoughts already. any others are welcome.
January 25, 2013 at 9:22am   
Try a gray that is a few shades lighter than your sofa. Have you selected an area rug yet? Check out homedecorators.com where the ones below are. Make sure you get one large enough for your sofa to sit on completely. I think you should add a pair of accent chairs flanking the FP. They will add some pattern and an accent color.
Armless Upholstered Slipper Accent Chair, Grey & Gold Ikat
Bailey Accent Chair, Linx
January 25, 2013 at 10:53am   
Need help with living room furniture arrangement and paint color
Would love to rearrange the furniture and paint the...
Need color help for dining room/living room with teak furniture
Is there a gray and maybe an accent wall color that...
Need help with my condo living/dining room area- furniture and paint??
I have a 2 bedroom condo overlooking a lake in a major...
After Remodeling a Kitchen, How to Decorate It?
Hi ya'll. After remodeling a kitchen, of course the...
Should I replace the cabinets?
I bought a house from the 60s. Wallpaper, shag carpet,...
Which polyurethane finish for dark oak cabinets
What is the most appropriate poly finish for dark oak...
Teeny tiny bath needs an easy backsplash - HELP!
Hi guys - need the advice of some Houzzers. We recently...
Are you a big fan of glamping or camping?
I'm not a camping fan at all. I can't stand not knowing...