Tree motif...is this plaster?
debkellar
January 26, 2013 in Photo Questions
is the try relief on the wall made of plaster? Does the artist use molds of some kind or freehand create? Fascinating!
sumbrz
I was wondering the same thing. Is the tree made of plaster does anyone know? Also was it made free hand? I would like to attempt making it for my daughters room - ( fireplace as well ) I am somewhat crafty so will see ... :)
July 8, 2013 at 7:32am     
epbluestar
I am in the process of making this tree now. Will post a picture when it is done but so far it is amazing. I used pipe insulation mounted on wooden cut outs and then spackled it directly on the wall. I am now painting my tree. The spackle does not stick that great to the insulation but it is just to give me a base coat and now that my first coat of paint is on, it is solid. Will post pictures as soon as it is done.
November 10, 2013 at 1:05pm     
epbluestar
Houzz sure does inspire great things!!
November 11, 2013 at 4:52am     
Peruci Hermax
I really like it. Would you be more specific? Do you have pictures during the process? I want to know the whole phase 1- 10.
December 21, 2013 at 6:37am   
epbluestar
Sure. Here you go.
Step one. Cover your wall with painters paper. Then using chalk draw out your design
January 2, 2014 at 7:07pm   
epbluestar
Step two
Lay your cut out design on a sheet of thin wood.
Don't forget to number your pieces so you remember how they go back on the wall! Also, take a picture of your chalk layout so you have a reference photo for later.
January 2, 2014 at 7:09pm   
epbluestar
Step three
Cut out all your patter pieces out of the wood of your choice
Using pipe insulation, cover each pattern piece and glue in place. Hot glue melted the foam so I had to use tacky glue. It takes some time but be patient, it is worth the effort. Also keep in mind, you are going to use quite a bit of insulation to cover your pattern pieces so be sure you buy enough.
January 2, 2014 at 7:11pm   
epbluestar
Step four
Glue your pattern pieces in place on your wall. For this you can use small amounts of hot glue. Should you decide to remove your art work from the wall at a later date, having used just a small amount of glue will insure minimal damage to the wall.
January 2, 2014 at 7:12pm   
epbluestar
Step five
Coat your limbs with a thin coat of spackle. Take your time. You will need to apply several thin coats
The spackle does not adhere very well so you have to do this step slowly. In order to smooth it in and get a thin even coat, I cut a small rectangle out of a plastic binder cover. It is flexible and can be washed and used over and over again between coats.
January 2, 2014 at 7:13pm   
epbluestar
Step six
Keep applying the spackle until the desired look is achieved. Finally, top with two coats of wall paint. In the future, should you tire of your creation simply use an exacto knife around the edges of your limbs and pry them off the wall.
Have fun
January 2, 2014 at 7:15pm     
discrib
Epbluestar, thanks for the step by step. Awesome job!
May 3, 2014 at 11:46am     
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...
Height of wall faucet over vessel sink
Debating how high to install this faucet over the rim...
What's your best housekeeping tip?
Occasionally my 12 year old daughter will clean the...
Did I make the right call?
I have added new backsplash. In my eyes I believe...
Stair runner - thoughts?
Hi - I would love some feedback on this runner. The...