Canned lighting in kitchen
lindagregJanuary 26, 2013
How far apart should canned lights be?
Interiors International, Inc.
At least 36" if using 6"+ cans if you use 4" cans 28"-30" will work.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:21PM
There are many factors that go into determining how many recessed lights are needed in a kitchen. I would put in more lighting for senior citizens than for a young couple.

The number would also depend on how much light the recessed fixture produces and what other lighting there is in the room. I like to position recessed lighting above wall cabinets at 18" out from the wall, and about every 4 or 5'

But I would also use under cabinet lighting. I would probably add pendant lighting over an island because it adds interest to the room. But if I thought that the pendants that were selected would not give enough light, I'd add additional recessed fixtures there also.

Your architect or lighting expert should be able to further advise you on this issue.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:27PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design is correct on the 18" but we do differ in our opinion of spacing. I do not change the amount of light based on the age of the client. I make sure the room is well lit for everyone. It will go on the market at sometime as well as have all ages using it at some point. I know my mom and mother in-law use my kitchen a lot.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:35PM
Good point, Interiors International! How far apart do you space your recessed fixtures?
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 1:15PM
lindagreg
Thanks everyone! Can you tell me where/how to post my needing help with a floor plan.....space planning is not my forte and this house is small we are remodeling...;-(
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 1:53PM
Post it as a new topic on Design Dilemmas, with photos for sure and a sketch of the room showing dimensions would be vary helpful.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 3:13PM
lindagreg
Ok...will try;-) thank you soooo much!
    Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 3:19PM
Gary Presto
I would agree regarding the good point and suggestion about increased lighting for elders. Also to take into consideration, meanwhile, is that some older adults may sometimes present conditions related to eye, skin exposure, etc., where certain kinds, intensities, or angles of lighting--both aritifical and natural--can be either beneficial or dentrimental to them. For instance, my elderly infirm mother suffers from a condition that includes symptoms of left-eye corneal swelling, pain and tearing when in a setting surrounded by very bright natural or artificial light. As a result, we've needed to revamp especially her kitchen lighting furnishings and positioning accordingly. Great comments mention, IMO--current and future Baby Boomers (I'm one! :->) are going to be living wanting to maintain their familiar or anticipated quality of life in their current homes, and working at their jobs to financially support maintaining such living arrangements, longer. They'll want the best, and they're more educated and technologically savvy. Therefore, assistive technologies and remote interactivity are going to be a large part of seniors' 24/7 customer expectations and needs in home designing trends, going forward. Good work!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:06AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Is this the right place to mention that I prefer my lighting fresh or frozen instead of canned?

I also prefer some uplights on top of cabinets to create some soft general lighting, particularly in kitchens with 9' or taller ceilings. It won't work if there is a soffit on top of the cabinets.

Like Carolyn, I also prefer to have undercabinet lighting to prevent shadows under the upper cabinets and create a warm glow - enough for basic tasks -when there isn't a need for overhead lighting.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:26AM
What should I buy to add recessed can lights to kitchen?
I have some existing recessed lights in the soffits...
oojeanie
How many cans needed in my ceiling?
We want to replace a hanging light and a fan in our...
nut4golf
Family Room
Bones of room are contemporary due to vaulted ceiling...
dsimber
Need lighting help for my kitchen. Pendants or no?
Hi everyone! I'm currently remodeling my home and need...
Jenni Kenyon
8 ft ceilings
I have a question - if you have 8ft ceilings is it...
terribruno1
Bedroom help needed please
Bought new nightstand, mercury glass lamps... trying...
Julie Dyer
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
What do you think of this artwork?
I've posted this room before, but didn't want to use...
Debbie
painting kitchen cabinets
I want to paint my kitchen cabinets, white for the...
Kelly Mcewen