What to do with a Tiny Wet Bar in the middle of the living room???
Melissa Sigman
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Moving into a new house in a month and I'm trying to figure out what to do with this crazy sink. It's supposed to be a little wet bar area. It's so strange (don't have a pic yet) it looks like just a small bathroom sink, with a small cabinet under it inside a super tiny closet with no door, against a wall in the middle of the living room! The interior wall space measures about 2'.5" each way. There is a light on the ceiling above it with a cheap and ugly glass fixture around it. No wine rack, nothing to indicate it is a wet bar...but apparently it is. I'm thinking of painting the interior walls of it, replacing the light with something??? A prettier light? Take it out all together and hang a wine glass holder? Help! Any and all suggestions welcome!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Brenda Fisher
Taking it out would be my first choice! If they ran plumbing through floor it might be tough to patch, if through walls and accessible from below have it taken out, make sure both the drain and revent get capped off properly or methane will leak back into your house. If you can't get rid of it I would take the walls down and redo as a cabinet style bar. If you replace with a small under mount sink then you can put a serving tray with decor on top and no one will know it is a sink unless you are using it. I would just upgrade the light though as I think a wine rack in the living room is even odder than the sink if that's possible! One of the strangest ideas I've heard yet!
January 30, 2013 at 1:30am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Brenda Fisher
No matter what get the plumbing checked for leaks as this is a definite sign of a DIY without a permit and if they did that then who knows what else they touched. If this sink doesn't back onto a kitchen or bathroom wall then I would suspect it does not have a vent. If so it will be slow to drain, leak methane into house whenever the water in the P trap dries up and this is not only against all code but dangerous to your health. If this looks to be the case get a plumber in to inspect all the plumbing and contact your realtor to see if permits were pulled and if you have any right to ask for compensation. Design has to take a back seat on this one. Good luck.
January 30, 2013 at 1:37am