The red couch stays - help with the rest!
jenjchambers
We have a red couch that spacially works and is so comfortable. I cannot seem to pull the rest of the room together. Open to anything. Window treatments, wall color it all can go. This room opens up right into the kitchen.
putter2
Can you have wooden framing added around each window? Is the big window behind the light curtains a door? Those curtains are too feminine and more for a bedroom. If it is sliding doors, or such, find vertical blinds that match the ones have on the other windows, so you can easily pull them open. Paint the wall behind the TV in the alcove red, to match the couch. Corner seating area looks good......but big wall art or a set of three pictures would look better on the wall than one clock.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 12:17PM
suzineberz
All windows and slider need to be treated with the same covering hung at the same height room needs a rich color on walls to balance all the strong red.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 12:17PM
jenjchambers
Totally agree! I don't care for the color of the window treatments. Was thinking of replacing and adding window treatments (drapes) with a pattern. Just bought a set of frames (6) to go around the clock and was going to add B&W pictures. Do you think that will fill the space enough?
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 12:22PM
Jayme H.
A few rooms
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 12:37PM
Judit
perhaps a large artwork over the sofa between the two windows same hieight as the windows?
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 12:39PM
colleen77
You can do a lot in this room without spending a lot. I agree that all of the window coverings including the window in the dining area need to be the same - hang'em high and they should reach the floor. I would also paint the room a nice rich color but nothing too dark. Maybe a carmel? I would avoid yellow. I almost see your curtains being neutral rather than a print. The other thing I would do is pull your couch away from the walls - it needs some breathing room - 6-8" should be enough. A couple of floor standing reading lamps could go behind the couch since you dont have any lighting on that side of the room. If you really like your clock, then I would suggest studying a Pottery Barn catalog to see how they put items together into a wall arrangement using floating shelves. Otherwise I see a large artpiece on that wall.

I would put a pillow or a throw on your chair - something to tie it in to your couch. I would also pivot your chair to face the couch area rather than the TV. You could replace your ottoman with a dark colored coffee table. An area rug under your couch would also define that space in the room - When choosing a rug - I would avoid anything with alot of overt red in it. Hope those are some ideas that inspire you : )
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 2:13PM
Aegean Designing Whims
I really like Colleen77's ideas. I'm attaching some Hunter Douglas pictures showing vertical and horizontal treatments that co-ordinate. Chrysteen
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 2:39PM
Blinds Direct Canada
If your willing to replace the wooden blinds i would replace them with Roman Shades . If you set on keeping them i would recommend decorative panels on the windows with the wooden blinds to really soften the look. For the larger window I would recommend going with a decorative rod and Grommet Drapery it will look amazing on the window.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 3:56PM
bbarick
Is that a Sergio Bustamante paper mache duck you have there by the desk? So cool...
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:01PM
LB Interiors
Maybe you could try to center the sectional on the clock wall between the 2 windows on that wall. Try moving the light chair closer to the sofa and opposite the ottoman on the same side as you have it. Creates a tighter conversation area and balances the grouping.

For windows you can use one type of treatment and a different treatment on the sllider. But, they must be color co-ordinated to your colors in the room. I'd like to see a pattern on the sliders that carries the colors in your printed pillows, but not with the predominate color of red. Maybe a multi stripe with "some" red. Choose larger pieces to fill more space on the wall above sofa.
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:10PM
LB Interiors
Moving the sofa to the right will give you a space to place the floor vase in the corner between the two windows.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:11PM
LB Interiors
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:30PM
LB Interiors
Maybe hang the guitar at an angle above the sofa, centered in that wall space from left and right side of sofa back. It becomes the focal point of the wall. Purchase two musical artworks to flank each side of guitar.

I would add an end table to the right side of sofa with a table lamp.
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:53PM
Eagledzines
Here is some inspiration
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 7:08PM
LB Interiors
This is close to my thoughts from my original post. For your room, I would have less red in the drapery than this photo. But I really like this too.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 7:16PM
anitajoyce
A nice tan or grey would go nicely in the room and with the grey chair.
    Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 7:17PM
Paint ideas needed (and drapes) for blue carpet/beige couch.
The carpet has to stay; the couch has to stay; the...
Karin Buehler Hamburg
Should the mirror stay or go ?
Does this mirror look good for my entrance ? Should...
Xaloux
Should it stay or go?
Based on suggestions the sofa was moved to here. I...
brenda7b
Need help with recovering couch
I want to get this old lounge suite on right (paler...
Chris King
jack1260
Dining room lighting
My diningroom table opens to 118". It has two leafs...
jodimae12
Stay safe and warm, East Coast Houzzers!
Are you impacted by the blizzard on the East Coast...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Ann
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster