houzzsupport
April 6, 2011 in Using Houzz
How do I edit a photo?
houzzsupport
To edit your own existing photos, select the photo you’d like to edit. Click on the “edit” button. Here you are able to edit the name, category, style and project that your photo is associated with. In addition, you can provide a description and photo credit. The more information you provide, the more easily users will be able to find your photos on the site.

If you need to add or replace images simply select browse and find the updated image from a file on your computer.

Remember to click Submit when you are finished editing a photo so that your changes are effective immediately.
April 6, 2011 at 12:36pm     
Crisp Architects
I would like to mass replace my 800dpi wide photos with 1000dpi wide photos. When I uploaded the files with the same names I got duplicates. Is there any way around that?
June 17, 2011 at 9:22am   
Annie Thornton
We can merge those for you. The upload tool will not select one photo over the other when you mass upload — it really grabs everything. In the future, if you would like to replace your smaller photos with larger ones you can click on the "edit" button beneath the photo, and next to the "add or replace images" you can select the file for the photo that is larger. This way, everyone who has already added the photos to ideabooks won't lose them.
June 17, 2011 at 10:42am     
Crisp Architects
Thank you. Is there any way to tell the dpi of the photo when looking at the site on the computer. I can't tell the difference between the images even though there is a size difference.
June 17, 2011 at 11:05am   
ogando partners
where is this "edit" button you speak of? I need to delete picts from my profile.
Thanks
February 10, 2012 at 8:01am   
Annie Thornton
Hi there!

You will see the edit button beneath each individual image that you uploaded. From there you can change the space, style, add a description, and remove an image.
February 10, 2012 at 8:38am   
Joani Stewart-Georgi - Montana Ave. Interiors
Not all of my photos have that EDIT button. Why not and how do I delete them because I have duplicates or want to change the name?
February 10, 2012 at 10:44pm   
Merri Interiors, Inc.
how do I rotate a photo?
February 21, 2012 at 6:49am   
Currently, there is no functionality to rotate a photo within the Houzz site. To rotate a photo, you will need to do it before upload on your computer.
February 21, 2012 at 8:59am   
Jay Corder, AIA
how do i permanently remove a photo from my profile? Its been deleted, but people are still able to access the old link and pull up the photo!!! I want them COMPLETELY deleted from the sever so that people cannot access them anymore. Do I need to delete my profile/account to accomplish this???
March 12, 2012 at 3:27pm   
Hi Jay, Just sent you an email!
March 12, 2012 at 4:18pm   
JAUREGUI Architecture Interiors Construction
HI! Love the site and we're uploading tons of great images. Question... we are architects who design/build. Can we appear in more than one category of professionals and if so, how?
March 19, 2012 at 10:08am   
Hi there, At this stage, you can only appear in one category. Your best bet is to choose the category that makes up the bulk of your business, then list any other categories in your business description, so you will appear in searches for those categories as well. Hope that helps!
March 19, 2012 at 10:20am     
Inca Construction Inc
I have uploaded a photo that is oriented properly on my computer but shows up 90 degrees off when I uploaded it to Houzz. Any tips?
April 14, 2012 at 4:30pm     
Hi there,

Happy to take a look at it. Can you send the image to us at support(at)houzz.com?

April 15, 2012 at 2:10pm   
Susan Pullman-John
how do i replace my profile picture?
April 28, 2012 at 9:13am   
Hi Susan, Just go to your profile, click edit, then you can upload a new profile photo. Hope that helps!
April 30, 2012 at 8:37am   
Jana Happel Interior Design
My vertically oriented photos load onto the site sideways, i.e., horizontally oriented. I even tried saving my vertical photos rotated 90 degrees and then uploading, but that didn't work. Can anyone provide assistance in loading these correctly? Thanks!
May 24, 2012 at 5:43pm   
Hi Jana, the ones I am seeing on your profile are in the correct orientation. Do you mean the photos in the discussions or the photos going to your profile?
May 25, 2012 at 1:59pm   
Jana Happel Interior Design
Hi Emily,
I deleted the sideways picture above and reloaded it on the single upload page and voila! It worked. Thanks for checking back.
May 26, 2012 at 7:00am     
Designing Nature Inc.
I am having problems uploading new photos, my vertical photos are showing up horizontally instead. The files are oriented the right way, I tried the single photo upload but that didn't help. Any advice?
June 19, 2012 at 1:23pm   
Hi there, Can you send a couple of the images causing you trouble to support(at)houzz.com so we can take a look? Thanks!
June 20, 2012 at 5:13pm   
HBates Interior Design
I uploaded two photos, edited them under Move In/Redesign. When I refresh my page, I get duplicates. It says I have 2 projects (just one, really) and 2 photos in one box and the same two photos with Move in /Redesign showing. When I refresh, they are still duplicated. How is this so? does the outside viewer see the photos doubled?
June 20, 2012 at 7:43pm   
Terri Wills, Dip. Building Technology
Hi, I had loaded some pictures into a project and all but 1 went in rotated sideways. I went back in and deleted the whole project. Looking at it now, I see that the project is deleted (not showing up on the left side), however, the 1 photo that did load correctly, is still showing under "photos". How do I remove it?
June 20, 2012 at 10:28pm   
Hi Emma, What you are seeing is "All Photos" where every photo uploaded to your profile is displayed and the project you created next to it. It looks duplicated at the moment, but when more photos are uploaded and/or more projects are created, the difference should be clear to viewers of your profile.

