Help house exterior update needed
sami0288
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just bought this house and the outside is in need of a lot of work. This color of brick has been a design nightmare for me. I really don't want to paint the brick because we will selling this house in a few years. What color of shutters would go with this house, style? I want to tone the brown down and a color that will help make this house look prettier? The gutters and drain spots are currenly an ugly brown, would they look better white? I need colors? Maybe a new door color or different door? we will be replacing the exterior lights too, ideas? We will be replacing the columns too, style?How would you give this house curb appeal? Type of landscaping? I welcome all suggestions. Thanks for your help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Natalie DeNormandie
I see this kind of problem a lot - the good news is, it is easily solved!! The mottled brick can be lovely BEHIND a screen of multi-stemmed trees. Picture a mini forest that you look out to, and that forms a scrim in front of your home. I would darken the paint on the fascia, not as dark as the window trim and door but maybe a gunmetal grey or something that plays off the warmth of the brick. The downspouts should also be painted to blend. I don't mind the door color but the yellow is needing some freshening - look at both cool grays and the orangey/taupey colors of the brick in the natural light against the brick. When the colors sing, you'll see it! Don't go white!! That will be a much worse nightmare with this warm brick. Switching out your light sconces will make a big difference too - look for heftier styles with 'dark sky' rating - they will throw the light down and be less glaring, softer. Back to the landscaping, using multiple trees with multi-stems, you will get better results ecologically if you replace the lawn with swaths of at least four different groundcovers, or meadow species that get mown only 1-2 x a year. I highly recommend keeping plants AWAY from the foundation of the house - avoid that 'turtleneck' look and let the house float in a pulled back, fully integrated landscape that takes up the space more fully. The columns would look great with a vine growing up. There are fastening systems that work really well - basically aircraft cable and eye-hooks. Good Luck!!
January 25, 2013 at 11:17am