NEED HELP for my Bathroom

johncsJanuary 28, 2013
I am planning of a new bathroom the problem I'm facing with is the vanity. What you suggest. 1.Replace the basin, 2. Make the vanity top to a radius or more roundish one on corners, 3. Replace all or 4. Its ok!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johncs
Any help is of a great help
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 8:45AM
PRO
Myers Constructs, Inc.
Hi Clifford. I usually get some elevations and you didn't say what your problem is with the vanity, but lets work with what you show in the drawing.

Why is the toilet in front of the entryway? Is the toilet soil line/drain there? Typically we try not to move the toilet location because that is pricey and not always possible. But if you can move the toilet I think you should. We typically have the sink be the first thing we see as we enter the bathroom.

Would it be possible to move the entry to the center of the bathroom wall, then swap the sink and toilet locations? That would give you a more private toilet location. Then the sink would center the view of the room.

I think the vanity as drawn is nice. If this is a master bathroom or a main hall bathroom, you might opt for 2 sinks or a double wide single sink. But the vanity as drawn will be a custom made unit. It will cost $1500 or more to have it made. Add to that the stone top, sinks, faucets.

You show a wood floor in the bathroom. That is a high maintenance floor for wet locations. Why not opt for a plank styled tile floor? Comes in stone or wood looking tiles.

You will need to locate the shower drain (center left or right), and electrical elements like outlets and switches.

You are required to have a GCFI at the sink. Typically we have a 2 way switch for the vanity lights there too.

Code says you need a vent fan in the bathroom unless you have a window. But no one opens the window when they shower so go ahead and install the vent fan and that it vents to the outside not your attic space.

Be sure when locating the door, that there is room for door trim and wall switches there. You don't want to have a clipped wall plate which would look amateurish.

Best to you and good luck on your project

Diane Menke
Myers Constructs Inc.
myersconstructs.com
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 8:58AM
kathy
What don't you like about this bathroom layout? I like it!
It looks like you could extend the shower all the way to the right to have a grand shower or shower/tub combo if that's what you like.
The vanity looks nice - totally your personal perference on what sink to use.
If the vanity problem is the access to door then I would try to do something in the shape of the counter that echoes the sink, i.e. a round/oval sink = radius edge, a square/rectangular sink = a more angular shape as shown in your plan.
I am currently planning a bath reno and want to use a vessel sink, which with your wall-hung vanity would be very current. Even in vessel sinks there are many styles, shapes, colours....
have fun!
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:00AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I, too, would extend the shower the full width of the room. For the vanity, if you're trying to keep costs down, I would use a vanity over the left two-thirds of the wall, and then I'd put a storage tower in the shallower area that remains.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:17AM
johncs
Cost is not an issue. Just in doubt regarding the vanity. Plumbing is done and the flooring is not real wood (tiles by ATLAS CONCORDE ETIC PALASANDRO http://www.atlasconcorde.it/en/collections/etic/ )
I take in consideration the shower.
till now thanks for the help any advise is welcome
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:06AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
The vanity you are showing should be lovely. I love wall hung vanities! They look sleek and seeing the floor under them makes the room appear larger. I trust that there is storage that opens up in the vanity.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:46AM
tmva
Suggest a double sink or one large rectangular sink (undermount). Would definitely extend the shower the full length – you will not regret expanding the shower! Otherwise, bathroom looks good!
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 4:29PM
PRO
Dytecture
Carolyn nailed it with the lovely vanity and extending the shower.

1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 4:41PM
PRO
Lightcrafters, Inc.
I would mirror the entire wall above the vanity to give the room a more expansive feel. I agree with enlarging the shower.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:19PM
PRO
Lightcrafters, Inc.
I see there is no linen cabinet. If you don't expand the shower you could build one in. Keep it light. Maybe glass shelves. If a wooden cabinet have it float off the ground.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:56PM