Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmerbear

Family Room Furniture Placement

kmerbear
8 years ago

I need help with furniture placement for a family room with several focal points. The bifold doors to open to a court yard into the backyard. I want a space that flows between the kitchen as well. There is a paneled 1/2 wall on the wall next to the hallway. Our TV is above the fireplace.

Comments (12)

• kmerbear
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! I don't see a sketch ... Was it attached?

• nimrod25
    8 years ago

I'm wondering what the dimensions are and what the design style is to be. The room looks as if it may be large enough for more than just TV viewing, such as a game table and reading area. Additionally, and this is very important to seating, how many people would be watching TV at the same time. I would need this information in order to offer any suggestions.

kmerbear thanked nimrod25
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    8 years ago

With no dimensions on the plan, it is quite impossible to do a furniture arrangement!

• kmerbear
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I will look for dimensions. I think it's 17 x16 excluding the part of the family room that is used as a hallway.
  • jkleinpeter
    8 years ago

Although dimensions would be helpful to provide a specific furniture plan, there are standard sized elements shown on the plan that make it possible to estimate dimensions (a toilet is one such element). The size of the chairs, sofas and tables can also be adjusted for the size of the room.

kmerbear thanked jkleinpeter
  • kmerbear
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks! I just want the concept I don't need exact dimensions of recommended Furniture like jkleinpeter showed.

I was debating if I should use a sectional or possible swivel chairs on the side near nana doors.... Or like suggested above.

• PRO
    Fiorella Design, LLC
    8 years ago

How about asking me? : )

• sambo556
    8 years ago

If the room is empty, beware! Your eyes can play tricks. Sometimes an empty room will seem larger than it is, sometimes smaller. If you are not comfortable drawing a detailed floor plan on paper, here's a simple trick. Lay out the size of a typical sofa (8'x3', +/-) on the floor with sheets of newspaper. Try it in different positions, see how it changes traffic patterns, sight lines, etc. Then add more newspaper representing a chair or two, a table, any other furniture you may have or wish to include in the room. Yeah, you are going to feel silly doing this, but you will know what will work before you spend any money or make any mistakes.

Good luck... looks like a great house!

• PRO
    Brm Mac
    8 years ago

I love how we all go to the ever assuming SOFA! Blah. Think out side the box, why not two love seats two chairs/large with high backs and arms possibly making use of one large round cocktail ottoman or two smaller ones to tuck under the chairs? and of course not face to face, but in an L shape open up those views to your windows. Loveseats would allow more room for the holidays to then go face to face to enjoy the fireplace and another room rearrangement too. You could use that SOFA one with a large cocktail facing the window over near the right side of fireplace, then in the opposite side near back windows, one round cocktail with 4 larger chairs surrounding it. Good Luck

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Loveseats are the biggest waste of money IMO they seat one person comfortably I still think sofas and chairs are the best options for seating and flexibility with layout.

• nimrod25
    8 years ago

In a room this size, I would look at doing a layout similar to this photo.

jamesthomas, LLC · More Info

Good luck!