BackSplash Help
katietierno
I have dark green kitchen walls, Ubatuba granite and cherry oak cabinets... I need a beautiful and classic idea to shop for in adding a backsplash!
GEE Contracting and Development
Your kitchen is beautiful except for the army green. Have you thought of the small glass linear block back splash since it is behind your stove and probably any paint would show grease splashes. The glass come in many variations of color combos and are easy to clean and install. I would use it all around your kitchen as I am sure you need one for your sink etc.
January 27, 2013 at 11:07AM     
mamachers
I recently had glass tiles installed as a backsplash and love it. I would lighten the green in the kitchen. Green does go well with the maple cupboards just that color looks a little dark.
January 27, 2013 at 11:12AM     
mamachers
Sorry, I meant to say Cherry cupboards.
January 27, 2013 at 11:13AM   
Jo Cook Interior Design
I do like the linear glass tiles, but you should also look at crackled glass tiles. I have used them in 4" x 4" on the square pattern in a light goldish color with an uba tuba granite and cherry cabinets. I had the walls painted to match the tiles. It looks wonderful. You could go with these tiles pictured and stay with the green paint!
January 27, 2013 at 11:22AM     
kabbink
I agree with the other commenters - I think green looks good but maybe go a little lighter. Take a look at the Sage Green Glass Subway tile here: http://www.subwaytileoutlet.com/products/Sage-Green-Glass-Subway-Tile.html

That color is also available as a smaller, 1" x 2" size here: http://www.subwaytileoutlet.com/products/Sage-Green-Mini-Glass-Subway-Tile.html
January 27, 2013 at 11:24AM   
Arlene Eskin
I like this look very much and was thinking of doing a subway tile backsplash in my kitchen. I hesitate because these tiles have become so ubiquitous. Every big box store has them now for low prices. I wonder if in a few years they become one of those trends that starts to look dated. Opinions would be welcome.
January 27, 2013 at 11:45AM     
kabbink
Arlene,

Subway tile has been around since the 50's and with new, modern materials like stainless steel and glass available I am confident they wont look dated any time in the foreseeable future!
January 27, 2013 at 11:48AM     
akjckc2510
Arlene, I share your concern. Even though the tiles have been around since 50s it has gone in and out of style. Good news is, if they go out of style again chances are it will come back around.
January 27, 2013 at 11:51AM   
Darby'sDesignSolutions LLC
More info is needed to be of effective help; what material is your floor made of, what is the color of your floor. What is your trim painted or stained? What style would you most want to lean towards; traditional, transitional, contemporary....?
Just of the top without more info I would pick this tile: http://www.tileshop.com/product/productdetail.aspx?familyID=2089&recordID=5071633
January 27, 2013 at 12:00PM     
katietierno
Thank you all for the ideas. I should apologize for the messy state of my kitchen, and for the poor photo. I swear the green is great here, it picks up on the green in the granite beautifully. I've never heard a bad word about it.... I think it just needs some love. Some lights and finishing touches might make a huge difference!
January 27, 2013 at 12:36PM   
katietierno
@gewen, I don't have any tiling behind the stove, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you find a pic as an example I'd love to see.
January 27, 2013 at 12:39PM   
katietierno
@darbysdesignsolutionsllc floors are ceramic tile, taupe grout. I have a traditional eye (I think). I need something unique enough to love but something that can translate enough to sell with value add.
January 27, 2013 at 12:44PM   
Jill Crowe
The Lowe's here in my town has a great product to solve your problem. They have 18"x18" tiles that LOOK like ageing copper, but are realy plastic. They have embossed design so they look like they are salvaged from a 1920's cruise ship. They are inexpensive, but will easily solve the backsplash issue. They clean up easily and well, too. You will be shocked at the low price.
January 27, 2013 at 12:48PM     
katietierno
@jill I was thinking along those lines. Any thoughts on the picture here?
January 27, 2013 at 12:53PM     
amoliveira
Have very similar granite. Finally found glass & marble tile combination called Ming green. Coordinates beautifully. Photo doesn't do it justice.
January 27, 2013 at 1:04PM     
January 27, 2013 at 1:26PM     
Arlene Eskin
Good thoughts about the subway tile. Thank you all.
January 27, 2013 at 1:33PM     
hmschoolmom
I like your green and thinks it always complements cherry nicely in a traditional setting. Glass or stone linear tiles as a backsplash would look lovely in black/gray or lighter gray tones. I think that something like this would look nice. Notice no granite 4" backsplash. That detracts from the backsplash and is becoming a dated look.
January 27, 2013 at 1:39PM     
Scott Design, Inc.
Living in the metro NY area, I'm very familiar with subway tile since they debuted at the turn of the 20th century in the New York subway system. They have been around for over 100 years and still going strong. Their rectangular shape offers so many possibilities for traditional, transitional, and contemporary styling simply by the way they are installed... vertically, running bond, herringbone, stacked, diagonally, double stacked, etc.

You may want to consider a 3x6 white subway tile in herringbone pattern with dark grey grout. It's a classic pattern and the dark grey would serve to complement the top and 4" backsplash.

If you have the time and are so inclined, you may want to purchase some pieces, mount them to white poster board in a couple of patterns and grout them in white and grey. You can lean the boards against the backsplash and over a couple of days you can choose.
January 27, 2013 at 2:33PM     
katietierno
1) this app rocks!
2) thank you everyone for all the input!
3) I googled the last suggestion and found the following photos... Thoughts?
January 27, 2013 at 4:48PM   
Subway Tile Outlet
The first picture looks like it could be our "Smoke" glass subway tile here: http://www.subwaytileoutlet.com/products/Smoke-Glass-Subway-Tile.html

Personally I think grey might be a bit dark for your room. Notice both the pictures you found have white cabinets. What about something lighter or even white? http://www.subwaytileoutlet.com/categories/White-Glass-Subway-Tile/
January 27, 2013 at 5:22PM   
cathyjoco
You have a very pretty combination; Here are some photos of a kitchen I have always thought was very pretty.
January 27, 2013 at 5:30PM   
Need help with kitchen back-splash
I just renovated my kitchen and added gray tumbled...
BackSPLASH help Please!
Hi! We just moved into our house in August. The kitchen...
Need help with Kitchen BackSplash
I'm looking to add a quick and easy backsplash to my...
Help me Choose Kitchen BackSplash
I have Crema Bordeaux Granite Countertop. I need...
Need help choosing Back-splash for our fairly white Kitchen
Hi guys! I need help choosing a back-splash for our...
Office decorating
Are artificial trees out ?
Transition between wood floor stains
I just posted this in another forum but this is probably...
Is the color "Baked Pretzel" in style?
Trying to figure out a carpet color for the rumpus...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Wood bathroom decor
Hi all. This is a very small bathroom in my new home....