Need help with designing a living room!!
_nev
I recently just moved into an apartment and so far, I only have a couch and a tv. I will add a couch picture below. The couch is a dark jean like fabric and the its only one peice. I can add pictures of what the space looks like once i get home but for now I will just attach an image of the couch. I was think about adding may be to accent chairs but im not sure what directon of color I should go, or if I should just buy a cover for the couch and purchase another love seat? any tips would be wonderful! I also cannot paint in this apartment so i would like to livin' it up with some color! (just the couch, not the green leaf chair)
Judith Taylor Designs
With a solid colour like that you have all kinds of directions you can go in. What colour is on the walls? The best way to find your direction is to pick a piece you love - artwork or possibly a textile for a second chair, or for drapery and let that direct the colour palette. Find something with colours you enjoy that start with the colour in your sofa and introduce new colours. What style or look do you prefer?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 2:45PM
_nev
The walls are just a plain white. I don't have a specific style that I like and I've never decorated a room before but since I've been looking on this website I find myself drawn to more of a contemporary style. Thank you so much for your feed back!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:50PM
I'd definitely buy one or two chairs instead of a loveseat, and I think that yellow could be a happy color choice. I'd add a white mongolian lamb pillow from West Elm to the sofa. While at West Elm, I'd pick up a pillow with yellow and black in it and I'd go for their zebra rug, too, if your sofa is black and not blue. If your sofa is actually dark blue, then I suggest a seagrass rug.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASIDyellow chair Mongolian Lamb Pillow Zebra Rug
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:04PM
LB Interiors
Since your sofa is a jean-like fabric, consider fabrics that are woven and and highly textured, linen, sailcloth, denim and the like. One or two chairs in a different color or a contemporary pattern. Other fabrics can offer a change of pace from the wovens also. Please don't use a slipcover unless it fits tight and conforms to the shape of your sofa.and fits each cushion separately and isn't a throw. To achieve the contemporary feeling for the room, for accessories, choose shiny and colorful elements, straight line forms, simple design styles. Since the sofa is a neutral, any color you prefer will probably work.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:10PM
_nev
Excuses the mess, we've only been living here for a week! But here is how it looks right now
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:50PM
How many people are living there? Do you have more than one bedroom? If so, how many? I think we need to see more of the room in order to better advise you.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 4:44PM
_nev
I have one roommate. And there are two bedrooms.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:50PM
You will need a coffee table and also a small table to place by the chair or between the two chairs. The acryllic coffee table takes up little visual space and has a pint size pricetag to boot! I love the mirrored accent table which will be a star wherever it goes. Faceted Mirror Side Table Peekaboo Clear Coffee Table | CB2
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 7:24AM
Nancy Hehmann
For wall art, look on Etsy.com, just put what you are interested in in their search engine. You can even choose a theme like Paris photography or coastal photography. They have many styles of wall hangings. Hope you visit my shop it is nancyhehmann. Just click on the links below and you will see some examples.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/102756931/black-swan-and-white-duck-on-lake-at
https://www.etsy.com/listing/102756213/black-swan-and-white-duck-at-sunset-on

After you have chosen wall art, I would pick a color from it you like and buy home decor pillows for your sofa. Etsy also has shops with those. Another place to find affordable home decor such as curtains, area rugs and pillows is JCPenney.com I would choose art or an area rug before I decide on an accent color so you can find something you really love to give you inspiration.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:39AM
_nev
Thank you guys so much for all of the wonderful ideas!! I was able to clear the living a bit so I will attach more pictures!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:20AM
_nev
A few more!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:22AM
It looks like you may have space for two chairs, placed facing the window, if you buy chairs that are no wider than 32". But if you measure the area from the wall where your sofa is to the TV wall, then we could tell you for sure. I'd also like to know how deep your sofa is (not the chaise part) from front to back.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:07AM
LB Interiors
I agree with Carolyn. Other ideas - Add an end table on the left of sofa, lamp on top. You can buy a small colorful ottoman and it will serve as a coffee table and extra seating for guests. This layout will keep the room open and spacious. Another option for extra seating is an upholstered bench facing the windows.

However, I think I'd prefer just one low back chair facing the windows.

Swoop Upholsterd Settee Loveseat Bench, Slate Velvet With Nailhead
Coventry 36" Storage Bench

coffee table Lotus Garden Seat
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:30AM
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
kris0330
I need help to design this living room and dinning room please help
Need help to design my living room and dining room...
sunrise27
Need help with living room,kitchen and dining room color and design. T
Hello, We just moved into our new home couple weeks...
Theresa Marquardt
need help in designing of kitchen room and living room.
i have attached the jpg image of my house. i need...
asrabanu
need help with color and design for living room and dining room.
Recently we bought a house and have been struggling...
ssllv
need help with my living room
Hi! I was hoping to get some input re: my living room....
alsad
I need help with this room in the front of my house just to the right
Currently it is a sitting room. (Not used often). And...
brendamarch
Mixing venetian blind styles - would this work?
We have an open kitchen- family room concept. We...
bigtimebookie
Kitchen Island Chandelier Help!
I have read the numerous posts on how to pick the chandelier...
hrsource
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie