1920 Craftsman bungalow kitchen Reno

lesliejillthomasJanuary 25, 2013
Previously I posted here regarding my kitchen and I received some very good feedback, all of which I considered. I am attaching a "before" shot and an "in progress" one. We are keeping the cabinets and we are not painting them. Soapstone countertops are going in next week and I chose a Kohler white cast iron single basin sink. I listened to great advice regarding the lighting and I have chosen ribbed glass pendants with brushed nickel accents. For now we will stay with the cork floor although I did at one time think I would like black and white checkerboard, I thought the area is too small? My question today is an appeal for help and advice regarding the backsplash. White 3 x 6 inch subway tiles seem too plain but I accept the area is small. I hope for a feel of a 1920's kitchen. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
Why don't you bring the checkerboard style to the backsplash:

#2979 · More Info

Highlands Remodel · More Info

kitchen'>Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Painted Oak Kitchen · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 8:34PM
Lkristine
What a beautiful kitchen. I love the idea of black and white backsplash. However I also like the idea of keeping it neutral and then just adding black and white accessories to make a statement against a simple white backsplash. Ask yourself, "As time goes on, will I regret a bold black and white backsplash, or do I intend to live here for a very long time and don't anticipate change." Depending on that.......add the black and white.....no matter where, it would look awesome in here. It just depends on your own personal preference and situation. None the less, here is a link to see some ideas. http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=aaplw&va=black+and+white+tile+backsplash
1 Like    Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 8:51PM
Eagledzines
I agree with the checkerboard pattern. That was very 1920s. The tile used was square.
Is your soapstone, when oiled, a true black? It comes with shades of charcoal, green and bluish. You might try getting a few samples of charcoal/black and see which one looks better with the soapstone when it's oiled.
A white square tile would help to reflect the light better. But again, try it against the soapstone. A combination might bring all the colors in the soapstone together better.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 9:15PM
lesliejillthomas
Thank you all so much. Could I consider stainless steel as in attached photo?
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:03AM
The stainless steel backsplash will make the kitchen feel more modern, which is totally fine. I only mention it because you first said you wanted a kitchen with a 1920's feel to it. Soapstone and subway tile will capture that feel. But I'm biased because that is what we chose for our 1920's era kitchen for exactly that reason, plus I prefer simple, understated designs.
Our kitchen renovation · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:06AM
Interiors International, Inc.
Hand made subway style tile adds so much more texture. I mixed it with a brushed aluminum and black accent stripe and an additional aluminum diagonal area above the stove. It really looks great.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:13AM
Marti Lindsey
When we had a craftsman, we were thinking of Malibu tiles or some sort of art tile detail. you could just do a row, or accent area over your stove. Mix with a terra cotta or neutral.
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:13AM
stirrypdx
We recently renovated the kitchen in our 1920s home and installed soapstone counters. They are an excellent choice and you will love them! We went with a Carrara marble subway tile for the backsplash and it looks beautiful with the soapstone and white farm sink. White subway tile is too overdone and too basic,IMHO. I don't know about adding a stainless backsplash, seems like it would conflict with the style and era. The 1920s were all about natural materials and handcrafted tile work.
5 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:15AM
Another option that goes more in the direction of the Craftsman style is a darker slate or matte gray tile backsplash:
Craftsman Inspired Kitchen · More Info

