Help! Counters/backsplash don't match!
jagwyre
My new counters and backsplash just went in and they don't look the way they did together as samples. The counters look really yellow and the travertine looks really pink. I can't rip them out. My only hope is the cabinets are being painted next week. They will be some shade of white and glazed. What shade should I aim for to help this situation? I'll be using Sherwin Williams paint if you have a particular color in mind. Thanks!
Jayme H.
Same dilemma a few days ago on Houzz site! Ironwood Builders and a few others suggested staining the travertine as it is soft, porous and takes stain well. Some of those parties may soon chime in! Good luck!
January 26, 2013 at 4:44PM   
STUDIO MB
Call in someone who stains concrete. You can probably achieve a look like this Noche Walnut Travertine.
January 26, 2013 at 5:05PM   
Creations Nadia Interior Design
use very dark beige grout ,almost brown - that will "eat" the pink away, if the contractors have to put sealer on the tiles ask what kind of and see if it is yellowish enough, that would help
January 26, 2013 at 5:11PM     
Lkristine
Just don't do crisp white cabinets......glazed white, off white, will definitely minimize the pink tone of the backsplash. I would wait until you get the cabinets done before making the determination to stain the backsplash. If it indeed comes to that, I found a link about staining travertine. (this one says floor, but at least it's a general idea.) But, I bet you may be surprised when you have it all done and pulled together that it will look fine. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-stain-a-travertine-floor#.UQR_447FVaU
January 26, 2013 at 5:21PM   
How to DIY Right
Its hard without seeing the rest of the job, but it looks like the pinkest pieces of travertine are in the middle of the picture, while the ones towards both sides of the picture are more the color you would expect with travertine and look fine. If you have problems just in a few areas you should have the tile person pop those out and replace them before moving forward with grout. If the whole job has really does have a pink under tone your only option (without tearing it out) is to stain it darker to get rid of that pink undertone. No matter what color the cabinets are painted it wont improve the competing colors of the backsplash and the granite top. You will want to stain the backsplash dark enough to get rid of the pink without going too dark. Just use extra pieces of that pinkish travertine and make samples to determine the color you will be most happy with. Then have the person doing the staining show you how, he or she will do it before the work is done. They will have one chance to get it right.
January 26, 2013 at 5:27PM     
The following will only work if your tile has not been sealed. If it has been sealed, you're probably out of luck! I would buy a quart of Sherwin-Williams Ivoice SW6127. Then I'd water down a quarter cup of the paint with 4 parts water to one part paint. Gently brush some of this mixture onto the offending pinkish tile. If this mixture doesn't turn it a color that better matches your granite, increase the mixture to 3 parts water to 1 part paint. Continue on. Best of luck!
January 26, 2013 at 5:28PM   
jagwyre
Here is a pic with the grout.
January 26, 2013 at 5:29PM   
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
As Jayme Hobbs said, there was a similar circumstance that you are encountering and my suggestion to that individual was if you have some extra tiles, take them to you tile provider or a quality paint store and see if when you apply a sealer if the pink tones will calm down a bit, or if you can get a custom tinted sealer that will give you the look you are after if staining isn't an option. The counters are already sealed so that color is going to stay, the backsplash in my opinion is way to busy with multiple borders, trim pieces and accent tiles, sometimes simpler is better, not that that helps now. It looks like you have undercabinet lighting, maybe a filter on the lenses would tame the yellow out of the counter some. Hope this helps.
January 26, 2013 at 5:59PM     
How to DIY Right
After you paint the cabinets, and if you are still not happy, then keep in mind staining is an option. As with anything involving colors I recommend you get a few large samples you can hold up to see how it will react to the other colors before you make a final decision and give the go ahead to the painter.
January 26, 2013 at 6:05PM   
Scott Design, Inc.
What kind of lighting do you have under your wall cabinets? Type and color of bulb?
January 26, 2013 at 6:09PM   
Creations Nadia Interior Design
it looks better on this pic ,mind you colours are not precise on PC.
January 26, 2013 at 6:30PM   
Jayme H.
I knew there was something u could do with the grout to help...I am not insane after all!!
January 26, 2013 at 8:07PM     
fangprintz
Hold off on staining the tile until you have done your cabinets. Then do a total assessment of the color tweak-those under cabinet lights look terribly bright but may be necessary if your kitchen is dark without sufficient overhead lighting. I dislike under cabinet lighting-too cluttered, but it is perhaps the reason why the color variance is so pronounced now-and wasn't noticeable in the showroom.

Paint your cabinets in a color that you absolutely adore. The cabinets are a huge focal point in your kitchen-and you must be happy with how they look. The counter top is beautiful- don't worry your look will come together. Just wait till the cabinets are in-then tweak the tile color if you still feel the need to do so.
January 26, 2013 at 8:33PM   
jagwyre
So I realized the lighting is part of the problem. The worst area is under a warm fluorescent bulb. I'm going to change the lighting and also the cabinets should be finished today or tomorrow so that will make a difference. We'll see what happens, but I think it might be ok... Fingers crossed!
January 29, 2013 at 9:27AM     
jagwyre
Cabinets are painted (except for doors) can you tell anything from this picture? I can try to get one in daylight tomorrow.
January 29, 2013 at 5:47PM   
Creations Nadia Interior Design
on my PC it doesn't look that bad, what with the light switches???? will you change them?
January 29, 2013 at 6:22PM   
Ironwood Builders
late to the show! I've been working...for money! So yes, we discussed just this issue earlier this week. Please search discussions for a line on the forum. I believe that the consensus of us contractors was, yes, it can be stained. There are a number of products that were recommended. Get some extra tile from your tile setter and get ready to do some samples. Read our last discussion and give it a try. I don't think that what you paint and glaze your cabinets with will alter your tile and counter top issues. There could be a slight misdirection of the eye...but....
January 29, 2013 at 6:38PM     
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
stain tiles darker chocolate tone. Yellow base... your cabinets & counters have a yellow base.
try to pick up on the darker tones in the granite. with the light cabinets it will be dramatic. Just keep away from any pink undertone... that is why the tile looks so OFF!
January 29, 2013 at 11:45PM   
Winstead White Aristokraft Kitchen doors don't match cabinets, help!
We are in the process of building and the kitchen was...
Need help with ideas for recent antique furniture pieces that don't match
I have acquired several antique furiture pieces (matching...
i don't know how to match prints!!! Help :)
I want to buy this ikat rug. We have dark wood floors...
fireplace ideas!?
should I hang a painting or leave it clean? I need...
What should I do with this AWKWARD space?
ADD ON. 7 ft ceilings, lower cabinets halfway up the...
Colour Palette for Fabric
Hello, need help deciding on which colours I can use...
How do I make building a second home affordable?
Need help cutting costs before starting to build a...
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...