NEED HELP for my Bathroom

johncsJanuary 28, 2013
I am planning of a new bathroom the problem I'm facing with is the vanity. What you suggest. 1.Replace the basin, 2. Make the vanity top to a radius or more roundish one on corners, 3. Replace all or 4. Its ok!
johncs
Any help is of a great help
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 8:45AM
Myers Constructs, Inc.
Hi Clifford. I usually get some elevations and you didn't say what your problem is with the vanity, but lets work with what you show in the drawing.

Why is the toilet in front of the entryway? Is the toilet soil line/drain there? Typically we try not to move the toilet location because that is pricey and not always possible. But if you can move the toilet I think you should. We typically have the sink be the first thing we see as we enter the bathroom.

Would it be possible to move the entry to the center of the bathroom wall, then swap the sink and toilet locations? That would give you a more private toilet location. Then the sink would center the view of the room.

I think the vanity as drawn is nice. If this is a master bathroom or a main hall bathroom, you might opt for 2 sinks or a double wide single sink. But the vanity as drawn will be a custom made unit. It will cost $1500 or more to have it made. Add to that the stone top, sinks, faucets.

You show a wood floor in the bathroom. That is a high maintenance floor for wet locations. Why not opt for a plank styled tile floor? Comes in stone or wood looking tiles.

You will need to locate the shower drain (center left or right), and electrical elements like outlets and switches.

You are required to have a GCFI at the sink. Typically we have a 2 way switch for the vanity lights there too.

Code says you need a vent fan in the bathroom unless you have a window. But no one opens the window when they shower so go ahead and install the vent fan and that it vents to the outside not your attic space.

Be sure when locating the door, that there is room for door trim and wall switches there. You don't want to have a clipped wall plate which would look amateurish.

Best to you and good luck on your project

Diane Menke
Myers Constructs Inc.
myersconstructs.com
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 8:58AM
kathy
What don't you like about this bathroom layout? I like it!
It looks like you could extend the shower all the way to the right to have a grand shower or shower/tub combo if that's what you like.
The vanity looks nice - totally your personal perference on what sink to use.
If the vanity problem is the access to door then I would try to do something in the shape of the counter that echoes the sink, i.e. a round/oval sink = radius edge, a square/rectangular sink = a more angular shape as shown in your plan.
I am currently planning a bath reno and want to use a vessel sink, which with your wall-hung vanity would be very current. Even in vessel sinks there are many styles, shapes, colours....
have fun!
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:00AM
I, too, would extend the shower the full width of the room. For the vanity, if you're trying to keep costs down, I would use a vanity over the left two-thirds of the wall, and then I'd put a storage tower in the shallower area that remains.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:17AM
johncs
Cost is not an issue. Just in doubt regarding the vanity. Plumbing is done and the flooring is not real wood (tiles by ATLAS CONCORDE ETIC PALASANDRO http://www.atlasconcorde.it/en/collections/etic/ )
I take in consideration the shower.
till now thanks for the help any advise is welcome
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:06AM
The vanity you are showing should be lovely. I love wall hung vanities! They look sleek and seeing the floor under them makes the room appear larger. I trust that there is storage that opens up in the vanity.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:46AM
tmva
Suggest a double sink or one large rectangular sink (undermount). Would definitely extend the shower the full length – you will not regret expanding the shower! Otherwise, bathroom looks good!
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 4:29PM
Carolyn nailed it with the lovely vanity and extending the shower.

1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 4:41PM
Lightcrafters, Inc.
I would mirror the entire wall above the vanity to give the room a more expansive feel. I agree with enlarging the shower.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:19PM
Lightcrafters, Inc.
I see there is no linen cabinet. If you don't expand the shower you could build one in. Keep it light. Maybe glass shelves. If a wooden cabinet have it float off the ground.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:56PM
need help with my bathroom
we wanna renovate the bathroom, but not to expensive...
valeria9
Need help with my bathroom
We have a villa in Spain with terra cotta floors. I...
gerrino
Need help for my bathroom
I'm looking for online bathroom product site on which...
pulkit saxena
Need help with my bathroom
I'm planning a bathroom remodel new cabinets, tub...
abc060569
Need help with my bathroom!!
I have a vintage blue tile bathroom in my new home....
Tahani Batista
White wall dilemma?
When renting a new space with all white walls, what...
Matthew Griffin
Help with white paint color for exterior.
I need to choose a white paint color for the exterior...
nola7045
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Should we paint our wood bookshelves white and our brick fireplace
We just painted our walls a light grey shade and have...
jhymer0506
Laminate versus solid wood floors
Laminate versus solid wood (click to read blog) Lets...
SYP Direct
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Miley 13" Wide Chrome Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Circus Silver Vessel Sink | Silver Leaf Bathroom Sink
maestrobath
Cast Iron Seahorse Wall Hooks - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Kichler Traditional Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
31" Granite Vanity Top with Undermount Sink
Signature Hardware
Rustica Brushed Nickel One-Light Energy Star Bath Fixture with White Plastic Sha
$149.99 | Bellacor
ALFI AB5601 Shower Valve Mixer and Diverter - AB5601-BN
$174.00 | Hayneedle
Lithonia Lighting Ceiling Mounted Lighting Saturn 1-Light Brushed Nickel
$56.74 | Home Depot