Amish Custom Kitchens - Traditional · More Info

Laurelhurst Kitchen · More Info

Cooktop, Backsplash, Hood · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:16AM
Eagledzines
Nice pics feeny. I love the gray slate in the first one.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:24AM
Actually,the first photo (Craftsman Inspired Kitchen) has Matawi Tileworks ceramic matte tile (based on original Arts and Crafts Movement designs). But you can get slate tile in charcoal shades that will have a similar effect.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:28AM
lesliejillthomas
I would like to thank all of you sincerely.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:45AM
lessismoore
Hi - lesliejillthomas - I took a quick look at the photos you saved in your idea book re kitchens - On the back splash: (we have similar "style" likes) - I went with a off set square tile but with a center inset of those set on the diagonal, and accented with a color (my kitchen cabinets are a butter yellow wash and the tiles are biscuit and chamois - not a huge contrast) For me, it gets the "feel" of retro tile, without it being super in your face :-) Did not go with the apron sink, but with a cast iron enamel one (a huge deep trough) I will try and post a pix later. On the floors: Again, the checkboard pattern is very classic, but if you go with a less contrasty choice it might feel more livable in a small space. A off white, not white, and a tan or gray, rather than black, can work just as well and is a softer, warmer overall look.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:59AM
lesliejillthomas
Thank you! I'd love to see your kitchen!
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 11:11AM
lessismoore
Here is image on the tile back splash - My grandmother's franciscan ware was a big influence :-) I have a few of her vintage items (note the old beehive blender - still works!)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 11:33AM
lesliejillthomas
It's just beautiful!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:12PM
lessismoore
Thank you so much! We re-did this back in '99 and I'm still happy with it every time I look at it. The tile and the setting (which sadly was a bit off in places) was probably the least expensive part. Cabinets/new electrical, the most expensive! I know a lot of people hate a tile counter (what with the grout and cleaning) but we use cutting boards at various stations and a little bleach goes a long way. The colors have worked well with both these dishes, and a black an white toile phase I went through. Some day, I may want to move my blue and white dishes, etc. in here and I still think it will work. So, we've been super happy with the color - very versatile (no pun intended)!
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:30PM
stirrypdx
Here are a couple detail photos of the soapstone counter with backsplash, in case you're interested.
6 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 1:18PM
dbaune
Try subway tiles in a color different than white. How about a sage green? It's a very 20s color, and would add a little color to the cabinets.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 1:29PM
MarbleWarehousecom
You can use mix travertine and marble mosaic tile.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 3:11PM
lesliejillthomas
Thank you! I think this is a terrific look.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 6:17PM
lesliejillthomas
Updated photos - still rather unsure regarding backsplash and must decide ASAP! Here are updated photos with soapstone countertops and new cast iron sink. Thank you!
    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:35AM
lessismoore
I love what Esther Westbrook did - the marble subway tiles. Looks great with her soapstone. The gray tones look great with the stainless, it has a more "textural" look than straight tile and while keeping the 20s influence with the subway pattern, will work with more rustic and/or modern elements too.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:46AM
Seal Tex Metals
What about quilted stainless steel backsplash?
    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 6:46AM
Ironwood Builders
Matte green is staple of the A&C style, Horus makes a nice sage green crackle subway 3X6 that brings that in. Price is not too bad, less than $3 per square foot. Just remember to seal crackle tile prior to grout unless you want that crackle to show up. Reseal after grout too!
    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:36AM
Fine Art Tileworks — Handmade Relief Tile
I ran across a couple of homeowner snapshots of our handmade 4x4 field tiles on the diagonal that might have the look and feel you're after...the mural is our 14x20 Flower Bouquet trimmed with our Petite French Quilt 2x6 liners w/corners. Glaze color is Oyster.
Homeowner Snapshots · More Info

Homeowner Snapshots · More Info

Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Steve Eichenberger, Fine Art Tileworks
1 Like    Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 11:49AM
Need pendant lighting placement/number advice for kitchen reno
Gut kitchen renovation. Will have high hats in ceiling...
natandalex
I need ideas updating ideas for small bathroom, kitchen
1920's craftsman bungalow with tons of potential. My...
Justin Stafford
1920 Craftsman - PLEASE help with Paint Color for Kitchen/Sitting Area
My 1920 bungalow renovation is going well. (Thank...
agobear
What are your home plans for 2015?
What have you got in store for your home in 2015? ...
Help, it's so ugly! Can this kitchen be opened up?
Well, I finally did it. I bought a home in Florida...
ljhoch
Furniture placement
We just moved in to our new house but I have no idea...
Fong Casper
Bathroom vanity
Replacing 1/2 bath vanity doing it in espresso color...
thibek
Colored ceiling in all white bath?
We have until Monday to decide how to paint this room....
domesticimpostor
Please Help with Door Hardware
We are replacing all of the doors/trim/moulding throughout...
sllevy1031
What is the best paint to re-paint our exterior stucco walls?
The last painter used an elastomeric paint. I think...
leenet13