Hope that helps!
June 21, 2012 at 8:37am   
Hi Terri, If you go to the photos you would like to remove and click "edit" you will see a link to remove it.
June 21, 2012 at 8:38am   
Terri Wills, Dip. Building Technology
That's part of the problem...I have looked and looked for an "edit" button, and can't find it....I have right clicked thinking it was there-to no avail-.....help:)
June 21, 2012 at 9:35am   
Terri Wills, Dip. Building Technology
Heh! I manage to figure it out.....needed to actually click on the unwanted photo, and then the "edit" button shows! thanks anyhow!
June 21, 2012 at 9:41am     
ShelterKraft Werks, Inc.
How can I rearrange the photos on my profile? I uploaded 9 photos in a certain order, with a less important photo of bathroom detail as the last one I uploaded. Now that last photo is diplayed as the LARGEST on my profile with all the other photos I would rather feature now displayed just as little thumbnails next to it. Is there any way to rearrange or reprioritize the photos? Or do I just have to delete them all and reload in new order, knowing that the last one I upload will be featured. Thanks,
June 25, 2012 at 9:23pm   
It looks like you have uploaded photos but have not yet created any projects.

The best way to arrange your photos the way you want them is to create a project for them. You can do that by going to one of the photos, clicking edit, then selecting (or creating) a project from that edit screen.

The photos will appear in the reverse order in which they are added to a project, so the photo you add last will appear first. With that in mind, you may want to add that detail photo you referred to first.

Hope that helps!
June 26, 2012 at 9:17am   
Terri Wills, Dip. Building Technology
Sorry, this does not answer my last question of how or why pictures are being loaded sideways. As I tried to explain in my last comment, I remembered that all the photos that are loading sideways on the houzz site- when I took the pictures originally on my camera, I actually turned the camera sideways for a vertical shot. When I downloaded them to my computer, they showed up sideways. So I rotated them in my /computercamera program. Now when I load them to houzz, it is flipping them back to being sideways. any suggestions would help! I have since tried to copy the pictures, rename them.....to no avail! Thanks!
June 26, 2012 at 10:05am   
Designing Edge
I was able to add keywords for one project but do not seem to be able to do so for the rest of the ones I downloaded. How do I do this?
June 26, 2012 at 2:10pm   
Hi Terri, Sending you an email...
June 26, 2012 at 3:23pm   
Ranchera Homes LLC
I am having the same sideways photo issues as I am seeing in previous posts. Not seeing a resolution that works. Can you please email me or post a new resolution to try? I have several photos I would like to upload, but would hate to have to upload them sideways and then have to remove and upload again a different way to correct them.
THANKS!
July 6, 2012 at 10:42am     
Doug Durando
Hey Shana, I just sent you an email. Talk to you soon!
July 6, 2012 at 11:35am   
Terri Wills, Dip. Building Technology
The pictures that I am having troubles with loading horizontally when they should be vertical.......what I noticed is, originally when I took those pictures, I had turned the camera sideways to get a vertical shot. When I downloaded them onto my computer from the camera, they showed up horizontally. So then I turned them back vertically, and saved them. Once I tried to put them on Houzz it flips them back to being horizontal again! What seemed to help was once I have downloaded them from my camera to the computer, I just made a copy of them right away-meaning I flipped them vertical, then saved, then made a copy. Then I use the copy to go onto Houzz, and it seems to have helped. Hope that helps someone!
July 24, 2012 at 4:33pm     
Leslie Saul & Associates
I am having the same rotation issue as many of the previous people mentioned. I would prefer to NOT download them singularly, since I plan to download many photos and a majority of those are vertical orientation.
August 21, 2012 at 8:23am   
Hi Leslie, Were the photos in the Newton project? We have fixed those.
August 21, 2012 at 8:52am   
Leslie Saul & Associates
Hi Emily, yes, thank you so much!! What can we do to correct that in the future ourselves?
August 21, 2012 at 9:28am   
Hi Leslie, For now the photo rotation is only available to our admin staff, but we'll keep you posted!
August 21, 2012 at 3:48pm   
Leslie Saul & Associates
We appreciate the help from your admin, but that really should be an option/tool that is available for people posting photos. It sounds like it is a common problem. (Photo rotation can be done on Facebook!). I hope this is a programming issue that Houzz is working on! Thanks again for your help.
August 21, 2012 at 6:48pm     
ONRAX Overhead Storage
Hi- I am new to the site and just started getting it set up and have a question. My photos only show up on a search for product, they do not show up when I search photo's. Do I need to post them in a different way to have them show up under a photo search? Thanks for your help- Kurt
August 29, 2012 at 8:48am   
Hi there, When you upload photos, part of the upload page requires you to specify whether the images are spaces or products. Products will not show in search results for photos. The best way to handle that generally is to upload your products and then also upload some spaces that feature your products as well, where you can then tag your products to help them be found in the photo search as well.
August 29, 2012 at 11:04am   
Jace Architecture
Houzz is cropping uploaded images for me to fit into a strange proportion/format. How do I prevent this unwanted cropping and allow the images to appear according to their actual proportions rather than the website's automated cropped proportions?

