Color Ideas to Compliment Fireplace
Andrea Kinsman
We have a gorgeous two story fireplace but don't like the current yellow paint. We're looking for suggestions...maybe one color on the fireplace wall and a neutral color for the remaining walls?
Thank you!
movenready properties, LLC
I think the problem is that this color has too much yellow in it. Choose a color that you like in the stone, maybe a light brown and paint the fireplace wall in that. Than go a shade lighter on the other walls.
January 25, 2013 at 2:06PM     
Andrea Kinsman
I agree, it's even more yellow in person than in this picture! Is there a specific brown, taupe or grey that you recommend? Either for the main wall and/or for the others?
January 25, 2013 at 2:37PM   
anitajoyce
A nice grey, blue grey or tan would be nice as an accent wall color, along with a lighter shade of the same color for the other walls. Lovely fireplace. These are all great neutral colors.
January 25, 2013 at 2:58PM   
wmpj
It's difficult to give you an exact color/shade to go with without being in the room. I suggest you either go to the paint store and buy a paint deck or bring home several samples so you can find a color that goes with the stone and see how it looks in your room. Benjamin Moore sells their paint decks for around $20 or so. I have three of them and they are very handy to have around.
January 25, 2013 at 3:49PM   
HI -- A good color that is never wrong Behr paint "Antique White " which is making a huge comeback .
January 25, 2013 at 4:22PM   
Crestview Homes,LLC
Your fireplace is indeed beautiful. Whatever color you decide on, I would suggest that the windows be painted the same: The white trim on the window frames contrasting with the wall color - too much activity in a tight space. A dark rich brown ( similar to your sofa) would look terrific with that stone. You could use a sanded or suede finish paint for texture and depth.The brown would look great with your carpet. SConsider paint8nbg the baseboard on that wall to blend as well..
January 25, 2013 at 4:42PM   
Judy M
check out Benjamin Moore "Hot Stone springs". I have used it at the full formula and and 1/2 formula, which might work for your idea of two tones of paint. Personally, I like the white woodwork and baseboards.
January 25, 2013 at 4:48PM   
Jennifer Hogan
I am actually thinking that the sage green (Devine Color - Moss) that is showing on the left side of this picture might work well. A neutral "color" vs. all neutral.

If you want to stay with the absolute neutrals the other color is Devine Latte, but I would suggest getting a couple of pallet pages from Devine Color - Espresso Blends, Pebbles and Creams, and Pacific Trail Mix. For $15 you will have 36 colors that you can experiment with. When you find a couple you like you can order paint pages (8 1/2 x 11).

The Devine Trend Proof Pallets are all colors that are muted, so they blend beautifully with wood and stone and natural surfaces. The number of colors isn't overwhelming and I always seem to find the perfect shade.

All of the Devine samples - pallet pages and sprayed pages are actual paint, not colored paper. Makes a world of difference when picking a color.
Moss is in the Cool Grasses and Evergreens pallet - I would order an 8 1/2 x 11 of that rather than order the whole page, as I don't think any of the other colors on that pallet would work in your room.
http://www.devinecolor.com/devine/colorcollections/trend-proof.jsp
January 25, 2013 at 5:32PM   
movenready properties, LLC
I think you want to avoid going too dark next to the dark brick. Another idea would be to use a nice light brown on that wall and a chocolate brown on the other walls.
January 25, 2013 at 5:33PM   
Jennifer Hogan
I also love testing the colors by setting the pages around the room and living with each color for a couple of days, moving it around, seeing how I like it at different times of the day, back in a dark corner and beside the window. No splotches on my walls till I am ready to paint.
January 25, 2013 at 5:35PM   
Need Suggestions, Please!
I am looking to purchase an area rug for this family...
Paint first or decorate first?
My dilemma is, do I paint now when my painter can fit...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
wood and parquet flooring care and cleaning
Can and how do you remove stains from hardwood and...
Neep help to redesign a small living room opens to a golf course
Me and my boy friend just brought a small condo right...