When painted crown molding meets wood finish crown?
missroon
How do you link two different finishes on crown molding? We are building beautiful cabinets floor to ceiling;they will remain wood tone. They will be trimmed with crown at the ceiling. I would like to have white painted crown every where the crown molding touches the painted wall. Any ideas how to make the two contrasting colors transition?
It's acceptable to use different finishes since they are not the same design elements.

January 25, 2013 at 4:48pm     
Barbra Bright Design
As usual, Dytecture is right on. I love the fact that he always seems to find the perfect photo to make his point!
January 25, 2013 at 5:06pm     
arleanking
Sorry to intrude on someone else's question, but I have a similar question but it has to do with stained window trim and painted crown. My problem is that I have a double tray ceiling which doesn't give me enough room to put trim on the top of the window and crown on the ceiling. Therefore, I have to build the top of the window up so the crown will go along the top of the window. I would rather keep my crown painted so, if I go with stained trim how can I tie in the crown along the top of the window if the crown is painted? I'm looking to make my trim on the windows to look like pillars. If I bring the trim out maybe 4 or 5 inches and have the crown in that section built out as well, would I get away with it being stained along the top of the window? I don't know if I'm making any sense in how I'm saying this. I know what I'm saying, but I'm not sure if anyone else does. LOL. The reason I would like to make this work is I want stained interior doors and would like to have my trim and baseboard stained as well but I would like to have painted crown. I've looked at loads of photos but can't find anything like this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I think the stained cabinets and painted crown looks fine.
January 25, 2013 at 5:38pm   
Ironwood Builders
I responded, I think to your question on another forum....I agree with Dytecture that you can do the transition between separate architectural elements...So if you make each window a separate architectural element...it could work. But I think it is a stretch, see the photos attached...strong window treatment, could be a separate element..but wants to be a cohesive unit.
January 25, 2013 at 5:54pm   
arleanking
I know. Just hoping someone would agree with me;-). I have alot of windows so I'm starting to think it may get to be too much anyway. I really appreciate your expertise. This is a new build so I'm sure I will have other questions along the way.
January 25, 2013 at 6:06pm     
missroon
To Dytecture - I have studied the image you posted regarding the blending of wood crown with painted. It appears in this photo that the crown on the cabinet has been "beefed up" with more trim molding so it looks different from the crown that is on the wall. Is that an accurate assessment of why this crown treatment doesn't look too strange when the two finishes meet?
January 27, 2013 at 2:16pm