(Note: I have noticed that the cropped proportions seem to depend upon the computer that I use to view the images (possibly due to the screen display proportions?). Although, no computer seems to display my images according to their actual proportions.)

Thank you!
October 4, 2012 at 10:07am   
Hi there, Depending on where you are viewing your photo, you may see a slightly cropped version for displaying on feeds in order to have a consistent layout. When you click on each photo, you should go to the full size with no cropping. Are you seeing the full photo when you click on it?
October 4, 2012 at 12:15pm   
Jace Architecture
Hi Emily,

Thanks so much for responding. I truly appreciate it.

Yes, I am seeing the full size with no cropping occurring when I click on the images. That is great.

However, related to my initial question, I would like to know how to get my vertically-oriented images to fill out the entire image frame width with no image height constraint. In the XL view, my vertically-oriented images are not filling out the webpage's image frames "full-bleed" (so-to-speak), and the website is creating black strips to the left and right of my images to fill up the image frame. I would like the vertically-oriented images to fill the webpage's standard image frame width and allow unconstrained image heights (so that the image frame doesn't need to crop any images). Is there a way for me to control this?
October 4, 2012 at 12:52pm   
Jace Architecture
Hopefully these images elucidate my question.

Image 1: Please see how my image gets cropped and receives black borders once uploaded to XL view?
Image 2: original image [EDIT: The image is getting cropped in the comment box. It is truly a vertically-oriented image, please click on image to view its actual proportions.]
Image 3: Please see how another professional's project image fills the image frame width and still reads as a vertically-oriented image because its height doesn't seem constratined.

Thanks Emily!
October 4, 2012 at 1:02pm   
Hi again! Zipping you an email from support...
October 4, 2012 at 2:42pm   
Jace Architecture
The problem has been resolved: I had forgotten to check the size of the images that I was uploading, which turned out to be approximately 420 pixels in width. Sizing them up to at least 1,000 pixels in width solved the problem.

Thanks for the great support!
October 4, 2012 at 3:28pm   
Fantastic! Happy to help.
October 4, 2012 at 3:38pm   
Eric Lansford
How do I delete a duplicate account that was accidentally created?
November 6, 2012 at 1:19pm   
Doug Durando
Hey Eric,

Can you send a note to support (at) houzz (dot) com with the details? Thanks!
November 6, 2012 at 1:28pm   
Lissee Interiors
Someone has added photos to my site..........how do I delete them and not have this happen again. Is your site not secure to have this happen? Please advise
January 7, 2013 at 9:23pm   
Doug Durando
Hey Anni,

I just sent you an email about this. Talk soon!
January 7, 2013 at 10:46pm   
lucinda carlstrom
I am also having problems with the cropping of my photos. I make elongated artwork so it does not always fit your format. my most popular saved photo is generally cropped off center, which to me doesn't look professional, though the full version of it is fine. is there an ideal size that I could make my artwork conform to in photoshop before I upload them to houzz? I generally shoot with black borders, so I can adjust this. is there a standard proportions that could guide me?
January 12, 2013 at 5:41pm   
Hi Lucinda, Can you try a square shape? The only other issue is that a lot of blank space around the images may still result in cropping, so if that happens, try a slight border around the outside of the images as well.
January 16, 2013 at 3:03pm   
lucinda carlstrom
So I first make a square format around my art in black, and then I put a white smaller border around the whole thing? My second question is mainly for the "products" category. I see photos appear double square size in products both horizontally and vertically. Will the black then white border work as well for "product" photos? Are they a 1:2 ratio? I'll try it -lots of photoshopping. Thanks.
January 16, 2013 at 3:17pm   
Hi Lucinda,

I'd try it on one and see how it goes.

You can either upload as products or as spaces. For products, you are best off just trying to change the proportion to a square without a border then try to upload.

Shoot us an email at support(at)houzz.com for any other questions and we can help you there!
January 16, 2013 at 3:21pm   
Doug Durando
Hey Epoch Interior Design,

Support will be reaching out to you shortly!
May 16, 2013 at 6:44pm   
Bonesteel Trout Hall
I have a project that I would like to upload and the pixel size is 734 px I would like to upload them to get them up and then replace them with the 1000 px when I get them in a couple of weeks. My question is, if someone adds the 734px to their idea book and then I replace it later with the higher one will it stay added to their idea book or will they lose that image and have to retag it?
May 24, 2013 at 6:46pm   
shagunrana
how do i crop a pic
May 27, 2013 at 5:05am   
Bonesteel - When you replace a photo, the new version will be saved in any ideabooks where the old photo was saved.

Shagunrana - currently you can not crop photos on the Houzz site. All editing should take place before upload.

Hope that helps!

The Houzz Team
May 28, 2013 at 4:32pm   
Space Design Collective
Hi, i am not able to see the "edit" tag in the images I uploaded to an Ideabook, did u guys do away with the functionality? How do I add the Style, change the image title etc., if you fail to give us an edit option. Thanks - S
July 1, 2013 at 11:33pm     
Sea Gull Lighting
We don't see the edit button either--what has changed?
July 2, 2013 at 9:43am     
Lissee Interiors
I am seeing photos of spaces that do not belong to me but to someone else.....I still do not know why they are on my site and how do I delete them?
July 2, 2013 at 11:37am   
Hi Anni, If you go to your own profile and are viewing your "feed" you will see activity for other people that you follow on the site. If you click "Activity", you will see only your own activity.

People visiting your profile do not see the "Feed" view. Only you see that.
July 2, 2013 at 5:02pm     
Laura Peterson
How do I added comments to photos already in one of my ideabooks? I can add comments as photos are added to an ideabook for the first time, but I can't figure out how to add/edit comments on a photo in my ideabook after a photo is already added
July 7, 2013 at 9:49am   
Arteriors Designer Finishes
The "Spaces" category pop up is off the page on both Firefox and IE, so we cannot choose spaces from the first column - any way to fix this?
July 16, 2013 at 9:48am     
Legend Lighting
On some of my images the edit button is not there. The titles of some of my photos are not what I originally named them, just a bunch of letters and symbols and I cannot edit them.
July 18, 2013 at 7:18pm   
Beata Reznik
How do I change my profile picture, and take it off of google image search?
August 9, 2013 at 11:15am   
jillianoelle
I like summer colors? What can I do when j fall comes?
August 13, 2013 at 1:35pm   
Designing Edge
I've never been one to be a slave to the seasons as far as color goes. However, if you want to change things up a bit, try adding richer tones of the summer colors as accents. Yellow becomes gold, light blue becomes royal blue, lime green goes to a deeper green. Add a throw and change out your flower arrangements. It will be beautiful.
August 13, 2013 at 2:41pm     
Megan DiBartolo REALTOR (R) The Winnett Group
Do you screen photos or do you have quality control? The photos are all so amazing! Thanks :)
August 13, 2013 at 11:24pm   
janefleischmann
I'm not sure what you mean. This is all my work. I use professional photographers most of the time. It really helps with the quality.
August 20, 2013 at 1:44pm   
glammomov3
Silly question, but where is profile page?
August 20, 2013 at 1:53pm   
@Laura if you go to your ideabook and click Edit, you can change any of the comments you saved with the photos or add new ones.
August 29, 2013 at 6:14pm   
@Beata Just go to your profile via the web interface and you can replace your profile photo.
August 29, 2013 at 6:15pm   
@Meagan We do look at all the photos that are uploaded and you will see the best photos more often on the site because they are featured more prominently. :)
August 29, 2013 at 6:15pm   
@glammov If you visit via the website, you can click your avatar to go to your profile.
August 29, 2013 at 6:16pm   
For any questions with specific photo editing, please send us a quick email at support(at)houzz.com with the details and a link to the photo(s) in question. Thanks!
August 29, 2013 at 6:17pm   
AS Hanging Systems
When adding a photo, there's a place to enter "Photo Credit". Is this to credit the person, organization from where the photo originated? Or is this where we enter our companies name to protect ourselves and so when people click on the image they will be directed back to our site?
October 3, 2013 at 12:31pm   
Pine Street Carpenters & The Kitchen Studio
@AS Hanging Systems: The "Photo Credit" is where you put the photographer's name (or your business name if you'd like if you are the photographer). The name/link back to your Houzz profile is automatic by simply uploading a photo to your portfolio.
October 4, 2013 at 12:24pm   
UrbanWood Goods
How can I replace the photos of my child products? Is there a way that I can import photos instead of clicking the "Edit" button one by one in "Manage Products" page.
October 20, 2013 at 6:20pm   
lisa k. tharp - k. tharp design
If I edit a photo, or replace it with a slightly different variation of the same image, will it still be preserved in the idea books to which it was saved?

