Desperate for ideas for new exterior
rebratka
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This house is in desperate need of a makeover! We have had a few architects come by, but we have not really nailed the design. This house has 2 BR on the main level and 2 BR on the top level. At the peak of the house, 2 stories above the garage is a decent size unfinished attic.

In addition to curb appeal, we are looking for more light and space upstairs. We have contemplated adding a shed dormer over the living room window. Basically, we are stuck! Any design ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Keep working on it! Look to some local design professionals on houzz!
January 25, 2013 at 7:35pm   
rebratka
Here is one of the ideas for a redo. I think it is rather boring! What do you guys think?
January 25, 2013 at 7:36pm   
pud07
We had an all siding house. We just added faux stone to ours and have really enjoyed the texture changes you might consider adding brick or stone. I think some sort of gray stacked stone would be beautiful. Changing shutters can make a change as well. We changed ours to black after this photo was taken . Good luck
January 25, 2013 at 7:39pm     
mmilos
Shed dormer would look good and add light.
I would say keep looking for an architect that gets your vibe and needs.

You could open up the attic space above the garage and create a vaulted ceiling master suite with large picture window...?

Think your house looks good from the curb.
January 25, 2013 at 7:40pm     
rebratka
Great idea! Thank you!
January 25, 2013 at 9:24pm   
putter2
I like the color, but I'd paint the foundation the same. Remove the long window next to the front door, and add dark shutters in either side of the door....and paint the door black, with a big brass knocker.
The dormers sound like a good design move, and so does the attic space turned into a master....but that depends on where bathrooms are. Plant a tall evergreen on the right corner. A larger light fixture on the front porch would draw the eye towards the entrance.
January 25, 2013 at 9:53pm     
PRO
Autumnwood Construction Inc.
I think the idea of a dormer would look nice and maybe add a short dormer over the windows above garage. A better attic window above the garage windows. Maybe a pergola above the garage door that is free standing. Give the house a craftsman look. The front yard landscaping really needs to be done up get rid of the asphalt curbing on the driveway and add a nice walkway to the front entrance make it flow more and make more welcoming.

For some ideas Donald Gardner Architects does some nice craftsman style designs http://www.dongardner.com/plan_details.aspx?pid=2491
January 25, 2013 at 9:56pm     
rebratka
Thank you! This is very helpful! I really do appreciate the feedback and the link.
January 26, 2013 at 11:08am     
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I like the idea of the shed dormers too. Especially over the living room windows. It would be nice to have the extra light in the lving room as well.
January 26, 2013 at 11:12am