Need help with my son's kitchen
tdstonge
My son would like some ideas on what to do with his kitchen cupboards, counter and wall colour. The floor is grey laminate and in good condition so that's staying. He's on a tight budget but would like to update the room. The adjoining room is a tan colour and it will remain. Any suggestions?
nancygerrysimba
Is it possible to remove the outdated trim on the cupboard doors? If so remove the trim, paint the cabinets a nice darkish charcoal grey. Change the hardware to pewter or brushed nickel and re-hang the doors with hidden hardware instead of the hinges showing. The walls should be painted a light, fresh dove grey. Any trim work around the windows, base boards and crown molding should be painted bright white. Eventually the counter top should be replaced with a thick, beautiful piece of granite or a slab of white marble with grey striations (carrara?)
January 27, 2013 at 8:42PM   
nancygerrysimba
Why does the adjoining room have to remain tan?
January 27, 2013 at 8:43PM   
barfletch
Fill trim in with wood putty, sand and paint desired color, change out hardware. Good luck to you!
January 27, 2013 at 8:52PM   
sjkingston
Can you show us the upper cabinets and other side of the room? Seeing just this much and knowing the adjoining room is tan, I'd suggest removing the cabinet pulls and patching the lower holes, then painting with a soft ivory or the same shade as the grey floor (either a shade or two lighter or darker). Consider Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations for an easy way to paint and if you use the glaze, highlight only the edges of the molding ever so lightly. Don't do an all over glaze. Find some simple brushed nickel or pewter look knobs at Home Depot or Lowes type store. Then replace the countertop with preformed granite look laminate that now comes with an ogre edge at the same stores. Or if he doesn't mine he ongoing maintenance, get a butcher block counter from Ikea. Both options are inexpensive and since the counter is straight are not difficult DIY solutions. You'll need a drop in sink. If you do ivory cabinets, extend the floor color to walls for cohesiveness, if you do grey cabinets, you'll need to balance the grey in the room with the tan in the adjoining room. Matchstick blinds or wood blinds for any windows are an inexpensive way to carry the tans into the kitchen.
January 27, 2013 at 8:57PM     
slaah
Paint cabents in dark black clour this match your wall paints
January 27, 2013 at 9:02PM   
tdstonge
Here are a couple more pictures
January 27, 2013 at 9:08PM   
tdstonge
The adjoining room has light coloured laminate, and his furniture is beige and brown. Also the floor and paint extend up the stairs, and it would be a bigger job than he wants to tackle right now. He's hoping for a colour in his kitchen that would also work with the colours in the living room, but without replacing the grey kitchen floor.
January 28, 2013 at 4:52PM   
njmomma
why not paint them white, change knobs and handles to a polished nickle and paint the walls a shade of blue.
January 28, 2013 at 5:23PM   
slaah
It will be very nice idea do it now
January 28, 2013 at 10:00PM   
need help for my son's kitchen with limited funds
new daughter-in-law wants white kitchen. white cabinets...
Need Help for my son room
His wall are 2 tome merry gold on the upper and deep...
Need help with my son's room
The first pic (dark wood) is my son's bed. The second...
need help for my son's room
hey guys, you guys helped a lot. i really really need...
artwork
Do you think this artwork goes in here?
Lighting Help Needed
I neede help in figuring out fixtures for my kitchen....
What type of doors for this pantry???
When we got new floors, we decided to remove the old...
Ultra-modern style for empty Master Bedroom walls
Just got rid of Queen Anne mahogany poster bedroom...
Office cabinetry/bookcase color?
We built a new home about a year ago and I can't seem...