December 28, 2013 at 3:45am   
Blindsgalore
We are trying to update an image for a product, the image doesn't display an "edit" beneath the photo. We have many other products and photos that do show "edit", but this particular one doesn't show that functionality. Why would this not show? We are trying to replace all of our older photos with new higher res images.
February 3, 2014 at 2:22pm   
Richmond Tile and Bath
I deleted a project but one photo remain how do I remove this photo. The trash can does not appear when I use edit button
March 25, 2014 at 2:43pm   
Art Gems
How can one place the same photos in more categories, places etc... without getting photo duplicates within the original projects? Also is there a way to by-pass a specific house style so the photos can be placed through-out all styles? Thanks!
May 4, 2014 at 7:33am   
Ofir Zwebner
Hi Art,

We require that photos belong to one room category and one style.

I suggest your go with the best fitting category for your photos, so as to fit what people browsing the site are looking for. Chose the prominent part of the photo as a category. Alternatively, you can leave your photo uncategorized ("spaces") and provide more information about it in the description field.

The same applies to styles - chose what's the focus of your photos. If, for example, the room is modern but has Asian touches - you can chose eclectic. Our editorial team has written plenty of articles about different styles, which can be found here: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/Decorating-Styles#Decorating
May 4, 2014 at 5:50pm   
Art Gems
Thanks Ofir. I did put most of our new art line under Eclectic but will put some under spaces. It is hard to have only 1 choice, a max of 3 would be nice but I understand that Houzz wants to avoid duplicates and is dealing with such a massive volume of photos as it is.

On another topic, have you ever considered adding "Shabby Chic" to style? This is still a very popular one. Lots of sparkle, soft velvet furniture, fringed & embroidered pillows, gold leaf art frames, soft wall colors. No other style choice really picks this feeling up in a comprehensive way.

One other thing... I think sub-choices under Artwork such as Wall Art, as framed, unframed and gallery wrap, would really help customers narrow down the search substantially. Just a thought. Thanks so much, Janet
May 5, 2014 at 5:52am   
Ofir Zwebner
Hi Janet,

Thanks for understanding our concerns with categorization. More than anything, what matters is having great looking photos that other will like and save; style and categorization come later.

We're continuously looking into extending our list of available styles and sub-categories. Those are some great suggestions, thanks!
May 5, 2014 at 1:33pm   
Joie de Vivre
I would like to link Houzz pictures with my products on my website. Does anybody know how to do ?
Just like this:
May 8, 2014 at 2:29pm   
@Joie de vivre You can add product tags to photos that you upload to your own profile. If you have your own shots of spaces incorporating your products, you can upload those to your profile and then tag your products in them there.
May 8, 2014 at 6:03pm   
Joie de Vivre
Great, thank you very much for your answer Emily Hurley!
May 12, 2014 at 2:35pm     
Floors?
I'm thinking of putting down wood look tile where the...
Advice Needed! Smaller couch or 2 chairs?
I plan to replace the white couch because it is too...
Too much white/grey???
Am I making a mistake designing using too much grey...
How Can I lighten up this kitchen?
I have a kitchen that is very dark because of little...
Help! Exposed brick - to cover or not to cover
We have a strange layout in our house. The fireplace...